Questions Regarding the Closed Beta

Wow, there's actually a surprising amount of misinformation in this thread!

Act one and two of four difficulties (and an experimental end-game area) are included.

The party limit is currently six people.

There's a limit of 24 characters per account.

Crafting using currency items is available.

The story elements will be added as they are available. It's a bit sparse currently but we'll get it all in there before Open Beta.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
I just stated what I thought I knew... but this is better news! Thanks Chris... wow 24 characters/ player!!!!???
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
"
Chris wrote:

Act one and two of four difficulties (and an experimental end-game area) are included.

The story elements will be added as they are available. It's a bit sparse currently but we'll get it all in there before Open Beta.

Wow...what!!!???!?!? 24?!?!!? thats more than enough to experiment with a lot of builds D:
"...You know the difference between arrogance and confidence?

Confidence can back its shit up." -Charan
"
Chris wrote:

Take that, you 10-character D3! :D So... Act 1 & 2 of four announced difficulties... umm, so we level up in first two acts to where we can handle the first 2 acts of next available difficulty, or how is it going to work exactly? I mean, I would think that you'd have to progress through all acts before going to next difficulty, otherwise grind is going to be insane. Unless I'm missing something?

Just got an answer from Jonathan on IRC:

[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> Jonathan, are you still here?
[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> I got a quick question.
[02:30] <Jonathan___> yes
[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> hey, Chris said that we'll be able to play act 1 and 2 of four difficulties
[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> how exactly is that going to work
[02:31] <Jonathan___> What do you mean?
[02:31] <bkboggy|Blender> since there is not 2 acts per difficulty, we would not be able to level up in the remaining acts to progress to the next difficulty
[02:31] <bkboggy|Blender> we would have to grind it out in the 2nd act to be strong enough to progress
[02:31] <Jonathan___> The game is balanced to work with only two acts while there are only two acts
[02:31] <bkboggy|Blender> ahh, so it's adjusted for the beta?
[02:31] <Jonathan___> The balance numbers are arrived at using math formulas
[02:31] <Jonathan___> rather than just being typed in
[02:32] <Jonathan___> so if we just change the levels on the areas, it just rebalances automatically
[02:32] <bkboggy|Blender> gotcha, so it splits up difficulty and progression between the number of acts
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Last edited by bkboggy on Aug 3, 2011, 5:34:59 AM
"
bkboggy wrote:

Take that, you 10-character D3! :D So... Act 1 & 2 of four announced difficulties... umm, so we level up in first two acts to where we can handle the first 2 acts of next available difficulty, or how is it going to work exactly? I mean, I would think that you'd have to progress through all acts before going to next difficulty, otherwise grind is going to be insane. Unless I'm missing something?

Just got an answer from Jonathan on IRC:

[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> Jonathan, are you still here?
[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> I got a quick question.
[02:30] <Jonathan___> yes
[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> hey, Chris said that we'll be able to play act 1 and 2 of four difficulties
[02:30] <bkboggy|Blender> how exactly is that going to work
[02:31] <Jonathan___> What do you mean?
[02:31] <bkboggy|Blender> since there is not 2 acts per difficulty, we would not be able to level up in the remaining acts to progress to the next difficulty
[02:31] <bkboggy|Blender> we would have to grind it out in the 2nd act to be strong enough to progress
[02:31] <Jonathan___> The game is balanced to work with only two acts while there are only two acts
[02:31] <bkboggy|Blender> ahh, so it's adjusted for the beta?
[02:31] <Jonathan___> The balance numbers are arrived at using math formulas
[02:31] <Jonathan___> rather than just being typed in
[02:32] <Jonathan___> so if we just change the levels on the areas, it just rebalances automatically
[02:32] <bkboggy|Blender> gotcha, so it splits up difficulty and progression between the number of acts

You're not supposed to be worrying about grinding and content. In a closed beta you need to monitor your character, the skills, the gameplay. Do they work? Do you notice any problems? Trying to do off the wall stuff to find glitches in terrains, etc. so these can be reported, investigated, and fixed.
Last edited by Nightreaver on Aug 3, 2011, 7:22:03 AM
With PoE you're getting privileged access to all the game content as it currently stands. That means there are plenty of bugs, missing features, missing functionality, unfinished areas, broken quests, etc that you will experience. This isn't just a server stress test. It's a true beta. Expect to be impressed but also expect to be disappointed.
Forum Sheriff
Yep that was my first thought when I saw this guy asking for the grinding thingy lol ^^

It's a real beta, it is more about debugging than playing!
Hack&Slash lover!
It will help us help them make a better game!
I love virtual brutality so save it for the Mobs...
"

You're not supposed to be worrying about grinding and content. In a closed beta you need to monitor your character, the skills, the gameplay. Do they work? Do you notice any problems? Trying to do off the wall stuff to find glitches in terrains, etc. so these can be reported, investigated, and fixed.

You think? You obviously didn't read my other posts. My concern was that we would not be able to test the other difficulties if we could not progress into them. The question has been answered by Jonathan. And you're not supposed to worry about content? Umm, you're testing everything and make sure everything works and flows. Yeah, I would worry about content. No my first beta, buddy. Hope that cleared up some misconception about my question for you two.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot." - Charlie Chaplin
Last edited by bkboggy on Aug 3, 2011, 6:09:11 PM
oh man can´t wait for this closed beta!
hope I get in!!

greetings from Argentina!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info