[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

started to level a "Lazy Pally" yesterday.
Got the 40% buckler deadcheap in Anarchy League.
Very laidback and fun playstyle with this build.
So much fun I actualy switch to "clear all maps" mode ^^
I can facetank anything and yet the build does not "play boring" at all.
Switched to Groundslam (AoE) because I had 73% Phys Damage Mace drop and I just nuke through mobs. Shieldcharge is great for repositioning and my Heavystrike hits like a truck.
I even used Iceshot, Glacial Hammer, Doublestrike, Cleave, Infernal Blow... you name it.
The build is very flexible and allows some true freedom in style of gameplay while it gives you a very good survivability.
I even facetank all exiles so far, no problem.

Very fun build, really.
This is an ideal build for people who like a more chilled and laidback style of gameplay instead of nonstop rushing.
Also the build gives you a very good idea of how you can further develop your character to your needs. You don't need to follow every passive bit by bit without using brain.exe ;)
Thanks a lot Sovyn!

Last edited by Raffel on Jun 29, 2013, 1:07:19 PM
hi i start a duelist using this build now that i on act 2 merciless but i die a lot is it because i dont have enough hp ( 1261 ) or that my gear just bad ( also a self found )?
"
PMTrigger wrote:
hi i start a duelist using this build now that i on act 2 merciless but i die a lot is it because i dont have enough hp ( 1261 ) or that my gear just bad ( also a self found )?

Could be both, I'm Act 2 Cruel and have about 1300 HP, gear is also important. Can you show us your gear?

I switched my weapon form a cutlass to
and my AoE skill from Cleave to Infernal Blow + Melee Splash + Item Quantity. I run Clarity + BM for fast mana regen. Works like a charm now, and the sacrifice in IIR/IIQ is minimal.
A sword he brought, his foes to maim and rend,
from places dark behind forbidden doors,
But night by night he woke with frighten'd roars
from darkest dreams, too strange to comprehend.
(Anonymous)
"
Raffel wrote:
started to level a "Lazy Pally" yesterday.
Got the 40% buckler deadcheap in Anarchy League.
Very laidback and fun playstyle with this build.
So much fun I actualy switch to "clear all maps" mode ^^
I can facetank anything and yet the build does not "play boring" at all.
Switched to Groundslam (AoE) because I had 73% Phys Damage Mace drop and I just nuke through mobs. Shieldcharge is great for repositioning and my Heavystrike hits like a truck.
I even used Iceshot, Glacial Hammer, Doublestrike, Cleave, Infernal Blow... you name it.
The build is very flexible and allows some true freedom in style of gameplay while it gives you a very good survivability.
I even facetank all exiles so far, no problem.

Very fun build, really.
This is an ideal build for people who like a more chilled and laidback style of gameplay instead of nonstop rushing.
Also the build gives you a very good idea of how you can further develop your character to your needs. You don't need to follow every passive bit by bit without using brain.exe ;)
Thanks a lot Sovyn!

Wow! Thanks for such a positive post! I agree with everything you said. :)
"
PMTrigger wrote:

Thanks for posting your question! That is about half of the life I had in act 2 merciless. I was also max block by then (75).

If you have any alchemy orbs, you can pick up good white items with three or four linked sockets and craft them. I suggest level 59 or higher armour or armour/evasion hybrid pieces, and prismatic rings (11 or 12 all res) and onyx amulets (should be able to find at least 18/all stats). I think it may be easier to get a high life roll on coral rings though.

You just hit the item with four armourer's scraps (except rings/amulets), then the orb of alchemy. You will keep the ones that roll over 60 life and sell the rest to the vendor.
"
Thyrandor wrote:

I switched my weapon form a cutlass to
and my AoE skill from Cleave to Infernal Blow + Melee Splash + Item Quantity.

Nice weapon for Cruel!

I would of course suggest trying out a high physical damage bonus/attack speed siege axe in merciless, I think you will like it. :)
Hi Lazy Pallies

I have a Templar at level 62 which I can reset his skill tree, and I have decided to try a quite similar build like yours.

