Glacial Hammer + the new Herald skills

This is about what i am currently using http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEBwSzBVsMXw4UEGkRDxRNF1QZ6Ro4HKcdFB8CITQigSNNKPopTzCXMjQyiTmKOlhANkGHRHJFnUbXTC1R5lH5U1JTpVPUVcZWSlfiWfNfKmBlYMRmnnRVd-WCm4LHgziD24TEi4yNgo48j0aQVZJ9lQSYb5rgm6GdgJ6hnsWfAaIApwinhKyYrKqvm7QvtPm3PriTwBrGrstD0eTeweFz5c_r7uw47MvtIO988B_x_vfX-ej60g==

I dont quite have all the skill points filled in, but its what i hope to reach.
Instead of using a 2h mace or a staff i chose to dual wield, using a high quality scepter in my main hand and 3 red socket prismatic eclipse in offhand for 75% extra damage. (this lets you get an attack speed boost from the dual wield, while still only attacking with your strong main hand weapon, because glacial hammer can only be used with mace and staff)

right now i have linked GH + multi + elemental proliferation + cold penetration + melee spalsh, and this pretty much freezes everythin on the screen quite consistently, even with bad gear. Not sure what the 6th link will be yet, but from my calculations it looks like faster attacks will help best, otherwise added cold.

There was an older duelist glacial hammer build that i got the inspiration for this from, so i took some of his ideas and made my own little build for templar off of it.

The sad part is im very new, so i have really bad gear, and while this build is working ok for me, i can't farm high end gear very well without already having high end gear... :[

does anyone have any critiques of the build i posted? or ideas for making it better?
Last edited by Fistful_Of_Bacon on Aug 25, 2014, 11:50:47 PM
"
This is about what i am currently using

Hey, i like that, finally someone's not using Resolute Technique.
What about Melee Physical Damage or Weapon Elemental Damage? While Faster Attack usually wins by dps terms, it could drain mana pool way too fast...
Last edited by Kedisi on Aug 26, 2014, 12:08:54 AM
This build is a lot of fun, have been using at (till 70 now) with substantial effectiveness.

As noted, attack speed is a boon of the build, so getting unwavering stance & resolute technique is mandatory so your attacks are reliable and you will not be stunned. (kaom's roots)

With enough +ele dmg & phys dmg, the synergy with herald of ice & hatred adds a significant amount of damage/utlity. I use coldsnap/trap/prolif as a ranged freeze, shield charge in the middle of a pack and shatter everything around. It's a lot of fun to perma freeze everything around.

glacial hammer/wed/added fire/splash/multi is enough to get by with a decent 1h mace. The freeze/cold nodes make the build a lot more viable with herald of ice. I also use dual curse with warlord's mark/frostbite.

gear isn't great, a lot to improve but for now it works for my level and low level maps.

Passive tree: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbDjwRDxRxFm8XVBhdGjgabCKBJKon7Sj6KU8yiTbpOVI6WEGHRZ1G10wtUflTUlPUVcZWSlfiWAdZ813GYGVsFnKpd-V4L3zZga-Cm4LHhxmLjI2CjjyPRpBVmuCboZ2unqGfAZ_LogCnCKeErJisqrEFtPm1BLc-uJO40Lw3wBrR5Ni92jra3eFz42rkIuoY6-7sOOzL7SDwH_H-8kX3MvfX-Ov56PxL_go=

"
Kedisi wrote:
"
This is about what i am currently using

Hey, i like that, finally someone's not using Resolute Technique.
What about Melee Physical Damage or Weapon Elemental Damage? While Faster Attack usually wins by dps terms, it could drain mana pool way too fast...

I think endgame the best thing to use would be added cold damage, i think melee physical actually does slightly more damage, but if you get a 20/20 added cold it will only do slightly less damage but give you another 10% chance to freeze enemies.

and also yes, im having a hard time maintaining mana without faster attacks, so with it would be worse, so a 20/20 cold would definitely be better.
Ok, did some early test run, mana is a huge problem: Glass.Ham.+Weap.Elem.Dmg+M.Splash eats up 21 mana, at 20sh lvl it is roughly 10% of pool. Ten strikes and OOM. Why the hell GH costs so much (9 mana) versus Molten Strike (7 mana and AoE already). I'm thinking about Bloodmagic SG, otherwise this could be a pain. And why templar's part of the skill tree is missing something to get at least mana on kill, beats me.
But smashing things with GH is a tons of fun indeed.
Last edited by Kedisi on Aug 27, 2014, 4:22:23 AM
having no mana issues here.
running herald of ice, herald of ash, hatred and using clarity with blood magic.
IGN:Berserk_Button
Also, if you're grabbing the Cold nodes at the top of the tree anyway, Eldritch Battery is only 3 points away. Just wear a decent ES piece or some hybrid AR/ES and that should help alleviate some of your mana issues. Also, you could get a -mana cost item from Elreon.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info