cold to fire in 1.2?

any screenshots or translations of the new cold to fire?

"Cold to Fire: This gem now converts 50% for cold damage to fire damage at all levels, and also adds a percentage of cold damage as fire damage, starting at 10% at level one."

Curious how the 10% scales as the gem increases.
From TW:

http://i.imgur.com/wqxzKsB.png

Seems to be 1% per level, to a total of 29% extra damage added on lvl 20.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Seems a bit low to me..?
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
Seems a bit low to me..?

it can be 29% more damage, doesnt seem that low.. compared to 0% before the buff
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
That would be okay - but I dont assume that its really calculated as 'more' damage (but a 10..29% increase of the base cold damage value)
--
"
Mr_Cee wrote:
That would be okay - but I dont assume that its really calculated as 'more' damage (but a 10..29% increase of the base cold damage value)

It'll work the same way as added fire damage unless something very strange is going on.

Effectively a more multiplier, just the more bit will be another damage type.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
The question is: whats the 'initial' cold damage the bonus is calculated on?
-is it 'only' 10+x% of the linked skills cold damage, does it include cold damage from the waepon, from other items, increased cold/elemental damage from items, or from tree's passives?
if NOT, then its NOT more damage, but a converted kind of increased: 10+x% of a base.
--
It works exactly the same as added fire, just that it doesn't use physical as base but cold.

'Added % of damage' works as somewhat in between of increases and multipliers, it essentially multiplies the base, but it stacks additively with other 'added' sources.

So, if you did 100 melee physical damage and had '30% physical added as fire' you would have 130 base damage in total which is essentially a multiplicative bonus.
However, if we had another '30% physical added as cold' from hatred aura it wouldn't act as a multiplier relative to our total base damage but only to the physical base so we would have 160 base damage.

Compared to that, a true multiplier like MPD with its '30% more physical damage', applied to the case above instead of hatred aura wold multiply all damage you did and you would have 169 base damage to apply increases to instead of 160.
So, if you got one 'added' mod it will behave as a multiplier but if you got more than one they won't be.

Which means that in the case where you use cold to fire to convert a cold spell to fire it will be a multiplier to your total damage because you got no more 'added' mods that can apply to it.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:

Which means that in the case where you use cold to fire to convert a cold spell to fire it will be a multiplier to your total damage because you got no more 'added' mods that can apply to it.

Will it double dip, i.e. will elemental nodes first work on the cold and then on the converted fire dmg?
"
biomuesli wrote:
"
raics wrote:

Will it double dip, i.e. will elemental nodes first work on the cold and then on the converted fire dmg?

Nope, no damage bonus can apply to the same chunk of damage more than once, it's a hard rule, related to the way bonuses are applied.

In this case you got an 'increased elemental damage' bonus so the game checks every damage segment when applying it with a query 'is it elemental', if yes it applies the increase. Same goes for fire and cold bonuses, a segment that is just fire or cold will be positive on either of them, but a cold to fire converted part will have 'yes' for both and both bonuses will stack like all increases do.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info