Question about Lightning Strike + Added Fire Damage

Is the added fire damage support gem calculated after or before the conversion to lightning? Also, with the Iron Grip keystone, assuming no melee damage passives/mods, will the projectiles be dealing 100% of the melee attack (with 70% effectiveness)?

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18361/page/1
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/65351

I read those two threads, but this quote got me a bit confused:
"
chrisguitar wrote:
"
Exxar wrote:
"
chrisguitar wrote:
But it kinda threw me into an identity crisis regarding: why did i choose Templar over Marauder for a 2H-Lightning-Strike build?

So you can go for a Lightning Strike staff templar that uses armor, mana and ES for example. That's what I'll do, in addition to my two-handed axe Lightning Strike marauder that uses blood magic and armor only. As a templar, you also have better access to elemental resists, the best elemental weapon damage cluster in the whole tree, etc. Each starting point has its own benefits :)

Problem is: elemental weapon damage doesn't apply to the projectiles...
It's kind of contra-intuitive that physical damage modifiers are far more useful for an elemental attack like Lightning strike.

I assume this is just a bit of misinformation? Even something like added chaos damage support gem would work on the projectile and melee attack, right?
ign: aan_allein_daishan
And as I replied in that thread, elemental weapon damage does affect the projectiles.
Last edited by Exxar on Feb 5, 2013, 11:22:58 AM
"
koticgood wrote:
Also, with the Iron Grip keystone, assuming no melee damage passives/mods, will the projectiles be dealing 100% of the melee attack (with 70% effectiveness)?

That part was confirmed by GGG. Iron Grip enables the strength bonus. However as a projectile it still won't benefit from Melee Physical Damage support gem and other melee physical passive nodes (confirmed on page 3 of GGG answers). Not to be confused with weapon damage nodes, which do apply.

So TLDR Iron Grip does not necessarily make the damage identical to the melee damage (ignoring the -30% projectile damage to simplify). It would be the same only if you used weapon nodes and no "melee damage" support gems or passives. But regardless it will be higher than without. I think Iron Grip is worth it if you have a ton of STR like 350+ at which point the cost of getting Iron Grip may be lower than what it would cost you to get the Strength % through additional weapon nodes.

On the other hand if you also want to use Lightning Strike as your main melee skill, as Kripps did in his "Xena Warrior Princess" build =) then it would make more sense to just go weapon damage all the way to convert a maximum of phys. dmg to Lightning so your melee attack is also strong.
Last edited by DeF46 on Feb 5, 2013, 11:33:48 AM
"
DeF46 wrote:
"
koticgood wrote:
Also, with the Iron Grip keystone, assuming no melee damage passives/mods, will the projectiles be dealing 100% of the melee attack (with 70% effectiveness)?

That part was confirmed by GGG. Iron Grip enables the strength bonus. However as a projectile it still won't benefit from Melee Physical Damage support gem and other melee physical passive nodes (confirmed on page 3 of GGG answers). Not to be confused with weapon damage nodes, which do apply.

So TLDR Iron Grip does not necessarily make the damage identical to the melee damage (ignoring the -30% projectile damage to simplify). It would be the same only if you used weapon nodes and no "melee damage" support gems or passives. But regardless it will be higher than without. I think Iron Grip is worth it if you have a ton of STR like 350+ at which point the cost of getting Iron Grip may be lower than what it would cost you to get the Strength % through additional weapon nodes.

On the other hand if you also want to use Lightning Strike as your main melee skill, as Kripps did in his "Xena Warrior Princess" build =) then it would make more sense to just go weapon damage all the way to convert a maximum of phys. dmg to Lightning so your melee attack is also strong.

Thanks!

@exxar sorry, i saw your post about the % elemental nodes, but I was questioning stuff like flat mods such as added chaos damage.

Also, how about the added fire damage part?
ign: aan_allein_daishan
Last edited by koticgood on Feb 5, 2013, 11:58:34 AM
Not sure about it otherwise I'd have answered :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info