[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Hi sovyn, thanks. Yeah, post 80 I didnt expect fast levelling, but I did get to 85 quite fast (by my standards anyway). Level 74/75 maps are still significant exp @ 85. I do maps solo just for fun (and of course my inner lootwhorechild hopes to get awesome drops etc - hasnt happened yet :P)

My slowness is nto just due to low DPS or not max runspeed/movement skills. I am just a slow player heh.

Yeah I am leaning towards a summoner too, probably will wait till the new skill gems are ingame next patch. My craptastic laptop may not be able to handle the undead army in parties (if more than 1 summoner) but hopefully it can in solo play..!
"
MildlyClever wrote:

My slowness is nto just due to low DPS or not max runspeed/movement skills. I am just a slow player heh.

You are not the only one!! :-)

I am lvl 82 and doing maps up to 69 atm.
It is easy going and i don't have to worry about death penalty.
Also i am able to run them with some mf gear (not really much, but better than nothing)
Not really good drops so far, but still hoping. :-)

Rushing through a game takes out the fun of it all for me.
The faster you reach your goals, the faster the game gets boring.

When i want risky playing, i run the docks with my farming char (226 iiq 66 iir).
With the farming gear the char is very weak and i always hope not to die.

But my lazy pally will always be the chilling one!
people make mistakes, but to get real chaos, you need a computer.
This is my standard gear. I swap out necklace for stone of lazwar in case map is full of casters. With stone of lazwar, I basically can prance around most maps (upto 74 I have done) practically immune to casters (projectile mobs are unnoticeable for us anyway in this build!).

This gives me 210ish IIR and 41 IIQ (and 260+ if I use secondary attack on gloves, double attack + IIR Gem etc).

I run purity of ice and lightning and have -60% Chaos resist. the neg chaos resist hasnt been a big issue till now for me, unless poison cloud issues/zombies come up heh. I have a good belt in stash I swap out if needed.

I always wanted to "use" an exalt, so when I had two I used them on the two mediocre gold rings - and got the + ES on both lol :(

I know there is room for a LOT of improvement, but I am just an IIR addict AND lazy, so I cant bother with "MF" gear etc :D

Last edited by MildlyClever on Jan 22, 2014, 2:55:09 AM
"
MildlyClever wrote:

the neg chaos resist hasnt been a big issue till now for me, unless poison cloud issues/zombies come up heh.

Yeah, the Spider Forest Map. No problem for us as long as we take off the melee splash and multistrike support gem and single-target attack the blacksmith and not touch the zombies. :) (Can pop in a melee damage on full life and faster attacks if possible to assist in the killing. Only takes a moment of prep to assure the win.)
yeah that boss is no issue. But, me being me, I did that map recently, and carefully took out the melee splash and multi strike gems off my main 5 Link. Then waded in and slapped him silly, when he got to like 30% I switched to my 4 L double strike (it is linked to IIR gem, blind...and melee splash!) and promptly died to the zombie clouds lol.

I had a double boss spider forest map, which I opened up in a pick up group. I practically spammed the group chat explaining to every one to not do AE attacks on the boss especially after he leap-slam-spawns zombies, not to run helter skelter (which makes him leap slam more), and if not sure, just to let me kill them both (will take a bit of time, but easy kills for me).

Every one was all "got it", "I know lol"....a few screens later we are at the bosses - who had leapslammed twice or thrice.

Then the OMGDPSIAMAWESOME dude in group (every pick up group gets one of those high DPS low INT twitch-finger rushers I think - either that, or I am just too old for games like this :-P), cycloned all over the place, killed every zombie and party (except me - who luckily was not in the midst of zombies) wiped.

The Cyclone Dude just left the party right away -I think he was pissed off at us for letting him down or something :(
Anyone tried Tempest Shield with Iron Will and Reduced Mana, and maybe Mana Leech gem? Since this is a high block build, does it help?
"
Vulpix0r wrote:
Anyone tried Tempest Shield with Iron Will and Reduced Mana, and maybe Mana Leech gem? Since this is a high block build, does it help?

