Quill Rain + Lightning Dam => Shock => Herald of Thunder?

Hi all,
is it possible to add lightning damage via other gear to a Quill Rain attack and trigger the Herald of Thunder gem via shocking enemies with a crit?

Effectiveness might be another question ...
BR
Yes you can do that.

I'm not totally sure but wiki suggests that you need to do at least 1% of the hp of the target for it to be shocked. So won't always work if you have very low added lightning damage.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Shock
Unfortunately, you need to kill a shocked enemy, and killing things with quillrain in endgame might be a tall order.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
The basic idea is to get around 100 light dam on rings/quiver along with a 5L/6L body armor and have there Split arrow with CoC and some spells. An Arc triggered by CoC could also trigger Herald of Thunder. The question is if I can get high enough with my crit chance since Quill Rain has only 5%.

The alternative I have is a 9% crit bow with 160 phys dam and 96 light dam. This one has only 1.2 attacks/sec. Possilbly much stronger, but quill rain would be cooler ...

Quill rain is definitely better for Coc, only outshined by windripper.
The 50% less damage might force you to get a bit more lightning damage, but it shouldn't be a huge problem.

And i'm pretty sure you don't need massive lightning damage as I think I trigger it with my cycloner even when i'm not running storm call with it. But I'm not sure as I have storm call most of the time.
Herald adds to your spells and attacks, so your fireballs/arctic breath and your attacks will still have chances to shock.

Try it for yourself. If it doesn't trigger add a bit of lightning damage on gear, if it still doesn't work, play with arc.

Range might also be an issue for herald.
quill rain, burning arrow, 3 dragons helm, static blow passive. (skips the need to crit. fire dmg will trigger the shock)

Minus the quill rain, I am using incinerate with the above combo, and herald of thunder activates everytime.
Last edited by loboSG on Nov 13, 2014, 4:23:00 AM
"
Quill rain is definitely better for Coc, only outshined by windripper.
The 50% less damage might force you to get a bit more lightning damage, but it shouldn't be a huge problem.

And i'm pretty sure you don't need massive lightning damage as I think I trigger it with my cycloner even when i'm not running storm call with it. But I'm not sure as I have storm call most of the time.
Herald adds to your spells and attacks, so your fireballs/arctic breath and your attacks will still have chances to shock.

Try it for yourself. If it doesn't trigger add a bit of lightning damage on gear, if it still doesn't work, play with arc.

Range might also be an issue for herald.

This and any crafted bow with a crit above 9% is better than quill rain. Not even close actually
Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.

Aristotle
9.25*1.33 < 5*3.

More crits with quill rain. It's a bit unreliable, which is sometimes painfull and you loose damage on the initial hit, but you still do 22% more crits.

As spells do the majority of the damage, you loose dps with your rare bow.

For a cheap solution, quill rain is the best.
"
For a cheap solution, quill rain is the best.

Death's harp might also be worth a look, it's slower but it has higher crit and that 100% crit multi is pretty juicy. You don't have mana problems with it either.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info