Problem with Physical builds.

physical builds are far far superior to elemental builds

1) Mobs can't resist physical

2) your physical and elemental damage scales with physical nodes

3) You can do elemental damage combined with physical without sacrificing anything

Basically, this means that physical builds get all the status ailments of elemental builds without having to worry about resists or getting ele nodes.

Elemental builds get the short end of the stick because they can only scale elemental damage, have to sacrifice a lot to penetrate mobs resists (which are seemingly +50% resistant) and only get to do elemental damage of the type they choose (aka fireball will not be able to freeze mobs, etc) without making further sacrifices

Physical gets it all, insane damage scaling, no resists, all status ailments easily. I'd like you to explain to me how that's a problem.
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
"
Mivo wrote:
I wish you could as easily add physical damage to spellcaster/elemental builds.

Spellcaster: Ethereal Knives says hello.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
demivion wrote:
physical builds are far far superior to elemental builds

1) Mobs can't resist physical

2) your physical and elemental damage scales with physical nodes

3) You can do elemental damage combined with physical without sacrificing anything

Basically, this means that physical builds get all the status ailments of elemental builds without having to worry about resists or getting ele nodes.

Elemental builds get the short end of the stick because they can only scale elemental damage, have to sacrifice a lot to penetrate mobs resists (which are seemingly +50% resistant) and only get to do elemental damage of the type they choose (aka fireball will not be able to freeze mobs, etc) without making further sacrifices

Physical gets it all, insane damage scaling, no resists, all status ailments easily. I'd like you to explain to me how that's a problem.

If mobs have 75% resistance then you use a penetration gem.

End result? Physical builds have ~64% damage effectiveness (becauset hey don't have any elemental penetration) and elemental builds have 62 to 65% damage effectiveness (because they have penetration - depends on whether they use +skills gear or not).

In that regard it is exactly equal. Also due to how resistances work and how little of your damage is going to be cold you're not going to freeze targets anyway. If monsters have any less resistances than 75% then elemental is already winning out. If you add dual elemental resist curse on top of that you're probably multiplying your damage already.
@Aelloon
"
Why the hell is vulnerability a BLUE curse in the first place?

Balance. A powerful curse like that will need an investment if you're on the typical str side of the tree.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
"
ciknay wrote:
"
Why the hell is vulnerability a BLUE curse in the first place?

Balance. A powerful curse like that will need an investment if you're on the typical str side of the tree.

What? No, by that logic a powerful curse like Elemental Weakness should be pure Strength so casters also "need an investment". It makes no sense.

I think GGG simply messed up with Vulnerability being pure Intelligence (it's not even hybrid Int/Str). Other curses like Projectile Weakness is a pure dexterity skill for dexterity builds. So why isn't Vulnerability a pure strength skill for strength builds?

Virtually all melee physical attack builds can only get around 30 extra intelligence from the passive tree without wasting too many points. So that's around 44 intelligence including base stats, which is not even enough to cast a level 1 Vulnerability (58 Int). Even with intelligence on gear, my level 80+ Mara/Duelist characters usually cannot cast Vulnerability beyond level 8 or 9. It's kind of stupid if you ask me (pun intended), while every other build gets to cast their curses at max level, with no "investment" required.
Last edited by Meridin on Sep 15, 2014, 11:27:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info