"leecher"

What does this mean? i've been wondering this for a while, I asked if anyone was doing ruthless ledge and they asked me if i was a leecher so can anyone enlighten me?
....._______
..../...........\
...|.............|_____...._........…
...|......o................V..VVVVV..\
...|.............________________/
....\_______/

KEYSUS
PoE rewards parties by making loot and difficulty higher. If you're in a full party the number of orbs/armor shards/whetstones that drop can be pretty lucrative.

When you're "leeching" you're giving up Orbs and weapon/armor enhancements (which is why they're farming) to the person[runner] who's killing everything. Rules depend on the runner

What's up in the air when leeching is
*Rare drops
*Your Involvement
*skill gems

If the runner specifies they don't want x orb it's up for grabs or if they pass by it and every things dead in the immediate area and they [the runner] move on, assume its up for grabs

Personally I grab rares and ID them then drop them, Ruthless/Merciless. Some runners grabs the rares and ID them and drops them on the next map

I've had runs where I was asked not to be so close to the runner, my last run I grabbed a shield and aggro'd/tanked/cursed stuff and they thought it was just fine.

Skill gems.. if it has quality leave it, if they walk off screen to find more mobs assume it's up for grabs.

edit Forgot to mention the reason why you're leeching, it can be a nice source of white item upgrades/nice socket layouts and free XP for just sitting around since you do not have to be in the immediate area, just on the map your party members are in.
Last edited by flashpoint on Oct 21, 2011, 9:56:01 PM
"
flashpoint wrote:
and free XP for just sitting around since you do not have to be in the immediate area, just on the map your party members are in.

As a small note, a proximity system for XP will be added at some point so you actually have to be nearby and/or engaging in combat to gain XP. The details haven't been worked because it's not all that important in closed beta.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
flashpoint wrote:
and free XP for just sitting around since you do not have to be in the immediate area, just on the map your party members are in.

As a small note, a proximity system for XP will be added at some point so you actually have to be nearby and/or engaging in combat to gain XP. The details haven't been worked because it's not all that important in closed beta.

What I always wanted to see was the reverse of what I had seen in another game. What I mean is:

When you party it takes into account the power of your gear compared to the average gear of that level. Then it levels you to the level of the lowest level in party. Powering down your gear to keep the same power level , but of a character of that level.

So if you are a level 100 with extremely good gear for your level and party with a level 2 you will be leveled down to level 2 , but with still extremely good gear for your level.

I don't know what to do about skills that you wouldn't be able to use at that level. Probably lock them out.
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
flashpoint wrote:

Aww, but leeching seems like such a nice thing to do. The runner wants the monsters to be harder so they drop better loot, and the leechers just want to sit back and accumulate XP. It seems unnecessary to implement a proximity system since if I want to have two sets of people killing mobs in separate parts of an instance, I can't; they all have to be together.
IRON MAN
"
^ They had that in Darkspore. Honestly.. you were still crazy powerful considering the disadvantage of level.

The loot system isn't set up to support this however. In Darkspore you had your own loot table, your own drops. So if you were a higher level player helping a lower one you would still occasionally find some decent gear. As the loot that dropped wouldn't be optimal level unless it was blue/purp/yellow whites would be lower than your average.

PoE offers 'world' drop basically and the higher level guy helping his friend (other than having fun) really is just getting the short end of the stick so far as loot goes.

I would have to disagree. They could still get the currency items and skill gems. There really isn't much point to leveling with a much lower level player anyways , except to power level them , as the system currently is.

I want to be able to level with anyone without being a leecher or a power leveler. I just want to have fun. I could care less if I don't get any worthwhile drops and the experience points are utterly worthless.
Different leagues for the different options?

Leechers league has the xp proximity turned off?

GpaS was here 2011/2012 <3
"
Dreggon wrote:
"
tpapp157 wrote:
"
flashpoint wrote:

Aww, but leeching seems like such a nice thing to do. The runner wants the monsters to be harder so they drop better loot, and the leechers just want to sit back and accumulate XP. It seems unnecessary to implement a proximity system since if I want to have two sets of people killing mobs in separate parts of an instance, I can't; they all have to be together.

The game is intended to be played. The idea of rushing to the 'end game' is a false concept ported over from MMOs that really doesn't have a place here.

Even if you split up your party in an instance you'll still probably earn roughly the same XP. Monsters will still provide boosted XP but it'll be split up among less people.
Forum Sheriff
"
tpapp157 wrote:
The game is intended to be played. The idea of rushing to the 'end game' is a false concept ported over from MMOs that really doesn't have a place here.

That's a valid point which I admit I hadn't considered. I've never, ever liked the MMO mindset of "you have this level cap, and once you hit this level cap you can go and play with all the high level content". However, in MMOs every player is expected to pull their weight, while here in PoE I can assist another player in bettering their character while away from my keyboard doing important, non-gaming tasks. Just imagine: your very existence is helping somebody else, without any real effort on your part.

"
tpapp157 wrote:
Even if you split up your party in an instance you'll still probably earn roughly the same XP. Monsters will still provide boosted XP but it'll be split up among less people.

Also a very good point. I don't think I really have an argument against this, except a personal belief that it should remain global for all group members. I'd say that each person in the group should gain EXP that is no less than what they would gain killing the monsters outside of a group; indeed, the EXP gain should be slightly higher. Difficulty increases as well, so it balances nicely. This would mean people could leech EXP without detracting from the EXP gain of the runner.

Also, if a boss monster provided a huge chunk of EXP, but someone was lagging behind and missed out on that chunk because they couldn't catch up in time, they would feel pretty bad about that since the EXP wouldn't be global.
IRON MAN

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info