[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Possu81 wrote:
Aegis Aurora is just a beast in this build. I am using now Determination and Discipline aura to get almost 1k mana shield.

There is a remarkable downside in this build tho. It's hard to get into groups nowadays since groups are "professional" and demand either high dps or high mf. Farming alone is very slow and boring too with this build till u get top notch gear. I am on level 71 on nemesis right now and have invested a lot in gear. dps with heavy strike is over 5k.

This attack gem is something I'd like to discuss.

Heavy Strike

Pros:

Also, another question. What's the best slot to get bit amount of chaos resistance in one time since it's horrible leak in my gear right now (-60%)

Thanks for posting your comments, Possu81.

You forgot one 'pro' for heavy strike - it has a built-in chance to stun which is a good defense and really interrupts monsters nicely.

I'm finding that Reave with a high DPS claw for life leech is quite nice. I've been experimenting with this on and off for months as regulars to this thread may recall. Probably my second favorite so far after heavy strike. Reave has a larger AOE size than ground slam but takes a few hits to build up, which is fine with a very fast attack speed. Swords work too, if one has a high DPS, fast sword (corsair or some of the rapiers are popular).

My experimental combo is Reave - Melee Phys - Multi - Added Fire. Add Faster Attacks when I'm using my 5-link.

Reave has a reasonable mana cost unlike some choices and has a built in AOE so no need for melee splash which I think is a very poor gem as the mana multiplier is too high for the tiny AOE size that it provides, not to mention it takes up a valuable socket that can be used for a damage support gem instead. That's why I favor AOE skills that have the AOE built-in.

With Bringer of Rain, 20 quality gems, a high DPS end game weapon (350 DPS), and some of the block nodes no longer required due to having BoR re-allocated to well-chosen damage nodes, I think 15K or more AOE DPS is possible. I'll never see it because I'm self found, but it's definitely looking viable even with bad gear.

To answer your last question - chaos resist is not really required most of the time (I run -60 no problem) with Ondar's and high evasion (40%ish on character sheet) as most chaos is delivered by projectile. This is what the guide is all about, if you don't have high evasion and Ondar's, well, you are not following my guide. :) It's not cheap to get chaos resist, but there are rings that have that as the implicit mod.
Thanks for fast reply. For some reason I forgot Reave totally. I am going to test that right away!

Actually I have one more question. I have used Stone of Lazhwar since u recommended it and I have been happy. I don't know how much that spell block helps me in low level maps tho since I could get something other very nice from amulet like +2-+6 lifeleech and life...What do you think about Astramentis as default amulet for this build? I have noticed that every attribute comes pretty handy and maybe I could fix talent tree little bit saving some dexterity! Other options are just standard rare amulets I guess.

But is Lazhwar so needed for some maps? At least might be good plan to just swap it on?
Last edited by Possu81 on Dec 13, 2013, 7:54:52 PM
"
Possu81 wrote:
Thanks for fast reply. For some reason I forgot Reave totally. I am going to test that right away!

Actually I have one more question. I have used Stone of Lazhwar since u recommended it and I have been happy. I don't know how much that spell block helps me in low level maps tho since I could get something other very nice from amulet like +2-+6 lifeleech and life...What do you think about Astramentis as default amulet for this build? I have noticed that every attribute comes pretty handy and maybe I could fix talent tree little bit saving some dexterity! Other options are just standard rare amulets I guess.

But is Lazhwar so needed for some maps? At least might be good plan to just swap it on?

I notice a big difference when using Lazhwar vs. not. I can wade into hordes of spell casters and not worry. This is a max block build, why not take advantage of it.

Also, Astramentis is too expensive and I don't have one.
"
Possu81 wrote:
Aegis Aurora is just a beast in this build. I am using now Determination and Discipline aura to get almost 1k mana shield.

There is a remarkable downside in this build tho. It's hard to get into groups nowadays since groups are "professional" and demand either high dps or high mf. Farming alone is very slow and boring too with this build till u get top notch gear. I am on level 71 on nemesis right now and have invested a lot in gear. dps with heavy strike is over 5k.

I use an Aegis too. If you invest in the right nodes, you can get ES well above 2k with Discipline. Also, if you hadn't done so already, try comparing Grace vs Determination. In some cases where your armor is not maxed out, Grace can give you more.

On attack gems, I just use double strike on BoR and has served me well. (double + multi + meleesplsh + (variable gem here - either added fire/melee on full/life on hit/item quantity etc) Am contemplating on using empower for the fourth slot to see if there will be a big difference but am still a long way off.

I'm actual now again at lvl 63 in Hardcore Domination. My equipment so far:

My blockchance is, with tempest shield, 78%. The build would be almost the same as you have, the difference is that I reach "Ondar's Gutle" alrdy and will not take the path to "Precise Interception". I will now take "One Handes Damage and Life" at southwest twice, and then try to reach the chaos resi and lifenodes. My mainproblem are my lifepoints, I had no luck with it so far.

I also tried my luck with a shield and get that one:

The blockchance itself is nice, but all other stats could be better. Will try it again later, if I survive Vaal :D
Hi again Sovyn!

Been following this guide since I started playing the game, and you've done a great job! Got my Templar to level 84 and still loving it.

Now, if I were to use a Bringer of Rain, along side a 37%+ chance to block shield, what exact skills would you replace, and where would you use the spare ones?

I'm contemplating on whether to or not to start heading for a BoR now, and am just starting to think about where I'd put the extra points due to not needing all the block nodes I already have.

Thanks again!
Last edited by Creative123 on Dec 14, 2013, 1:58:58 PM
"
Creative123 wrote:

Now, if I were to use a Bringer of Rain, along side a 37%+ chance to block shield, what exact skills would you replace, and where would you use the spare ones?

In reason I have to do more or less the same descision (with lvl 63), I controlled the talentsheet carefuly over and over. And then decided to put two free points in "One Handed Damage and Life". With two simple points you get 24% more phys dmg and 12% life.

The talents are at the soutwest corner. You don't have to spend any point to reach them directly :)

A thing I search over and over is another node with "block chance applied to spells", are there none?
Last edited by Firderis on Dec 14, 2013, 1:16:16 PM
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
Possu81 wrote:

I notice a big difference when using Lazhwar vs. not. I can wade into hordes of spell casters and not worry. This is a max block build, why not take advantage of it.

Also, Astramentis is too expensive and I don't have one.

I started to try out Reave. It's now on lvl 8 dealing about 6k with BoR. I am not sure is lack of knockback good or bad thing. I might try Double Strike later but I don't expect anything spectacular from that. I also found cheap Astramentis for 2ex which I tried out. It definitely solves all attribute problems and gives little bit everything but I started to notice it too there is a difference on some fights when I got about -40% spell block (still got 9% that).

One note. You talked abour 350dps 1hander. I have noticed over 280pdps 1handers are very rare on the boards and if u find just exceptional like 320dps+ with good stats it's something like 15ex or even more which is A LOT. I wonder do they drop so rarely or are people just selling best stuff somewhere else...
Last edited by Possu81 on Dec 14, 2013, 1:40:59 PM

I found this today. Good find? I'm only at 67% block without Tempest Shield, though.
Last edited by Widgetworks on Dec 14, 2013, 1:52:16 PM
"
Widgetworks wrote:

I found this today. Good find? I'm only at 67% block without Tempest Shield, though.

Well, it has 51% cold resi, all others 15% and then even 72 life with a 5% add. block chance. I would use it :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info