I like the idea of having high damage avoidance, then taking your time to kill your mobs. Also your sincerity exposing the build has convinced. I'm tired of reading builds that claim: I do 123873 dps, you have to use xyz, doh I forgot you have to use 4 items that cost >2 exalts each =O

I'm starting to buy some items to play act 3 mercilles. But I have some question.

I've bought a decent dps, think it's around 264 dps, 1H maze; the problem is it's heavily an elemental damage.

I think I can boost dps easily using 2-3 items with decent %increased elemental damage and Weapon Elemental Damage support gem.

I'm think on using Infernal Blow + Weapon Elemental Damage + Melee Phisical Damage + Faster Attacks + (Added Fire Damage or Life Leech). I could use 1 passive point to get Lava Lash (+30% increased fire damage with weapons).

1) I'm worried about having mana issues. If my physical damage is low, I won't be able to leech enough mana to spam my attack.
I've thought on use the passive point Blood Magic and Life Leech gem, that would solve my mana issues; but then I will have to drop several auras (I can live with it) and probably won't be able to use Tempest Shield (that fits perfect on this high block builds).

I dislike using Blood Magic gem due to the high life loose.

What would you suggest me?
* Going Blood Magic passive and reserve 25% life to Tempest Shield (less than 25% because Mana Reduction).
* Changing my mace to a phisical dps
* Use Blood Magic gem

2) Is block recovery problem?. I mean if you are surrounded by mobs and you block more than 70% hits, will you go perma - block recovery and won't be able to do anything until you die?. I doubt it because I haven't read anything about it on this thread.

I will wait for your answer before I buy more equip.
Thank you in advance.

IGN: Pintxo (Harbinger)
Online: 22:00 to 24:00 GMT +1 (Spain)
"
kahoraho wrote:
1) I'm worried about having mana issues. If my physical damage is low, I won't be able to leech enough mana to spam my attack.
I've thought on use the passive point Blood Magic and Life Leech gem, that would solve my mana issues; but then I will have to drop several auras (I can live with it) and probably won't be able to use Tempest Shield (that fits perfect on this high block builds).

* Going Blood Magic passive and reserve 25% life to Tempest Shield (less than 25% because Mana Reduction).
* Use Blood Magic gem

2) Is block recovery problem?. I mean if you are surrounded by mobs and you block more than 70% hits, will you go perma - block recovery and won't be able to do anything until you die?. I doubt it because I haven't read anything about it on this thread.

Thank you in advance.

1- *I am, still, running two auras (Determination and Purity) and Tempest Shield with Reduced Mana gems socketed to them and they reserve a total of less than 80% of my mana. It leaves me with a decent amount to cast Molten Shield, Reju Totem etc. I have tried using Heavy Strike without Blood Magic connected to it but with Multistrike it just drained too much mana and I couldn't leech enough with 1% Mana Leech on ring so I have gone back to Blood Magic. Now, Sovyn didn't have this problem but I don't know why I have it (my DPS on Heavy Strike is 2400+).

I am running 2 Blood Magic gems (1 with Ground Slam and 1 with Heavy Strike) and I don't see my HP going down, not even 100 HP, I just recover it instantly with all the +% Life Regen nodes. I suggest you use Blood Magic gems instead of the Blood Magic node but you should probably get Blood Drinker, Troll's Blood and Golem's Blood nodes pretty quickly for %2 Life Leech and %3 Life Regen per Second. If you still don't think about using Blood Magic ever, there are 2 %5 reduced Mana Reserved nodes while progressing to the Duelist tree (just above the +% Axe damage circle).

*Your mace does ~213 DPS but even though there are some +% Elemental Damage nodes, this build is not concentrated on elemental damage and I would recommend getting another one hander with better phys damage.

2- As I love to clear all the maps I am surrounded by mobs 90% of the time and I haven't found Block Recovery to be a problem at all but there might be some exceptions to that. My answer to perma-block recovery is, no. You can find more information on that HERE.

I have to stop writing down these wall of texts. I hope it helps.

