[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
maffa50 wrote:
Not sure if there has been any mention of it yet, but what are the thoughts on Rebuke of the Vaal?
Seeing as we have some increased weapon elemental damage from passives and generally tend towards fast attacking, I think this could work quite well. My guess is that it would work best with Double Strike + Faster Attacks + Multistrike (maybe also Increased Weapon Elemental Damage?). Good AoE alternative to DS without Melee Splash Could be Cyclone.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Did buy a rebuke of the vaal yesterday, it was silly cheap so couldnt resist. It did end up in stash, because my slow hitting kurai axe did 30%+ more dps, and leech 3% phys->life. The one i bought it from did want phys weapons instead. Allthough didnt test with double strike, guess ill search the stash and see if i have a leveled one... would def use WED-gem with it, hmm i use it with all my attacks if i can afford the mana cost.-)

I definitely get full life most of the time given that the mobs aren't range most of the time. The extra 40% phys damage is very nice.
"
maffa50 wrote:
Not sure if there has been any mention of it yet, but what are the thoughts on Rebuke of the Vaal?
Seeing as we have some increased weapon elemental damage from passives and generally tend towards fast attacking, I think this could work quite well. My guess is that it would work best with Double Strike + Faster Attacks + Multistrike (maybe also Increased Weapon Elemental Damage?). Good AoE alternative to DS without Melee Splash Could be Cyclone.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Cyclone + multistrike = incredible desync. Might be OK without multi.

I would second the WED support gem with that unique sword. You would probably need a mana leech support gem to keep up with lowish physical and high WED multiplier. Also, you would want to get the Catalyse node which is not a very big increase with the standard build.

It looks like a decent sword, especially for those without access to a pile of exalts to trade.
I got Rebuke of the Vaal yesterday and have been experimenting with it in Docks. There was a instant +400 to my DPS which has now risen to +500 as my previously unused gems (Double Strike + WED) are leveling. The plus in DPS may be due to having an extra damage support replacing Heavy Strike in a red socket and having Double Strike replacing Blind in a green. 75%exp on level 67 so might get Catalyse soon.

Edit - @Sovyn my mana pool is too small (80) to run fully supported Cyclone (+/- 120 I think) which is a bummer. Although that was with Multistrike which did indeed teleport me to strange places after multiple uses. More testing ensues!

---

Was reading through the earlier posts in this thread and saw that you (Sovyn) planned to spec out of Resolute Technique at endgame due to having enough accuracy from Dex. The (what I consider to be) endgame passive tree still has RS included though, so I read on for a bit to see if there was a reason against taking it out. The next few pages had nothing but this is a very large thread so it could be somewhere further along...

So have I missed something? I don't actually have really any crit chance so I guess it doesn't bother me but I'm interested to hear reasons for still having (a potentially unneeded) RS. My guess is for assurance of a hit due to the build having not enough hit chance but eh ^_^
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
Last edited by maffa50 on Aug 17, 2013, 10:28:15 PM
"
maffa50 wrote:
I got Rebuke of the Vaal yesterday and have been experimenting with it in Docks. There was a instant +400 to my DPS which has now risen to +500 as my previously unused gems (Double Strike + WED) are leveling. The plus in DPS may be due to having an extra damage support replacing Heavy Strike in a red socket and having Double Strike replacing Blind in a green. 75%exp on level 67 so might get Catalyse soon.

Edit - @Sovyn my mana pool is too small (80) to run fully supported Cyclone (+/- 120 I think) which is a bummer. Although that was with Multistrike which did indeed teleport me to strange places after multiple uses. More testing ensues!

---

Was reading through the earlier posts in this thread and saw that you (Sovyn) planned to spec out of Resolute Technique at endgame due to having enough accuracy from Dex. The (what I consider to be) endgame passive tree still has RS included though, so I read on for a bit to see if there was a reason against taking it out. The next few pages had nothing but this is a very large thread so it could be somewhere further along...

So have I missed something? I don't actually have really any crit chance so I guess it doesn't bother me but I'm interested to hear reasons for still having (a potentially unneeded) RS. My guess is for assurance of a hit due to the build having not enough hit chance but eh ^_^

Thanks for your testing with the sword. I do think it's a valid choice, maybe not ideal but pretty good for mere mortals.

Yes, on various pages of the thread I toyed with the idea of removing RT once we get all of the dex nodes we get by traveling the tree, but ultimately I decided that even with all of that dex we would still need lots of accuracy nodes and/or items to get a 90% chance to hit at level 77 (when the character sheet stops adjusting). So, the final build in the guide has RT as you can see. :)

Yeah, our crit chance is pathetic without special gear for that and even then... so, meh.
About cyclone, I'm using it as my primary attack skill (concentrated effect, added fire, aded melee physical, faster attack) you need a lot of mana and mana regen. I personaly took the mana flow passive in the duelist area.

As for the desnch issues, I am ultra tanky so staying for 1 or 2s in the middle of a pack of white mobs due to desynch doesn't scare me. I still use HS+multistrike for bosses though, especially hard hitting ones that I have to kite.
"
Jhonnyboy wrote:
About cyclone, I'm using it as my primary attack skill (concentrated effect, added fire, aded melee physical, faster attack) you need a lot of mana and mana regen. I personaly took the mana flow passive in the duelist area.

Good combo if you can manage it. In my testing I could not come even close to keeping up with the mana draw of cyclone. It could be that I was out of range of monsters some of the time and thus not leeching.

I'm kind of pumped about the new attack skill called Reave that's coming out today/tomorrow in 11.4. I'll be getting it right away by killing hillock with a newbie Shadow (talk about easy to get).
"
Sovyn wrote:
I'm kind of pumped about the new attack skill called Reave that's coming out today/tomorrow in 11.4. I'll be getting it right away by killing hillock with a newbie Shadow (talk about easy to get).

I'm also very interested in this skill, but it does require for this build to use a sword. This is no problem for me but some may find this to be problematic.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
"
maffa50 wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:

I'm also very interested in this skill, but it does require for this build to use a sword. This is no problem for me but some may find this to be problematic.

I'm going to use a claw. :)

Nothing on swords and daggers that we need.....

Edit: I'm speaking of the Implicit modifiers only of course. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 18, 2013, 10:51:05 PM
Molochmane showed me a very interesting gem: Dominating Blow. With Multistrike + Melee Splash, dear lord... you can basically have an ARMY of minions having your back in those monster infested areas. However, the downside is the HUGE mana draw. I am having difficulty keeping up with using it even with mana leech + 150 usable mana (rest on reserved) + mana leech on items. I run a lvl 3 purity as well, and it keeps up extremely well with my original set up, but not DB when thrown into the mix.

I do see a HUGE potential though, really interesting how the mechanics work. May just stick to my IB splash and swap out HS with DB and just rack up minions for a safety net.

How do you guys actually survive Vaal Oversoul? I had to call in Molochmane's help just to get past him. And resist wise I am 75 70 75 -60. So far the monsters he summons kill me with their damned chaos bolts, and his lightning zaps just 1 shots me. I wasted 20 portal scrolls JUST to get back to him, and only did 5% dmg to his health (the rest I just died pitifully without even TOUCHING him). Thank god I levelled up before that. Getting stuck in multistrike motion while he raises his arms for a hammerblow is just... bloody painful to watch.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info