1.2 Tornado not that good? Ice or split maybe?

That really depends on how much crit multiplier you have. since you're using a death's harp which has the highest crit multi mod (I think), it would really suit you to just stack crit chance instead.

Is pierce + Drillneck even worth it for TS? the initial hit already pierces, so is the additional damage from drillneck + piercing Tornado arrows worth it?
Better stay in the land of the damned, Exile. Here, even the very words are corrupted by Nightmare.
Last edited by Aggnog on Aug 25, 2014, 3:29:08 AM
"
enveratise wrote:
That really depends on how much crit multiplier you have. since you're using a death's harp which has the highest crit multi mod (I think), it would really suit you to just stack crit chance instead.

Is pierce + Drillneck even worth it for TS? the initial hit already pierces, so is the additional damage from drillneck + piercing Tornado arrows worth it?

It doesn't depend on how much crit multiplier you have if you 2 shot mobs with regular attacks... any crit will 1 shot them, so you might as well as get crit chance as high as possible. For clearing mobs fast, it's always better to have more consistent damage. Now you're right for bosses. If you're using Tornado Shot as your single target attack, then I'd use crit multi in the link instead.

I think the pierce is worth it for overall clearing speed. Not sure about drillneck though, since I don't have one, although judging by its description, it should increase damage significantly no matter what as long as you have pierce.

By the way, Anyone has a Tora's Harbinger bow?

I found this in her shop today:

I'm not sure if this is a prefix or a suffix, but if you could get this + Phys Damage% + flat phys damage + crit chance + crit multi on the bow, that would be pretty insane.

I'm following this guide: works better with tornado shot and ice shot than split arrow so far. http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/952208/page/1
Last edited by LilCroissant on Aug 25, 2014, 3:56:45 AM
I'm not sure anymore whether phys or ele would be best for tornado. GMP would lower the damagee per arrow a lot of its pure phys and herald of ice is really good for an aoe ability.
"
LilCroissant wrote:
Just started a crit phys archer today. Messed around with just about all possible 4 links with tornado shot, ice shot, and split arrow. Conclusion is that Tornado shot is the best for shotgunning. It kills single targets faster than anything else, while ice shot is the best for clearing mobs.

What I have linked now is Tornado shot + Power charge on crit + LMP + Pierce, which works for multi and single targets. I find that power charge on crit is better than increased critical damage even though tool bar DPS is lower. This is because with power charges up, you get more crit chance, so you clear white mobs faster. If you don't crit, you 2 shot whites, if you crit, you one shot them regardless of how strong your crit is. So better to have power charges up all the time for smoother play. Also, with all 3 power charges up, you get the exact same DPS as with Increase crit damage, so you don't actually lose sustained damage when fighting high HP rares or uniques.

Also, I don't think the extra projectile from Death's Harp is counted in the tool bar, but it should count when dealing actual damage shotgunning enemies, so I don't think many decimation bows can actually beat it, since real DPS would have to be multiplied by 4/3.

I traded for a GMP yesterday, and I gotta say:

GMP + LMP + TS + Pierce, combined with Death's Harp, is absolutely fucking insane.

Running Herald of Ice + Ash. It's a crazy shotgun.
Been testing extensively on my lvl 79 Ranger in Rampage. I've been trying out Ice Shot and Tornado Shot, and they each have their pros and cons, as with any skill comparison. Please note that I'm using a glass cannon crit build, including Voll's Protector, and my resists are only ~20 in Merciless. I also spec'd into Pierce for Ice Shot, then tried Nado Shot with Pierce, then Nado Shot without Pierce.

Ice Shot:
Ice Shot - LMP/GMP - Pierce - Cold Pen - ICD
Pros:
-Freezes and chills enemies to slow their advance
-Tightly packed groups can cause enemies to take damage from multiple Ice Shot secondary AOE fields - the result of this is much like CoC builds, the more enemies there are and the closer together they are, the more damage you will do.
-High base damage
-Very effective with Pierce, allowing you to keep base damage high.
-Absolutely insane room clear AOE and range (Can kill bosses off-screen) assuming there's a large pack.

