[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Xiaoyen wrote:
Side note - Get some chaos resist rings. I know Sovyn runs at -60 chaos resist, but the Western Gate itself (act 2), kinda ripped me apart running into a group of monsters. I will be hunting for more myself, but damn. Chaos dmg HURTS.

Any tips on 4 linking an item? I have a very good chest but my luck has been pretty bad trying to 4 link it to properly replace my current one. =/

Chaos: when your DPS improves and you max out block you will kill them before they can hurt you much if any. The ranged chaos damage is where max block, Ondar's and Grace synergies to avoid almost all of that damage.

4 linking: need to 5 socket it with jeweler's first, then your odds of getting a 4-link improves quite a bit. Find and sell 6 socket items you don't need to get a pool of jeweler's together. I have 100s of jeweler's from doing this. 6 socket items can be bought from vendors periodically. Check them all each time you level. Might as well snag the red-blue-green linked items while you are at it for chromes.

Thx for the advice again! Will keep an eye out for 6 sockets.
"
maffa50 wrote:
I'm so happy that this build is amazing. Managed to do the whole of Act 3 Merc without good internet (just under 2000 ping at times).

Also Chaos is no problem. Only time I struggled with it was in the sewers against some Alchemists of the Undying nature (with said 2000 ping).

Cheers to Sovyn for getting my first character to endgame! ^_^

I'm so glad. Good job!

Yes, the alchemists are dangerous to most people, especially the named ones with multi-shot capability. There is a small green AOE around your character that is hard to see when a poison bomb explodes. If one can step out of that area quickly, one takes much less damage.
"
Sovyn wrote:
I cringed a little bit inside*, but I added The Bringer of Rain as a suggested item in the gear section of the guide today.

* I'm self found and will never see it, and I'm trying to keep the guide friendly to the new player, but the item is too good for the build to not at least mention.

Hey Sovyn, I don't think you have to worry about scaring off the casual self found player. If they read much of the post they'll realize this build is viable with any gear - Well done.

Not to mention you just reaffirmed for me that I'm doing the right thing in chancing every Nightmare Bascinet(The Bringer of Rain) I can find. I've also been chancing Siege Axe's in the hopes of getting the Soul Taker.

I made 74 last night with this build, and ordinarily I stay pretty quiet on the forums, but this build is producing a bit of a community - I got chatting with Khavali in game the other day. So I thought I'd share some thoughts.

First, I really appreciate how flexible choosing your main attack skill can be. I initially did what you do (4 slot, HS + melee dmg + multistrike + mana leech (I haven't found decent leech gear yet)).

I agree that the above attack produces the highest single target DPS, and keeps the mana flowing when you might have <100 available for usage. This is the attack I use when I'm taking down a boss.

However, from my previous post, you'll see that I don't have a solid Vaal buckler (went on tilt and burned though my stash trying to craft a rare one). So I thought I'd try to use the crest of perandus to it's fullest extent. I swapped melee damage for melee splash (as many of you have recommended). WOW does that speed up the group fights. But speed aside, with the 3% life leech from the crest of perandus plus melee splash - I can leap into a huge group of enemies, and just watch the life flow in.

I thought I'd share that for any of you using the crest, but wishing you had a high evasion buckler. I'm finding myself fairly invulnerable in extremely large groups of mobs. And no I don't have epic DPS - with the 4 slot (single target) config mentioned above I'm only around 3000 DPS on my HS tool tip.

On an unrelated topic I'd like anyone's advice on this plate. I've crafted it from a grey, single socket, to this (wow did it take alot of jewelers):

Spoiler

If I'm able to 5L, or 6L it, do you guys think I should throw a few exalted orbs at it (assuming I can find some-HAH)? I don't need the resists of Astral Plate (plus I hate the way it looks). What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the great build and advice.
"
tylerj wrote:

Not to mention you just reaffirmed for me that I'm doing the right thing in chancing every Nightmare Bascinet(The Bringer of Rain) I can find.
First, I really appreciate how flexible choosing your main attack skill can be. I initially did what you do (4 slot, HS + melee dmg + multistrike + mana leech (I haven't found decent leech gear yet)).

I agree that the above attack produces the highest single target DPS, and keeps the mana flowing when you might have <100 available for usage. This is the attack I use when I'm taking down a boss.

However, from my previous post, you'll see that I don't have a solid Vaal buckler (went on tilt and burned though my stash trying to craft a rare one). So I thought I'd try to use the crest of perandus to it's fullest extent. I swapped melee damage for melee splash (as many of you have recommended). WOW does that speed up the group fights. But speed aside, with the 3% life leech from the crest of perandus plus melee splash - I can leap into a huge group of enemies, and just watch the life flow in.

I thought I'd share that for any of you using the crest, but wishing you had a high evasion buckler. I'm finding myself fairly invulnerable in extremely large groups of mobs. And no I don't have epic DPS - with the 4 slot (single target) config mentioned above I'm only around 3000 DPS on my HS tool tip.

