Once upon a time

"
Mephasm wrote:
"
HermitDragon wrote:
Why is "in a land far away" better than "a land you haven't been to" ?

Because "a land far, far away" instills a sense of mystery and wonder, where as "a land you haven't been to" could refer to something like Ohio, and there is nothing mysterious or wonderful about Ohio.

There is to me. I've never been there and it is far, far away from me.

...Others have covered the topic sufficiently, but basically: universal vs specific.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
HermitDragon wrote:
Why is "in a land far away" better than "a land you haven't been to" ?

OK, enough of profanities from me - here is a real, solid answer to OP's question:

Let's say that you're from Denmark. Or Ohio. Or anywhere that's, you know, a regular place - at least to you. And now, let's presume you have never been in Mongolia, on some river that doesn't even show on the map, fishing some huge fishes that are native only to Mongolia (for the sake of argument, let us presume you, dear reader, are expert angler, well traveled and versed in the art of trout-slaying).

NOW, let's presume you somehow made it all the way to Mongolian outback. Here's what it has in store for you:

It's not a tourist postcard, but then again most of the Earth is like that - plain, not much to see, nothing spectacular. So, in conclusion, you've spent God-knows how much money, traveled 10.000+ kilometers to get to the middle of Nowhere... to fish.

THAT is why "A Land Far, Far Away" sounds much better, glorified and exotic than "A Land You've Never Been To". No one wants to end up in the middle of nowhere, with their expectations landing on proverbial ass.
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gibson2.jpg

Mel Gibson is your daddy... and, you don't really want to know what he does.
The use of Once upon a time in a land far far away is an imagery enhancer. It is meant to convey the listener / reader to the possibility of something they have not experienced themselves before.

In a land far away, magic is possible. If I was to start a story "In Mongolia while on a fishing trip" it only sets the place, but there is no magic. Even if the story is all about magic, the opener is just a flat description of where you are. It could be Ohio.

But the use of a time frame, before you were born. And a place you have never been to, far far away, allows for the imagination to expand and the listener's own imagination begins to start to fill in the blanks on its own.

Just saying.
"
Avramovic wrote:
Once upon a time, in a land far, FAR away, there was a bunch of programmers who partook in national passtime: sheep fucking. Then they made an awesome, yet extremely flawed (but AWESOME) game, and hired a bunch [Removed by Support] moderate their forums as if they were from Southern United States, and not a land far, faaaaar away...

...The End. :)

I'm from the Southern United States, and I'd appreciate some clarification of what, exactly, you meant to convey by the bolded section above? ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Magic is nice

Not_a_Kiwi

Why don´t they add: In a Land out of your reach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
Avramovic wrote:
Once upon a time, in a land far, FAR away, there was a bunch of programmers who partook in national passtime: sheep fucking. Then they made an awesome, yet extremely flawed (but AWESOME) game, and hired a bunch [Removed by Support] moderate their forums as if they were from Southern United States, and not a land far, faaaaar away...

I'm from the Southern United States, and I'd appreciate some clarification of what, exactly, you meant to convey by the bolded section above? ='[.]'=

Bible Belt, people there tend to be, ehh, how do I put this in a non-bannable way?...

...ironically, some of the smartest and nicest people I've met from US are from southern part (Oklahoma, Georgia...). I guess those who aren't as nice don't get to use internet much. Go figure.
http://unrealitymag.bcmediagroup.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/gibson2.jpg

"
Avramovic wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:
"
Avramovic wrote:

Bible Belt, people there tend to be, ehh, how do I put this in a non-bannable way?...

...ironically, some of the smartest and nicest people I've met from US are from southern part (Oklahoma, Georgia...). I guess those who aren't as nice don't get to use internet much. Go figure.

So, you've been here? 'Cause that's a non-answer. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:

No... Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond have been there. I've seen them go there. As for my friends, I've met them just like I've met you fine gentlemen - over the inetntnets.

"
Avramovic wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

No... Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond have been there. I've seen them go there. As for my friends, I've met them just like I've met you fine gentlemen - over the inetntnets.

Let's pretend I'm an ignorant, Southern yahoo, and dunno who those people, who you say have been here, are. And, no, I'm not gonna look 'em up.

You still haven't answered my question: What did you mean by your comment?
"
...[M]oderate their forums as if they were from Southern United States...
='[.]'=

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info