1.2 Patch Restarts my Computer while playing

About 6 months ago I bought a new computer I put together myself

It was playing PoE fine until 1.2 patch

Now I can not play for sometimes 5-30 minutes without it restarting my computer

i7-4770k
GeForce GTX 780

Temps are fine
Updated graphics card driver to 340.52 and that didn't help

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I love PoE but right now am unable to play.

I need a signature to look legit
Last edited by Hunt8722 on Aug 26, 2014, 2:27:42 PM
Hi Hunt8722,

Could you please let us know some more details about what's happening here?

Do you get an error message or Blue Screen of Death?

Are your hardware temperatures within normal ranges?

Is your power plan set to "High Performance", "Balanced" or something else?
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
Thank you for the quick reply

There is no error message or Blue Screen of Death the computer just restarts

Looked in event logs and nothing showed up

CPU idles at 34 and up to 63 under load

I've been using this thread http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/523051/page/8
You mention CPU temperature, but you failed to list GPU temperature.

PC Restarts like you are experiencing are hardware/driver related and not related to PoE. Path of Exile might be triggering a symptom, but the cause is something eise. Either something is overheating, failing to work properly, or is being under-volted, etc. I've seen this issue come from various things like overheating CPU/GPU, a PSU that is too weak to handle the load, a PSU that is failing, a motherboard that is failing, bad drivers for the GPU, and others.

So really you'd need to go through and figure out what it is in your case. It's not Path of Exile causing the issue however. PoE is just poking it in a way that it doesn't like and causing the restart to happen. Most commonly, a restart is due to power problems.. either with system undervolting, or an issue with the PSU itself. Some PSUs can't handle the additional strain/load that Path of Exile causes as PoE is a VERY demanding game on system resources.

Good luck.
Hey yeah sorry about leaving GPU out. It idles at 40 and during test max at 67.

During those tests my CPU did get up to 73.

I did have problems with the PSU when I first made this computer but I changed the PSU shortly after to a Corsair HX 750.

I tried some things in the other forum I listed but nothing has helped.

Also my Power Options was set to "High Performance" switched to "Balanced" and still got restart.

To be sure it's not BSoD, disable the "Automatically restart".
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621246
Hey thanks, I'm running Windows 8 but I will give it a try.

Also when I get home I will try it with the new patch who knows maybe that will help.

I read a lot of forum and reddit posts with people seeming to have the same issue and some of them were caused by PSU. Weird that it only happens with this game but seems I have a lot of things to try.
I'm having the same issue here, after playing for 5-10 mins I notice the GPU starts downclocking itself, until the game starts stuttering and basically becomes unresponsive and I notice in my task manager that Desktop Window Manager is using up about 40% of the resources, at which point all I can do is force restart the PC as the system is unresponsive. Arma 3, DayZ, D3, Tropico, none have remotely any issues such as this, I've basically tried to come back to PoE after this patch but the game is unplayable. GPU/CPU temp all normal, nothing out of the ordinary when this happens, tried setting the game to max performance including some workarounds on reddit, no help. System is an i5 3570k/16gb gskil ram/240gb ocz agility 3 ssd/gtx 780 ghz

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm using the steam client.
Last edited by smiljn on Aug 22, 2014, 10:20:36 PM
A few things you can try.

1. Uninstall the game, then re-install.

2. Change the graphic card for a spare if you have around.

If the game works after the re-install, you know then that there was an issue with the install (it's possible)

If the crash doesn't happen after you change GFX card then you know you have a problem with your current card.
"
Warmey wrote:
A few things you can try.

1. Uninstall the game, then re-install.

2. Change the graphic card for a spare if you have around.

If the game works after the re-install, you know then that there was an issue with the install (it's possible)

If the crash doesn't happen after you change GFX card then you know you have a problem with your current card.

For me it was a fresh install, re-installed last night when the issue started occuring no problems. I would think it was my card, if everything else didnt run without a single issue.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info