Arachnophobia / No-Spider option

Hi, the thread about aracnophobia seems to be dead so I'm creating a new one in hope that more people would see it ( original thread : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/26414/page/1 )

If they could just do a single option to replace the spiders models with any other it would be great and don't seems that difficult to do :/ . I know they propably have other things to work on but I'm so frustrated that I can't play this game ^^ . In diablo 3 at least you can avoid them without so much trouble, in poe it seems impossible, and i'm not sure if downgrading the graphics would be enough (in addition to render the game ugly ^^)

Edit : Well I've just send an email asking GGG if they could do domething about it, don't think it's going to change anything but maybe if others do the same they might consider it.

Edit 2 : Wow GGG actually responded to my email :

" Thanks for your email, and I'm sorry for the delayed response. The
developers have been made aware of your request for an arachnophobia
model switch option.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues and we'll
do our best to assist you with them.

Best regards,
Dan "

Fingers crossed ^^
Last edited by mouimoui on Aug 19, 2014, 7:48:44 AM
Last bumped on Feb 8, 2017, 4:17:18 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Good news! I'm glad they are willing to spend resources on such an important issue!

You are a lucky man you don't suffer from gelotophobia along with the arachnophobia.
You would feel much worse.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Sorry if i might sound ignorant, but is that fear of spiders so huge that you cant even play a game where spiders aren't real? Its not like touching a real spider. I am sure that there are people who are afraid of water and drowning, but i have never ever seen anyone asking to remove water from game. It seems like you are exaggerating it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Aug 19, 2014, 9:12:48 AM
hahahahaha.

Sorry about your fear of spiders man, but this is so stupid.

If you can't cope with the spiders you go play something else, you don't ask the developers to add a graphics option to their client that will benefit 1 person.....LOL
Arachnophobia affects different people differently. I have a mild case, and it did take me a little time to get used to the spiders in PoE. The ones that teleport really freaked me out, especially with the lighting, and I still occasionally get weirded out when I run into spiders unexpectedly (Invasion). The larger spiders in Skyrim, especially the ones that dropped down from the ceiling, caused me minor issues as well (if I were a melee character, I may have had a bit more of a reaction).

I know a friend that had to get assistance in WoW when he needed to deal with spiders, and he had some serious issues in raids with spiders (and would even sit out an area). There are many people that did not PvP in WoW because Hunters could have a spider for a pet.
Last edited by CycloneJack on Aug 19, 2014, 9:29:04 AM
just treat poe as a horror game when ever you see spiders, and then treat it as therapy when you kill them.

or pretend they are bears like i did in skyrim.

AS much as I feel for people with phobias (lord knows i know how it feels). GGG isnt a massive company and they are already showing signs of straining under the pressure.

this feature request just seems unreasonable at this time. hell skyrim only got away with it because that game is built for the mod community (and indeed modded skyrim is probably the most economically sound entertainment investment in wold histroy ( 10,000+ hours of content made so far)).

Tough it out or don't play , that is really the only words we can give you. Sorry. And that goes for anyone with the phobia , not just the op.

if it is REALLY bad , you can try to party with some one willing to clear out the majority of the spider nest so that you only need to be there fore the big queen spider monster thing.

I did that a bunch for noobs in the open beta.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Aug 19, 2014, 9:30:43 AM
On account of my fear of heights (and especially cliffs), I demand that the ledge tileset be removed, and be replaced with a grassy knoll for my witch to frolic in.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
"
pengant wrote:
hahahahaha.

Sorry about your fear of spiders man, but this is so stupid.

If you can't cope with the spiders you go play something else, you don't ask the developers to add a graphics option to their client that will benefit 1 person.....LOL

Well, i am sure that there is more than one person, but imagine this:

Someone who is afraid of dark would ask to make the game brightly lit;
Someone who is afraid of water would ask to remove water from game;
Someone who has claustrophobia would ask to remove walls in game.
and so on

Into what the game would turn? Honestly, its hard to believe that fear is so huge, that someone cant play a video game with fake 3D spider models. Dont be "attention whores", man up :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Aug 19, 2014, 9:31:05 AM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
or pretend they are bears like i did in skyrim.

One of the first mods in Skyrim replaced all spiders with the bear model. The animations didn't work, so the bear would just float around, but it let many people play the game.
I have a irrational fear of being sticky...
GGG should give me lvl 100 and mirror gear so I dont have to worry about spilking a soda on myself during leveling.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info