Cons:
-Mediocre damage when attacking small groups, absolutely no single target potential.
-The front line of the enemy will only take damage from the initial arrow hits, which sometimes can cause you to need to attack with your single target or reposition.
-Combined with Hatred, you're going to be doing a lot of Cold damage. Your arrows themselves do 60/40 phys/cold, and the AOE is 100% phys-to-cold conversion. If you're against cold resistant enemies, you're gonna have a bad time.
-Potential toaster lag

Tornado Shot
Nado Shot - GMP - Faster Attacks - ICC - ICD
Pros:
-With Hatred & Double Herald, your physical and elemental damage will balance out against reflects/resists, making dmg effectiveness high
-Can shotgun enemies (hit 1 enemy with more than 1 arrow)
-Damage is consistent in varying situations (VS large groups, small groups, single target)
-Combined with King of the Hill makes it very safe (1 Nado Shot crit = 3 knockback procs per enemy)
-Combine Puncture and Nado Shot crit knockback on bosses for ~2 second boss kills.
-Can freeze with crit as well
-Can be targeted somewhat similarly to ROA, allowing you to skim down reflect packs without killing yourself
-Doesn't need chain, fork, pierce for effective AoE (though they do still help, especially chain)
-higher phys scaling = higher passive leech scaling

Cons:
-Unless you link an arrow modifier, AoE clear is slower than Ice Shot, and you can't 1 shot Strongbox packs or entire rooms at will.
-Requires Faster Attacks to work effectively, making mana a bit harder to sustain without leech
-No AoE chill effect like Ice Shot

I've found Tornado Shot with GMP and Faster Attacks as core to be the most effective. It allows for great medium-scale AoE clear and amazing single target damage without needing tons of gems or combos. The leech scaling makes sustaining with it easier as well, and I've never encountered a problem with enemies resisting damage like I did with Ice Shot. Overall clear speed much faster than Ice Shot. I do, however, feel that Ice Shot is much better for leveling. Personal opinion, that.
How would this look. 103pt ranger due for respec.
Next point would go to Heartseeker. Then the 2 crit/critmulti to complete the lower circle.
8% attack speed at ranger start could be after that
The 2 attack speed nodes could be used after that.

Pacific (GMT -8) Time
This should be better (you forgot the 8% IAS at Ranger start and Crit Multiplier)
I'm running Grace + Herald of Ash + Herald of Ice, 2,5k DPS with 46,5% Critchance and 390% Crit Multiplier (TS+LMP+PPAD+FA), farming Piety Merci.
1,8 APS
1,8k HP

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgIAxKL-urvj1CMFtTpCS3jdqDBxI_ZNkjB8jX3Win8rpuB_AjKU2caVBVFHyqldaJrxCImNv_rrb_I51HfXoJ9KfYd2Z6D8xVb63Q3KSncHhxOcpG-e8bODCdN-fXVeRZLzm43BM4bOIXZbr8DjS1ftgwguGY4AXhqP9tr7CRmKLYOXBpu1Iuro1sM6shkyAZsmFr9h4iaVVUsfQQMetUgGI3BSKgvz6myMYqynNJ2qbWw2PeOEwJzndCT951SMNjH6dvf_3s96r-uJ03DVqwtyw8wG3vikeMHV
Make
Spectral Throw
great again
Last edited by CommodoX on Aug 25, 2014, 9:57:22 PM
I've been using TS and the best part is it kills things that get behind you almost as much as the mobs you're facing. I also thing the arrows from the nado clip through walls. I've walked into rooms to find dead monsters I've yet to shoot a single shot at.
"
Aggnog wrote:

almost 100% identical to my current build.

hit 73 in rampage last night, and have ~4100dps with admittedly pretty bad gear apart from 5l chest.

I can only see that number continuing to go up as my gear improves and i squeeze out the last few crit nodes i'm going to get.
Last edited by matt41647 on Aug 26, 2014, 12:18:56 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info