[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
scrooge999 wrote:
Hey, thanks for a great guide! I've learned some nice things here even though I'm not following the passive tree in detail (I took the two Axe wheels for more damage and Armour).

Just wanted to ask at which level you usually reach full 75% block? I'm going for most of the block nodes right now, but still won't get to more than 70% using Tempest Shield at level 60, and I need more life as well as more damage since things don't die as easily in Merciless...

You also mentioned the Anvil amulet, but it doesn't seem that crucial. Could you expand on that? Because to me it seems like a poor man's Aegis, which is exactly what this build wants (short of having the real one). Adding tankiness while killing monsters just by blocking seems very strong here.

Finally just wanted to show off the nice one-hander I bought for two Chaos - not very fast but hits hard enough I think.

Hi scrooge999! Glad the guide was helpful to you.

The current build in the guide reaches 74% block without tempest shield by level 60 with a Crest of Perandus. You have simply opted for more damage over defense, which is fine, although you have limited yourself in terms of your weapon and attack skill choices. DPS is pretty much only limited by your weapon (within reason). There are 550+ DPS swords out there. Your axe is 222 DPS for reference. Obviously, the better the weapon, the rarer it is and the more people want for one, as with anything in games or even the real world economy.

Anvil is excellent, but it does lower your DPS substantially and your movement speed, although the movement speed issue can be countered by using a level 1 movement skill (leap slam in your case, although I favor whirling blades) + high level faster attacks + blood magic support (mostly only if you have a fast weapon, which you do not currently). You also lose the spell block you could have there instead. Tradeoffs.
Thanks for your reply!

I don't think choosing Axes is going to limit my DPS too much, as there are very hard-hitting Axes on the market as well. I can totally see not choosing a weapon in advance when going self-found, but with trading it's more likely my weapon is going to be found on poe.xyz anyway than dropping ingame.

Two small questions on your level 60 passive tree if you don't mind...

Would you say it is a total waste to take the Body and Soul wheel? The small nodes are underwhelming, but the main node is quite nice even if the Energy Shield is only there to provide additional defense against getting one-shot.

I see you went all the way to the Ranger block nodes, but didn't go for the much closer Marauder block nodes (Aegis) providing a total of seven percent block chance. What's the reasoning behind that?
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
I have been using The Anvil to great effect for leveling. Spells are really the only thing that has killed me 2-3 times in crypts but that is because I gathered a ton of them to aoe down haha. When I hit 59 I going to switch my weapon to a Soul Taker and stack maybe 2-3 auras on my mana. 2 offense and 2 defense Im going to keep on me and just swap out as needed.
Last edited by Flavoflav on Feb 23, 2014, 10:12:41 AM
"
scrooge999 wrote:

Two small questions on your level 60 passive tree if you don't mind...

Would you say it is a total waste to take the Body and Soul wheel? The small nodes are underwhelming, but the main node is quite nice even if the Energy Shield is only there to provide additional defense against getting one-shot.

I see you went all the way to the Ranger block nodes, but didn't go for the much closer Marauder block nodes (Aegis) providing a total of seven percent block chance. What's the reasoning behind that?

I recommend taking Body and Soul only if you own Aegis Aurora as then both the armour and ES are useful. You won't have any ES during combat otherwise, making ES fairly useless -- Much better spent on life nodes.

It takes one strength node more to reach the Mara area vs. going around. The ranger nodes provide more block, high defenses from equipped shield which is quite good with the right shield, plus the 20% damage which takes a couple nodes to replace right there, a good life cluster, and we are over there for Ondar's anyway, so it's really very cheap for what you get.
"
Flavoflav wrote:
Spells are really the only thing that has killed me 2-3 times in crypts but that is because I gathered a ton of them to aoe down haha.

That's why I use spell block from Stone of Lazhwar, it prevents that. :)
"
That's why I use spell block from Stone of Lazhwar, it prevents that. :)

Oh I keep one of those in my inven as well lol, it does help a lot
Snagged another 12% damage/6% life node today. Gained around 100 DPS, which is fine, but it's such a tiny gain relative to the total that it just once again proves how insignificant damage related nodes are in general for non-crit builds.
Hi,

Finally a Templar build that I like! thanks!

I'm level 63 at the moment. 2k7 and 5k6 (hatred up) life dps

Here's my gear:

thanks again! Surely my character for the next league ambush!

Still a lot of changes to make, but I am already very fun :)
Last edited by vick666 on Feb 26, 2014, 2:41:38 PM
"
vick666 wrote:

thanks again! Surely my character for the next league ambush!

Still a lot of changes to make, but I am already very fun :)

Hi Vick! Glad you are having fun with the build. :) I know it's hard to get good rings with high life with everything else you need, but it will be a big boost when you can do that. If you do much trading at all, should not be too hard.

Hi,

I just drop the shield, I think that the starting point is good right?

I got on the piety ilvl is only 67, should I try to amuse myself crafter something even better?

thanks

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info