On an unrelated topic I'd like anyone's advice on this plate. I've crafted it from a grey, single socket, to this (wow did it take alot of jewelers):

Spoiler

If I'm able to 5L, or 6L it, do you guys think I should throw a few exalted orbs at it (assuming I can find some-HAH)? I don't need the resists of Astral Plate (plus I hate the way it looks). What are your thoughts?

Thanks for the great build and advice.

Thanks for such a thoughtful post.

I have been chancing the occasional nightmare bascinet as well! Glorious plates as well. Never know. It's a lotto. I have not been scouring the items to get additional chances. I just hit it once when I find one. I only have 18 scours, I doubt it would make that much difference.

Might be able to get a decent axe with chaosing a siege axe. Mine is OK for example. Took only a few chaos. I suspect the unique can be beaten DPS wise by a top end craft. But if low on chaos, chances are a good approach as you might get a decent rare and the unique is pretty darn good.

Stacking life leech is a nice additional survivability boost. We get 2% with blood drinker from the passive skill tree. It's a start.

I think the reason you can use melee splash comfortably is because you are running the mana leech support gem, which leeches based on all of your damage, not just physical, plus it levels up to some pretty nice leech percentage. I do find that with just a mana leech item I can't keep up with the splash multiplier.

If you want to stick with Crest you can get the evasion I recommend elsewhere with a couple excellent hybrid pieces (Bringer of Rain is a prime example.)

As to the chest you are crafting, the armour percentage bonus is nice, and the life is good too. But I would not exalt. This will hold you over until you can get the Bringer of Rain. :) You could aim for 5L on it, just don't do it all at once, do a couple at a time periodically. Seems to work out better.
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 13, 2013, 2:45:48 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
As to the chest you are crafting, the armour percentage bonus is nice, and the life is good too. But I would not exalt. This will hold you over until you can get the Bringer of Rain. :) You could aim for 5L on it, just don't do it all at once, do a couple at a time periodically. Seems to work out better.

Interesting, does splitting up the crafting actually make a difference, or are you just speaking anecdotally? Also, I've been told that if improve the quality of an item it affects the potential result - does anyone know for sure if this is the case for fusing?

Thanks,
@Tylerg
If you are self found, probably you'll better save your exalts for a good weapon; one with high speed, flat physical damage and high increased physical damage, looking to roll a high elemental damage.

If you are a trader, definitely don't exalt it.
Your best chance would be getting a flat +xx armour. Combined with your high Increased armour would give you more and more armour. More if you're running Determination.
Save your exalts to buy The Bringer of Rain, that would make your chest useless.

Btw as a trader, I think it's cheaper to buy a white 5L chest (only 2 gcp), then alchemy + chaos until get a decent stats; rather than find a good stats chest jewel it up to 6S then fuse it until 5L.
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
"
tylerj wrote:
Interesting, does splitting up the crafting actually make a difference, or are you just speaking anecdotally? Also, I've been told that if improve the quality of an item it affects the potential result - does anyone know for sure if this is the case for fusing?

Thanks,

Having quality on an item increase your chances of rolling a good jewel / fusing.
The more quality, the better chances you have on rolling a good fusing.
But still your chances are low, don't expect to get 5L on second attempt, even with +20 quality ;p

Splitting the fusing process won't reset any counter and grant 5L wasting less fusing.
But you don't need to have a ton of fusing to try 5L.
Go for it, imagine you're crazy lucky and get 5L after spending 50 fusing. Why to wait up to save 500 fusing?
IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
"
kahoraho wrote:
Splitting the fusing process won't reset any counter and grant 5L wasting less fusing.
But you don't need to have a ton of fusing to try 5L.
Go for it, imagine you're crazy lucky and get 5L after spending 50 fusing. Why to wait up to save 500 fusing?

Thanks for the advice on this and the exalted usage!
"
tylerj wrote:

Thanks,

The quality improves your chance in theory. In practice I have seen no difference other than wasting my stacks of armorer's scraps.

Splitting up your fusing is a non-scientific observation. People seem to have better luck doing a couple at a time as they get the fusings. I see lots of horror stories about people blowing 500 fusings or whatever and getting nothing, whereas I have friends that were like "Oh, yeah, I got that 5L on my second fusing." /facepalm

These tend to be the really casual people who would not have more than a few fusing to their name.....

It could be that there is something in the code to prevent brute forcing it.

No one really knows.

The other way of looking at my advice is that it feels more productive psychologically to go out and get a couple fusing and try, and then go get a couple more, and try... rather than buying and blowing 500 and getting nada. :)

Edit - also there is plenty of anecdotal evidence out there about computer based RNG being streaky. I'm pretty sure I've seen it myself in other games. So spreading out your crafting attempts could have some merit based on that as well.
Last edited by Sovyn on Aug 13, 2013, 8:12:47 PM
"
Chris wrote:
Inner force is being buffed because flask effects are no longer buffs.

I think they are just trying to torture me now. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info