Edit: Infact, Sovyn what do you think about getting those Reduced Mana Reserved nodes? One can drop the life nodes to the right of the Duelist tree (28% increased Life in total).
IGN: Altorparia
Timezone: GMT +3
Last edited by Altorparia on Jun 29, 2013, 7:19:01 PM
"
kahoraho wrote:
Hi Lazy Pallies

* Use Blood Magic gem

Thank you in advance.

*waves* Hi from the easy life.

1) I think that, since infernal blow still does some physical damage you may be able to get by if you either link it to the mana leech support and have a low mana leech item (1%) and maybe clarity aura linked with blood magic, OR try getting a high mana leech item (2% or more). Although infernal blow uses a lot of mana, you should be able to make it work without blood magic using one or more of the above suggestions.

You do lose some life leech potential going with an elemental weapon / attack skill. I enjoy not having to use life flasks as much these days because my leech is topping me up nicely now.

That weapon you have there is quite nice but a little slow for my taste. It would work though!

2) Block recovery is not a problem - almost all blocks are "free". Block recovery only happens when I would be stunned anyway if I did not use a shield. So I'd see a hit where I take no damage but get the stun effect. Basically only happens while fighting Kole. And I could not help but pick up some block/stun recovery on gear so it's really a non-issue.

Keep us posted on your progress.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 29, 2013, 7:45:26 PM
"
Altorparia wrote:
1- *I am, still, running two auras (Determination and Purity) and Tempest Shield with Reduced Mana gems socketed to them and they reserve a total of less than 80% of my mana. It leaves me with a decent amount to cast Molten Shield, Reju Totem etc. I have tried using Heavy Strike without Blood Magic connected to it but with Multistrike it just drained too much mana and I couldn't leech enough with 1% Mana Leech on ring so I have gone back to Blood Magic. Now, Sovyn didn't have this problem but I don't know why I have it (my DPS on Heavy Strike is 2400+).

I am running 2 Blood Magic gems (1 with Ground Slam and 1 with Heavy Strike) and I don't see my HP going down, not even 100 HP, I just recover it instantly with all the +% Life Regen nodes. I suggest you use Blood Magic gems instead of the Blood Magic node but you should probably get Blood Drinker, Troll's Blood and Golem's Blood nodes pretty quickly for %2 Life Leech and %3 Life Regen per Second. If you still don't think about using Blood Magic ever, there are 2 %5 reduced Mana Reserved nodes while progressing to the Duelist tree (just above the +% Axe damage circle).

*Your mace does ~213 DPS but even though there are some +% Elemental Damage nodes, this build is not concentrated on elemental damage and I would recommend getting another one hander with better phys damage.

2- As I love to clear all the maps I am surrounded by mobs 90% of the time and I haven't found Block Recovery to be a problem at all but there might be some exceptions to that. My answer to perma-block recovery is, no. You can find more information on that HERE.

I have to stop writing down these wall of texts. I hope it helps.

Edit: Infact, Sovyn what do you think about getting those Reduced Mana Reserved nodes? One can drop the life nodes to the right of the Duelist tree (28% increased Life in total).

Thanks for piping in - one theory about 1% mana leech being enough for me is that my multistrike and melee physical damage support gems were well leveled up when I switched over from blood magic. Also, my weapon probably does more physical damage than yours (guessing) so the leech would be stronger. Maybe more of your tooltip DPS is elemental and mine is more physical.

I do agree with using leveled up blood magic supports - but using a couple quest respecs to get rid of the BM node is fine too, once one has enough mana and physical damage to use mana leech.

The main advantage of mana leech over BM is being able to use another support gem. I also saw my life flickering up and down with BM. What happens if I take a big hit when it flickers down slightly? That's 100 less life to soak up that hit. And, flasks heal slower and less effectively when needed. I believe BM is super for mid levels but not ideal for end game.

I have definitely considered the 20% reduced mana reserved available on the passive skill tree to stack on more auras (I almost have enough to pile on Hatred). However, I think that I'll be able to have 6 auras running no problem end game without these nodes (the problem would be what to sacrifice as it would take a fair number of points to get these) There is not really any fat to trim - it would have to come out of life or maybe static blows. I don't think sacrificing life is a wise move. :)
Last edited by Sovyn on Jun 29, 2013, 8:11:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info