Hardcore and Alt F4ing

People who say using Alt F4 in a fight is cheating are seriously STUPID.

Developer interview:

"
Mikekowa wrote:
"
Q:What are your thoughts on the use of alt-f4 in the game to escape death?

"
A:It's currently an accepted playstyle that allows us to design bosses to be more interesting. If you're locked in to *absolutely having to kill it with no hope of escape* then it has to be an easier fight.

The game is designed around the fact you can log out whenever you want (If that is a good or bad thing is a complete other question).
And you call people using this feature cheaters? Do you even know what the word cheating means? Back to school with you!
Last edited by Hartree on Oct 8, 2014, 7:52:10 PM
Then wheres the point or fun in hardcore? If you cant die, it cheapens it.

Its akin to savescumming in moria/angband.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Oct 8, 2014, 1:36:27 AM
"
tramshed wrote:

The fun is to screw with SC guys in forums...
... same as the SC guys have fun with post like this one.
Please go HC, hit lvl 100 "because of your fast quitting fingers"
THEN we can talk again, about your opinion of the difference between HC and SC...
and "cheating" with alt f4.

"
Hartree wrote:
People, who say using Alt F4 in a fight is cheating, are seriously STUPID.

Developer interview:

"
Mikekowa wrote:
"
Q:What are your thoughts on the use of alt-f4 in the game to escape death?

"
A:It's currently an accepted playstyle that allows us to design bosses to be more interesting. If you're locked in to *absolutely having to kill it with no hope of escape* then it has to be an easier fight.

The game is designed around the fact you can log out whenever you want (If that is a good or bad thing is a complete other question).
And you call people using this feature cheaters? Do you even know what the word cheating means? Back to school with you!

Only, this has not that much to do with boss fights, or PoE in general for that matter. Nowhere in PoE do you absolutely have to kill a boss "with no hope of escape", whether you use alt+f4 or not. You can always portal out.
And then, the danger of boss fights is hardly mitigated by being able to alt+f4, because of their spike damage. It is either boom-boom and your gone, or you have time enough to do some in-game stuff to save yourself.

I'd really be interested to hear of one boss-fight design where alt+f4 is the best and most sensible way to escape death. Where you can clearly say, "This boss was designed with alt+f4 in mind." I know of none at all.
"
twiztedmind wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:

THEN we can talk again, about your opinion of the difference between HC and SC...

You quite obviously didnt get it. You meant well though, and I respect that.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Oct 8, 2014, 3:44:43 AM
"
tramshed wrote:
"
twiztedmind wrote:
"
tramshed wrote:

You quite obviously didnt get it. You meant well though, and I respect that.

Dude, i can quit the game whenever i want! If I am braking any rules, then you can call me cheater, if not... this is all about some personal feelings... which i really don't care... moreover... Personal feelings about HC, from people playing SC... Thats like a vegetarian to explain me stuff about eating meat. Just stick with your salad, if you have fun with it and leave the people eat their steaks.
I wonder why, you all play SC, when the only difference between HC and SC is the ALF f4ing when you can stay alive...

Let me suggest something about SC then.... On death you lose ALL accumulated exp from your current level. Sounds logical to me... if you die, then you should farm your way back, and get some more knowledge of the game, otherwise, well.. you don't deserve to progress further to higher lvl, if you havent mastered the lower ones. Stay there till you get more pro... or have faster fingers, if that works for you. I bet then the HC will get much more popularity... And of course the game as whole will lose about 50% of the people playing, but hey, at least we won't read ridiculous posts like this one, cause these 50% QQ kids will be long gone.
Last edited by twiztedmind on Oct 8, 2014, 5:06:56 AM
PoE with its technical issues has lots of reasons for an alt+f4 escape. But technical reasons are really the only ones. Not the design - because it is *not* designed that way, no matter what Chris said - and not some delusional ideas about timely alt+f4ing needing "skill".
I don't understand all the hate for the softcore players. After some HC characters, I didn't want to restart all over again every death, so I went to standard. But it seems that HC players think of themeselves as superior beings for playing hardcore style. And then they use macro and ALT+F4. What's the meaning of this?
Desync? Shit happens bro, restart.
Reflect? You have to be more careful bro, restart.
Bad connection or old pc? Don't play hardcore, simply.

I don't want to argue, and I'm not saying "hurr durr HC is only ALT+F4" but I can't see the point in playing HC with macro and stuff like that only for saying "I play HC, I'm better than all scrubocre players".

If you play HC, you have to take risks, you have to know that something may kill you, and you have to be aware of desyinc. IMHO it's like going in war but when you are scared of dying you press something on your rifle and very probably you find yourself at your home safe and clean.

Obviously it take more skill, and also a good dose of luck in finding gg gear or someone that give you cheap mjolner, to play HC leagues, but I really want to see all people saying that macro and ALT+F4 are good things playing without and reaching 90-100. If in the first 100 place of beyond, ~30 are dead, without macroing at least ~70% will be dead. Only then you can really see pro and "wannabe pro".
"
twiztedmind wrote:

Dude, i can quit the game whenever i want! If I am braking any rules, then you can call me cheater,

Sure, you can logout whenever you want. No game ever will be able to forbid that. We all live in free society, after all.

But doing so shouldnt save your character instantly. It should remain in the game (on server side) for a few seconds, and only the disconnect.

I cant accept logout as "instant safety" button. If GGG indeed thinks PoE should have such a button, why dont just implement it? Call it "sanctuary", "TP to safety", etc, etc. You managed to press it in time? Gratz, you survived, although your map portal is wasted :).
Current desighn is just plain wrong.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
"
twiztedmind wrote:

Dude, i can quit the game whenever i want! If I am braking any rules, then you can call me cheater,

Sure, you can logout whenever you want. No game ever will be able to forbid that. We all live in free society, after all.

But doing so shouldnt save your character instantly. It should remain in the game (on server side) for a few seconds, and only the disconnect.

I cant accept logout as "instant safety" button. If GGG indeed thinks PoE should have such a button, why dont just implement it? Call it "sanctuary", "TP to safety", etc, etc. You managed to press it in time? Gratz, you survived, although your map portal is wasted :).
Current desighn is just plain wrong.

And why should I remain in game when I have quitted ? Cause you would feel better if its that way (not because it affects you personally) ?! Cause thats your perception of how the game should be like ? Why not staying in the war Zone for 2-3 secs, also after you have opened a portal and go through it ? or implement a 3 sec cast of the protal ? (You know magic doesn't happen instant either)... or better - just remove the portals from the game (so you can't escape from war and "go home safe and clean"), following the very same logic of yours.
And once again: ALTF4 quitting is NOT INSTANT. You can test it in SC.

@Mozzanator
I dont like the HC legaue being so empty, also I dont like dying either, and starting over, and losing time and currency. I dont like the fact that the economy is so weak in HC. I don't even like the fact dying without death being my fault (desync).
But I will always choose HC, because 1 reason - in HC i dont have to deal with retarded community. I wonder how you manage to deal with it If have been in HC before. Yes not all SC player suck. Some just want to relax with the game, some just aim at testing builds, some just dont like starting over and over, some are just new player who later come in HC, after they gained more knowledge of the game. The rest are just guys "wannabe" but can't, and just flame in forums.

Good luck to all of you, and stay safe !
this topic went full retarded.
SC players explaining how the game in HC should be designed.
Last edited by twiztedmind on Oct 8, 2014, 7:37:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info