Hey there again lazy Palies. It's been a while since I last played my Pally (still lvl 78), but this time I want to try again a slight variation for the build that looks promising (and might turn out to be very good or just not worth it). Coincidentally, Vulpix0r gave me the opportunity to pick it up from him.

For the following, we assume that we have no access to Bringer of Rain (with BoR, what follows makes no sense).

Cutting to the chase: gonna pick up the 4 mana reservation reduction nodes at the top left of the Pally's tree, getting 16% mana reservation reduction. Why? Because I want to test tempest shield+ blind on our Pally. It looks very promising in theory and if it turns out to be good it will make the Pally even more unkillable (for example, passively blinding the exiles you encounter could be huge imo), basically for only 2 more nodes (you spend 4 more nodes for the mana reservation but 2 less +2% block chance because of Tempest shield). Or 4 more nodes, but you get to use a GG shield with 34% block chance if you want to.

So, the plan would be to have something like Tempest Shield+Blind+Reduced Mana+Iron Will(or Mana Leech if you have mana problems, although I don't know if it makes too much sense). If my calculations are correct, with 2 lvl 17 reduced mana gems and the mana reservation nodes you can run Determination+Grace+TempestShield reserving 90% of your mana. With 2 lvl 20 Reduced Mana gems, only 85% of your mana. In any case, 10% mana seems enough for your Manaleeched Skill of Choice (I have 521 mana with only 3 +10 int nodes and a 20 int Stone of Lazwahr (need to get one with better int)).

Will it be worth it? Don't know, but 8% better auras and slight increase in DPS+a theoretical BoR for the poor (I rhymed there, lol) for only two more nodes look interesting enough to see if it's worth it.

I recall that ppl have already been suggesting the mana reservation nodes or Tempest Shield before, but I don't know if it was in the Tempest Shield+Blind context, so if ppl have tried it before, I would appreciate some feedback. Otherwise, any thoughts?
"

Cutting to the chase: gonna pick up the 4 mana reservation reduction nodes at the top left of the Pally's tree, getting 16% mana reservation reduction. Why? Because I want to test tempest shield+ blind on our Pally. It looks very promising in theory and if it turns out to be good it will make the Pally even more unkillable (for example, passively blinding the exiles you encounter could be huge imo), basically for only 2 more nodes (you spend 4 more nodes for the mana reservation but 2 less +2% block chance because of Tempest shield). Or 4 more nodes, but you get to use a GG shield with 34% block chance if you want to.

This has been discussed several times, naturally (what has not). :) I used to use and recommend tempest shield, however, I was unable to run all of the other auras I wanted and after the aura patch it became even clearer that there was no room for it, unless I wanted to trade, which I do not as self-found.

Here's the math:

two 60% auras are 120%. Tempest is 25%, so we are at 145%.

Can only use one reduced mana gem, only the highest one counts. Say we trade for a level 20 one, that's 71% mana multiplier.

So, 145 * .71 = 103% reserved

Then you take the lower route to sovereignty, not as good as upper, but we need our mana.... that gives 16% reduced mana reserved for 4 points.

103 * .84 = 87%

With, as in your example, 521 mana, that leaves us with 67 mana, which is enough.

You have to factor in the two nodes you will lose from something else though. So there will likely be a damage loss, unless your gear is super then you can drop the resist nodes.

There is also the inconvenience of having to remember to re-activate tempest shield every time you change areas, and it sometimes mysteriously deactivates as well, so you can end up running around with 71% block quite easily.

The only reason to use it would be for blind, and I'm not sure how effective that is when delivered only via tempest shield. I don't get hit much at all right now so it would be hard to notice a difference.

Edit, no need for mana leech supporting tempest shield, a 2% mana leech item caps out your mana leech queue, assuming reasonable physical dps.

Feel free to test this out for us, I think you may find it underwhelming as I did.
Last edited by Sovyn on Jan 22, 2014, 3:17:43 PM
remark to sovereignty.

you can take that node and run 2 x 60% and 1 x 40% aura with that nodes.
I did that to run grace + hatred + vit to support the life-cost of cyclone.

Regards Mith
Awesome build...
But one question, if i take one hand melee dmg nodes it will work as well with facebreaker?
Or if i use facebreaker all these dmg nodes gone be inviable?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info