1.2 Patch Restarts my Computer while playing

So I'm pretty sure I fixed it thanks for all your help! I feel like an idiot but I'll share my solution for anyone else.

There was just a bunch of dust collected on the screen on the bottom of my case where my PSU fans blow out. I cleaned that off and just played for an hour with no problems. I also patched to the 1.2.0b so that may have helped but I'm pretty sure it was just the dust.
I need a signature to look legit
"
Hunt8722 wrote:
So I'm pretty sure I fixed it thanks for all your help! I feel like an idiot but I'll share my solution for anyone else.

There was just a bunch of dust collected on the screen on the bottom of my case where my PSU fans blow out. I cleaned that off and just played for an hour with no problems. I also patched to the 1.2.0b so that may have helped but I'm pretty sure it was just the dust.

I ran the regular client from my steam folder which also downloaded some patch, after that I've been able to stay on without crashes, soooo I'm guessing the patch did it.

I lied today its a different issue, game is now crashing the driver every 5 minutes forcing back to the login screen.
Last edited by smiljn on Aug 24, 2014, 2:14:38 AM
So it is unfortunately not fixed....

Just had another computer restart last night after going 2-3 days running fine.

I need a signature to look legit
"
Hunt8722 wrote:
So it is unfortunately not fixed....

Just had another computer restart last night after going 2-3 days running fine.

PSU could still be bad from before when it became damaged with the dust that had collected, etc.

Unfortunately, once something like that is damaged by a problem (like overheating, dust buildup, etc), just cleaning it isn't going to magically fix it. It could still be broken from the initial time and clearing the dust just temporarily helped it not to overheat anymore or cause issues.

If you have another PSU you can attempt to swap in, it might be worth checking.. just to make sure it's not your PSU that is the problem. Sometimes, people also run dual PSUs (since the GPU requires a pretty heavy connection with the newer cards). If your GPU doesn't have its own power socket, then this won't affect you, and you'll likely just need to try a new PSU by itself.
I had (and have) same problems.
When I start POE, after like 10-30 mins the game freezes. All my temps looked fine at first. The CPU was ~55° and GPU ~65°.

But I found out that my PSU not good enough.

What helped me to solve the problem: underclock my graphics card.
I don't know why it helps, maybe graphics consume less power while underclocked.
Just try to go in like ~20MHz steps down and see if it will work for you.
"
Etlau88 wrote:
I don't know why it helps, maybe graphics consume less power while underclocked.

That is correct... things that are underclocked consume less power because they don't need as much power at lower clock speeds than at maximum (or overclocked) speeds. The power usage comes from the demand of the hardware to utilize that power. The more it is working, the more power it will consume.
sounds exactly the same as the issue im having!!!!

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1019673

i've written directly to support about the issue though with all technical logs attached. all sorts of tests performed as well.
Last edited by goat4dinner on Aug 27, 2014, 3:48:05 PM
"
Etlau88 wrote:
I had (and have) same problems.
When I start POE, after like 10-30 mins the game freezes. All my temps looked fine at first. The CPU was ~55° and GPU ~65°.

But I found out that my PSU not good enough.

your describing a different issue. your saying your game lags and possibly crashes game - while our entire pc shuts down instantly at some random point of time - no warning, no bluescreen or anything like it!
"
goat4dinner wrote:
your describing a different issue. your saying your game lags and possibly crashes game - while our entire pc shuts down instantly at some random point of time - no warning, no bluescreen or anything like it!

It's not a different issue.

The issue is that by underclocking the GPU/CPU, it's not making the PSU perform as hard, and that is causing the PSU to NOT fail (which is what was causing the restart).

When a PC suddenly restarts or shuts down on it's own, it's usually a hardware problem, and MOST of the time, it's an issue with the PSU or power to the MB. In the poster's case, the PSU was being over-drawn by the hardware and causing the reboot. Underclocking the GPU made the PSU not have to perform as hard, and was able to keep it happy (for now).
i dont see how freezing game is the same as crashing pc?!?! i literally didn't get that from his original post but hey if thats the case then that is a different story. but hey nomatter.

out of curiosity where can i throttle down my geforce gtx 770 card specifically in the control panel as you describe?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info