[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
tasll wrote:
"
benjiwoosh wrote:
Hey guys, Im planning to run similar max block build, exept with duellist (I like him better than Mister No Pants) but since I mostly run HC, one thing worries me - at lvl 60, where player usually hits A3 merc, we only have about 142% inc. life (thats 1750 HP naked and another 784 HP from gear [assuming we get 70 HP on every piece of gear excl. amu]) - thats pretty low for merciless, 2.5k HP. I mean sure, we got ~70% block and spellblock and evasion, but Im afraid that when Kole already hits us, he could 1-shot us.
And then, level 70, when we would probably want to start mapping - still only 150% inc life and 2k HP naked. Thats only ~2.8k HP... Imagine getting unlucky smashed by map Brutus twice in a row...
And then there's chaos damage... You only took one 1.5% regen node from the duellist area.

Conclusion and question - wouldnt it be better to stack HP early on (by 'early' I mean pre-60) by grabbing most or even all HP nodes and THEN try and max shield block?
I leveled up my char following Sovyn's guide and from my personal experience you need to distinguish between two cases:
1) high evasion/block help you to survive many white/blue/yellow enemies
2) high amout of hp help you only vs 1-shots (like crits)

but... I noticed that is better to have max block/evasion, the time that passes between two hits is enough to regen full life. When I was lvl 50-60, had like 2.3k hp and die very few times. With this build, high HP pool isn't a priority.

Thing is, when playing HC you cant afford yourself to die even once :P
"
benjiwoosh wrote:
Hey guys, Im planning to run similar max block build, exept with duellist (I like him better than Mister No Pants) but since I mostly run HC, one thing worries me - at lvl 60, where player usually hits A3 merc, we only have about 142% inc. life (thats 1750 HP naked and another 784 HP from gear [assuming we get 70 HP on every piece of gear excl. amu]) - thats pretty low for merciless, 2.5k HP. I mean sure, we got ~70% block and spellblock and evasion, but Im afraid that when Kole already hits us, he could 1-shot us.
And then, level 70, when we would probably want to start mapping - still only 150% inc life and 2k HP naked. Thats only ~2.8k HP... Imagine getting unlucky smashed by map Brutus twice in a row...
And then there's chaos damage... You only took one 1.5% regen node from the duellist area.

Conclusion and question - wouldnt it be better to stack HP early on (by 'early' I mean pre-60) by grabbing most or even all HP nodes and THEN try and max shield block?

By the time you reach Kole you will be level 70. Most successful hardcore players skip the map bosses anyway, unless they are a pushover. You can try taking some more of the life nodes earlier, it won't hurt anything. Just look at the 120 point build as a buffet. However, know that block is the strongest defense in the game currently. You will need good life gear in hardcore regardless of what you do, so your life will be higher than quoted. Regen makes no difference in my experience. You either leech it back right away, or take no damage to start with. or hit instant flasks. No time to wait for regen. One node is enough to handle chaos degen maps, np.
"
Sovyn wrote:
By the time you reach Kole you will be level 70. Most successful hardcore players skip the map bosses anyway, unless they are a pushover. You can try taking some more of the life nodes earlier, it won't hurt anything. Just look at the 120 point build as a buffet. However, know that block is the strongest defense in the game currently. You will need good life gear in hardcore regardless of what you do, so your life will be higher than quoted. Regen makes no difference in my experience. You either leech it back right away, or take no damage to start with. or hit instant flasks. No time to wait for regen. One node is enough to handle chaos degen maps, np.

People skip map bosses? I wouldnt know. Yet 2.5k nor even 3k HP doesnt feel enough - I assumed 70HP on every piece, sure, not a top roll, but Im looking for a build to start new league with, and even 50hp on each piece gonna be a plenty... Im just scared of that one lucky crit that goes through evasion and block and insta-gibs me :P
"
benjiwoosh wrote:

People skip map bosses? I wouldnt know. Yet 2.5k nor even 3k HP doesnt feel enough - I assumed 70HP on every piece, sure, not a top roll, but Im looking for a build to start new league with, and even 50hp on each piece gonna be a plenty... Im just scared of that one lucky crit that goes through evasion and block and insta-gibs me :P

Yes, most bosses with any risk whatsoever are routinely skipped by many people. Their logic, especially in hardcore leagues, is that there is no loot difference between an easy boss of the same map level and the hard ones, so why take the risk. As to life nodes, you can get all life nodes on your tree if you want (Path of Life Nodes, as it's called), but there is zero creativity there...... this build is more creative and arguably just as, if not more survivable. (I think it's MORE.) Do what makes you comfortable. The last thing I want is a hardcore player coming back in here and saying they died because of XYZ they should have done differently in the skill tree.....

