New To Beta First Impressions

Hi all. I'm still very new to the beta but thought I might give some first impressions of the game. Its not going to be a technical thread, more a feel thread. BTW, I am a noob, and have only owned computers for 3 years.

Not being the most experienced of gamers out there, I dont have too many other games I have played to compare this with, so i'm not going to bother. Allegory has never been of too much intrest to me, as I would rather judge something on its own merits rather than constantly look for comparisons (though I will still do so from time to time(( I am human after all))).

On initially logging into the game I was struck immediately by the character selection screen and dark atmospheric music. Each character when selected coming forward to show off his/hers animations felt like trying to pick which sweety in the shop I fancied today. It made my selection difficult. I settled on the duelist, probably because I secretly would like to be the duelist in real life (The honourasble scoudrel, who comes across as a bad boy who gets all the ladies ((I wonder where I got that fantasy from. hmm.... I think you can all guess))).

On entering the game world. Lying down in the wash on the darkly atmospheric beach, My duelist stood up clicked on the icon next to me and "Wham" i'm in combat XD. After punching my enemy to death (oh the brutality of it all, yay), I pick up the weapon next to me and then start on a ten minute rampage through the beach killing monsters and looting there corpses until I found myself face to face with the first boss. After dispatching mine enemy, I make my way into the shoreside town. The town seems to be the main hub for the game, where you can make deals with vendors and pick up any quests that may be around.

I very much like the atmosphere of this game and the ingame music is very well done. I liked that we were thrust straight into the action, as I think too many games go for epic intro's which are nice but often too long, any more than 2 mins without killing something in an action game is in my opinion too long.

The combat was familiar to other games I played many years ago (on my mums computer), and very intuitive & smooth. Beating the crap out of baddies without any skills was still satisfying, and best of all I got a choice to take one of several skills immediatley through the games clever gem system. I also found the games unique flask system to be a ray of sunshine as it means I dont have to have bags full of flasks, and if I need to recharge them, all I need to do is kick the crap of more enemies (now thats made out of win XD).

The skill tree is immense and the developers are not wrong that good planning helps a great deal to make a powerfull character. Rather than plan at the moment, i've decided to go for a certain play style and grab skills based on that. Its too much fun and i need to pwn.

Graphically I was happily surprised. Given that from what I hear the game was started with just a few private developers, its got some great graphics with very good spell effects to boot. The water effects and the undergroud lighting was especially good too.

I hope this helps anyone who's interested, and I know that other ppl have probably done this already (and better than me), but I feel being a Beta player, I need to give something back to the guys who gave me the key in faith, and not being a tech head i'm limited to how I can help, and so will try to do so on a non technical level.

Kind Regards Kallath

p.s. Trolls, feel free. I dont read troll replys anyway, and they alway reflect more on the troll than the person writing a post, however noobish it may be XD
If it can be cheesed, it will be cheesed
Last edited by kallath on Oct 6, 2011, 8:59:27 AM
Thanks for sharing your feelings.

Have fun!
Very good read, thanks for posting. Maybe you could write another one once you've come further into the game and futher up in levels.
http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/?ref=4e6dff781f6a8020692865
I thought I wouldn't be able to make it past all the words. Until I actually read it.

It was a very nice read. I like your description of the first area.

Don't worry about not being technical. Just do what you can. Any amount of help will further the game. Especially the feedback from a gamer with less experience on gaming.
Grats you lucky guy, being signed up for 2 days and getting beta XD. Glad you enjoyed your first time in the game)
I am not a female, but I really wish I was. <3
You will start having opinion on games after 12 years.3 years only means very low experience to judge if a game is superb
From The Shadows I Reign
Awesome, man. It's nice hearing your opinion on the beta. :D
I've been watching the vids, and enjoying the action and the commentary. Keep in mind that a MAJOR patch is due in about a week, and a major change will be made to the skill tree, which will, by all accounts, make it even better.

BTW, I can't help but expect to hear "...Miss Moneypenny..." every time you speak. =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
good luck
"
Its too much fun and i need to pwn.

sounds like what old time pc gamers would say back in the days...3 years only...really? ;)

Great post though!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info