[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

so I tried using tempest shield for a bit with blind, but it didn't feel very powerful. it's ok though.
now here's another idea I wanna try:
I have a 17% molten shell sitting around, and since I'm lacking armor anyways, it might help. then I read that it pops after about 2000 damage (@lvl 19) is absorbed by armor and blocking! that made me think, since I block a LOT (not sure if spell block counts as well), it probably pops all the time, dealing about 2k damage without any aura buffs.

can't wait to try this out :)
I was thinking of linking it with either blind/fire pen/conc effect/red mana or chance to ignite.
with chance to ignite it'll have a 65% chance to ignite bec. of the quality molten shell.

any thoughts?

the only downside is probably that I'll have to recast it all the time...
You could try Molten Shell + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation for a kind of pseudo discharge.
Also congrats Sovyn on 100 pages :)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/532639/filter-account-type/staff
yeah congrats sovyn! :)
well I have only 3 sockets left to use it, so it'll be molten shell, one support and either red. mana or blood magic. I'll have to try what works better.

I want to find out if my 65% spell block are factoring into the molten shell calculation, or if it's just physical damage block.
Works with any block as far as I know. And I imagine it'll pretty much be instant explosions upon cast.

Edit: While we're on the subject of standing around and barely taking damage, through some difficulty I managed to pick up an Aegis Aurora. My build is kind of a mess while I figure out what I want, but this shield literally allows you to take a nap in the middle of a screen of mobs.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Sep 9, 2013, 6:24:11 PM
I'm gonna try it tonight :)
with 75 block and 65 spell block I hope it'll go POP POP POP! I had kinda forgotten about the skill, but I used it before and remember it to be a little annoying cause it needs constant recasting.
should be fun though...

Great build! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a newbie, just looking for a easy to play build, so I could get into the game and learn the ropes.

Thanks a lot.
@tommigee - molten shell is fine but you will have to cast it an awful lot - pretty much right in there with enduring cry and granites on the "not so lazy anymore" end of things. :) Pretty sure spell damage blocked will count - PoE gem descriptions are pretty literal and it says "cumulative damage prevented by your blocking", not "cumulative physical damage prevented by your blocking". In any case, you will need a blood magic support on it as you will end up out of mana constantly for your main attack thus losing lots of DPS.

@maffa50 Yeah, thanks - quite a book we have going here!

@Morwys Glad to have you aboard. :) Worked great for me as my first character, even self found (yeah, he's over 7 months old now, wow).
"
seiferoth10 wrote:
While we're on the subject of standing around and barely taking damage, through some difficulty I managed to pick up an Aegis Aurora. My build is kind of a mess while I figure out what I want, but this shield literally allows you to take a nap in the middle of a screen of mobs.

The Aegis Aurora is rare but quite powerful with this build. You will want Mind and Matter and some decent Armour/ES hybrid gear. For true defensiveness you may need to figure out a way to cram on about 700 evasion from gear too. Tall order. Maybe you will find the evasion unnecessary with Aegis Aurora as you would only block less as evasion is checked before block and thus a lost ES regain opportunity. I would not leave home without my evasion, but you can tell us perhaps if with your Aegis Aurora you can still do maps easily without any serious evasion or not.
"
Sovyn wrote:
@tommigee - molten shell is fine but you will have to cast it an awful lot - pretty much right in there with enduring cry and granites on the "not so lazy anymore" end of things. :) Pretty sure spell damage blocked will count - PoE gem descriptions are pretty literal and it says "cumulative damage prevented by your blocking", not "cumulative physical damage prevented by your blocking". In any case, you will need a blood magic support on it as you will end up out of mana constantly for your main attack thus losing lots of DPS.

haha, yeah. I didn't mean to spam your thread with 'un-lazy' things :)
I'll definitely use blood magic, as my mana right now is just enough to support my main skill (7-link lightning strike) with 3 percent auras.
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
seiferoth10 wrote:
While we're on the subject of standing around and barely taking damage, through some difficulty I managed to pick up an Aegis Aurora. My build is kind of a mess while I figure out what I want, but this shield literally allows you to take a nap in the middle of a screen of mobs.

The Aegis Aurora is rare but quite powerful with this build. You will want Mind and Matter and some decent Armour/ES hybrid gear. For true defensiveness you may need to figure out a way to cram on about 700 evasion from gear too. Tall order. Maybe you will find the evasion unnecessary with Aegis Aurora as you would only block less as evasion is checked before block and thus a lost ES regain opportunity. I would not leave home without my evasion, but you can tell us perhaps if with your Aegis Aurora you can still do maps easily without any serious evasion or not.

Yup, that's what I've been mulling over. There's a popular Marauder build that uses Iron Reflexes so that they basically have block and incredible armor (Infernal Tank build if anyone's curious), but no evasion.

With my tree it's between 35% reduction from armor and 37% evasion, or straight ~55% damage reduction from armor and no evasion (but blind still works while I still have a Bringer for now). The reason I don't want to go Iron Reflexes is because of the clause "Dexterity provides no bonus to evasion rating" in it's description. That just seems like a huge waste of dex to me. With blind, evasion, and block, bosses very rarely hit me, but when they do I only have ~35% armor compared to the IR build that has ~55% armor. It's a choice between high stakes gambling (the very rare huge hit) versus consistency (more common softer hits).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info