PS We do run *some* armour, remember, your best armour is the first few thousand, after that, diminishing returns..... we have that.... and, if you want to make extra sure, curse everything remotely risky with enfeeble and use granite flasks.
Last edited by Sovyn on Feb 3, 2014, 8:47:45 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
benjiwoosh wrote:

Yes, most bosses with any risk whatsoever are routinely skipped by many people. Their logic, especially in hardcore leagues, is that there is no loot difference between an easy boss of the same map level and the hard ones, so why take the risk. As to life nodes, you can get all life nodes on your tree if you want (Path of Life Nodes, as it's called), but there is zero creativity there...... this build is more creative and arguably just as, if not more survivable. (I think it's MORE.) Do what makes you comfortable. The last thing I want is a hardcore player coming back in here and saying they died because of XYZ they should have done differently in the skill tree.....

PS We do run *some* armour, remember, your best armour is the first few thousand, after that, diminishing returns..... we have that.... and, if you want to make extra sure, curse everything remotely risky with enfeeble and use granite flasks.

Speaking of curses, I realize that those curse immune maps are the bane of me and my friend's existence. Not going to run those anymore, being unable to Enfeeble hurts me, and my friend being unable to use Conductivity hurts his DPS on trash mob.
Hi Sovyn

First of all, a BIG THANK YOU for your build. This build rocks and I'm already doing lvl 71 maps with a lvl68 char!

So far Im able to survive thru everything until I met a unique melee mob that does viper strike and that chaos dmg over time just own me :(. Is there anyway that is able to counter this??
"
dxbankai wrote:
Hi Sovyn

First of all, a BIG THANK YOU for your build. This build rocks and I'm already doing lvl 71 maps with a lvl68 char!

So far Im able to survive thru everything until I met a unique melee mob that does viper strike and that chaos dmg over time just own me :(. Is there anyway that is able to counter this??

I've read on the forums that people with about 15% Chaos resistance can survive Viper Strike when they have life leech and regen. That seems to be the only thing to counter it right now besides porting back to town every 5 seconds. The common advice for a long time was to not worry about Chaos resistance, but it's starting to seem like we need at least 15% or so to truly be safe.
"
Vulpix0r wrote:
Speaking of curses, I realize that those curse immune maps are the bane of me and my friend's existence. Not going to run those anymore, being unable to Enfeeble hurts me, and my friend being unable to use Conductivity hurts his DPS on trash mob.

I like enfeeble and vulnerability a lot, but some rare and magic monsters are curse immune anyway, and the point of the build is to not work too hard at this game. *chuckle* I find I'm not too reliant on curses, but I do toss enfeeble on a boss with especially high damage output (vaal smash, for example). That 26% less damage can be rather significant in those cases. :)

I like vulnerability best on my CWDT nowadays, it adds noticeable extra damage. I do have to remove it before a boss that I may want to enfeeble, otherwise it will annoyingly overwrite the manually casted curse. I may swap it for some other blue gem, perhaps summon skeletons, for those rare situations.
"
dxbankai wrote:
Hi Sovyn

Hello dxbankai. :) You're welcome! That is an impressively low level for 70+ maps in my opinion. But you won't be that low for long doing that content.

Since the re-buffing of the Undying Alchemists in 1.0.6, I'd have to agree that chaos resist is somewhat important for any non-CI build (but they have other problems). These Undying Alchemists are too common in some maps to ignore, whereas the two rare rogue exiles could simply be skipped. Blacksmith/Hillock variants too could be worked around easily, simply by using only single-target attack skills.

One thing one can do cheaply is to take two Amethyst Rings (13 chaos resist) and alteration until it rolls chaos resist as a mod. These can be equipped as required for the situation, and get you well over 0 chaos resist, which is enough.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
dxbankai wrote:
Hi Sovyn

Hello dxbankai. :) You're welcome! That is an impressively low level for 70+ maps in my opinion. But you won't be that low for long doing that content.

Since the re-buffing of the Undying Alchemists in 1.0.6, I'd have to agree that chaos resist is somewhat important for any non-CI build (but they have other problems). These Undying Alchemists are too common in some maps to ignore, whereas the two rare rogue exiles could simply be skipped. Blacksmith/Hillock variants too could be worked around easily, simply by using only single-target attack skills.

One thing one can do cheaply is to take two Amethyst Rings (13 chaos resist) and alteration until it rolls chaos resist as a mod. These can be equipped as required for the situation, and get you well over 0 chaos resist, which is enough.

Thanks for the tips, I was actually thinking of maybe running vitality aura to offset some chaos damage over time as to uphold being the 'Lazy' way haha! Switching gears seems too troublesome for me.

And I was wondering for a long time that for BOR, Aegis and Rainbowstride users, would it be better to forgo evasion rating and get Iron Reflexes?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info