[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I am very new to the game and looking to find some advice from those more experienced. I love the idea behind this build but vast prefer to cast spells vs melee attacks. Is there a way/variant of the lazy paladin that uses something like frost nova or some such spell in a similar manner? I also just discovered Cybil's Paw and that you can dual wield them to block. In my head it seems like a potent way to deal high spell damage and be tanky?

I appreciate any and all advice! :)
"
whiteyfang wrote:

Can you once check my passive tree and equipped items and suggest what I should change?

whiteyfang, don't forget that blade flurry does not show dps on the tooltip but rather the average damage per hit. You have to use math to figure out your dps. Formula is in the guide. All that matters is how fast you clear though, various skills clear more effectively than others and tooltip damage numbers have little to do with it.

You should get more into crit, you haven't taken any of the crit nodes on the tree that I recommended by your level. Then inquisitor will help you more. Also, go for one red two green on scaeva (a fine weapon by the way) for the crit multi, like this with these gems:

whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify

Move the blue gems to the shield.

Get a romira's banquet and replace one ring for your mana leech and a lot of damage.

Flasks need work, grab an atziri's promise and some good instant life flasks.

You might like physical to lightning better than concentrated effect, or better yet, try increased area of effect for clearing.
"
Hey Sovyn, any chance when you have a few minutes free if you could skim over my character and see if anything's wrong?

Grab a Scaeva unique sword for a fuse or something. Much better. poe.trade

A bit low block chance on your shield, only 23%

I don't know if you are trying to stay self-found, it looks like it. If not, a better shield shouldn't cost much.

For hardcore, you definitely want to swap out elemental weakness for enfeeble.

I could probably do maps up to T5 or so in that gear, but I would have to be careful and skip some of the bosses.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 14, 2016, 8:09:25 PM
"
Grasq wrote:
I am very new to the game and looking to find some advice from those more experienced. I love the idea behind this build but vast prefer to cast spells vs melee attacks. Is there a way/variant of the lazy paladin that uses something like frost nova or some such spell in a similar manner? I also just discovered Cybil's Paw and that you can dual wield them to block. In my head it seems like a potent way to deal high spell damage and be tanky?

Blade flurry is kind of like a spell because you use it ranged.

If you don't like that, then you would be looking at a completely different build. Unfortunately, the spell damage nodes are for the most part on the opposite side of the tree from the block nodes, so it would be hard to fully take advantage of both. You could take the elemental damage nodes in the templar area instead of melee nodes, whether that would be sufficient, I have no idea. In my experience they are somewhat weak vs. physical scaling on the melee skills at least. Amplify would be useful in any case.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
whiteyfang wrote:

Can you once check my passive tree and equipped items and suggest what I should change?

whiteyfang, don't forget that blade flurry does not show dps on the tooltip but rather the average damage per hit. You have to use math to figure out your dps. Formula is in the guide. All that matters is how fast you clear though, various skills clear more effectively than others and tooltip damage numbers have little to do with it.

You should get more into crit, you haven't taken any of the crit nodes on the tree that I recommended by your level. Then inquisitor will help you more. Also, go for one red two green on scaeva (a fine weapon by the way) for the crit multi, like this with these gems:

whirling blades - faster attacks - fortify

Move the blue gems to the shield.

Get a romira's banquet and replace one ring for your mana leech and a lot of damage.

Flasks need work, grab an atziri's promise and some good instant life flasks.

You might like physical to lightning better than concentrated effect, or better yet, try increased area of effect for clearing.

Ok did some of the stuff you mentioned.

Equipped Romira's banquet.
Set up Scaeva as you said.

I can now feel that crits do kill fast. Previously I was having hard time.

Also, removed conc effect with phy to light. Dps dropped as expected but lets see how it goes. At least the clearing is fast due to more range.

Another question if I may. I will start taking those crit nodes like you said. But before that, do you think any node which I have taken needs to be respec?

Also, my current HP is 4.9k I think. Isnt it low? Considering the fact I have decent HP rolls on items equipped and all HP nodes taken already (I think)
"
whiteyfang wrote:
Another question if I may. I will start taking those crit nodes like you said. But before that, do you think any node which I have taken needs to be respec?

Also, my current HP is 4.9k I think. Isnt it low? Considering the fact I have decent HP rolls on items equipped and all HP nodes taken already (I think)

4.9K is not low for a full block build.

Your tree is different than my recommended tree. I would respec in accordance with the recommendation. It's not a big deal though.

3 points for a jewel socket, not worth it. berserking too soon IMO. could take 12% damage over 40% defense by Defiance, either way is fine. I would choose 4% speed over 8% damage by Lynx.
Does it pain anyone else seeing that 9 point Life rectangle not filled out fully (the one next to Path of the Warrior that we only have 3 points in)

So used to seeing it full lol, IT HURTS!
Oh also Sovyn, I'm not sure if you noticed it, but Shield Charge and Curse on Hit seem to be a bit buggy maybe?

I was finding it weird that I barely saw the Enfeeble icon above the mobs heads, thought maybe they moved it, so took CoH gem out, cast Enfeeble on mobs, always say the icon above the head, then put CoH gem back in, started Shield Charging, I'd say only 20% of the time did it actually put the Curse on? And in groups of mobs it would only get a couple at best even though all of them clearly got hit.
"
Does it pain anyone else seeing that 9 point Life rectangle not filled out fully (the one next to Path of the Warrior that we only have 3 points in)

So used to seeing it full lol, IT HURTS!

You can, if it helps your OCD, but you would give up quite a bit of damage to finish that wheel off. :) It's all a balance.
"
Oh also Sovyn, I'm not sure if you noticed it, but Shield Charge and Curse on Hit seem to be a bit buggy maybe?

I was finding it weird that I barely saw the Enfeeble icon above the mobs heads, thought maybe they moved it, so took CoH gem out, cast Enfeeble on mobs, always say the icon above the head, then put CoH gem back in, started Shield Charging, I'd say only 20% of the time did it actually put the Curse on? And in groups of mobs it would only get a couple at best even though all of them clearly got hit.

According to the wiki on curse on hit, it says, "Curses cast via this trigger no longer possess their area of effect property, only affecting the enemy hit with the linked skill. " So we can infer that shield charge AOE is not hitting the whole pack, perhaps monsters evade and thus it's not a 'hit' per se, or chance to hit may be rolled per monster separately. I prefer to pair curse on hit with Reckoning and put fortify on my movement skill instead. If you want full time curses, use blasphemy instead of herald of ash.
Last edited by Sovyn on Dec 15, 2016, 8:05:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info