The Michael Brown Case

Someone shot dead by cops caught robbing someone is hardly newsworthy.

I smell a smokescreen to divert our attention away from cops shooting innocent people to death.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
My take away from the situation is this:

1. The officer should have not been sitting in his car when he confronted the guys, if they truly needed to be confronted for walking in the street (pretty sketchy stop), The officer didn't stop brown for the robbery

2. The officer should not have shot (continued shooting) the guy if he was 35 feet away and unarmed and fleeing

3. Brown seemed like an asshole, but being an asshole should not have been a death sentence handed out by police, and the officer should have never allowed himself to be assaulted while still in his car. we wont know the truth of what happened before the shooting, but it sounds like the cop was trying to get brown on the ground by use of his car door and momentum and it backfired.

4. The militarized police is pretty far over the top, batons and shields and tear gas would have been just as effective, unarmed protestors standing together were able to actively prevent as much shenanigans as the full militarized police while not creating backlash of anger.

5. An ambulance should have been called after brown was injured and not left lying in the street with an officer standing over him like a trophy kill.

Hey...is this thing on?
"
LostForm wrote:
My take away from the situation is this:

1. The officer should have not been sitting in his car when he confronted the guys, if they truly needed to be confronted for walking in the street (pretty sketchy stop), The officer didn't stop brown for the robbery

The officer first talked to them from inside the vehicle but when he wanted to search them in regards to the robbery is when he stopped and tried to exit his vehicle. The cop didn't initially speak to them about the robbery but from what I have read he did eventually try to question them about the robbery after first making contact, that is when the physical altercation occured.

"

2. The officer should not have shot (continued shooting) the guy if he was 35 feet away and unarmed and fleeing

There are a few different accounts and of course I would agree with what you wrote there. The other take is that Michael assaulted the officer when the first shot when off, he then ran and then turned around and came at the officer again. Its still possible the officer only made those shots as a result of continuing to be attacked by Michael.

"
3. Brown seemed like an asshole, but being an asshole should not have been a death sentence handed out by police, and the officer should have never allowed himself to be assaulted while still in his car. we wont know the truth of what happened before the shooting, but it sounds like the cop was trying to get brown on the ground by use of his car door and momentum and it backfired.

You think the officer was really trying to hit brown with the car door? I really doubt that. I think its more likely that Brown hit the door as the officer was trying to get out. Anyway I can't imagine even a racist officer would just execute a good in the middle of the day and in the middle of the street for no reason. I think its much more likely the officer was being attacked and responded with his gun.

"
5. An ambulance should have been called after brown was injured and not left lying in the street with an officer standing over him like a trophy kill.

Could be right here. I don't really know the protocols for police officers so can't really comment much about this.
Standard Forever
I, like you, don't really put much faith in the statements made by the other guy at the scene. It honestly looked like he was reading a prepared statement in the interview I saw, though I do honestly believe he was terrified by what unfolded.

I do however believe the other eye witness accounts that Brown was standing still and had his hands up. I heard no contradicting statements to those accounts. The released report of the shooting officially says brown was shot At Least 6 times.

I can also very much believe that when the officer decided to pursue the stop of a huge guy, that he would try to get him on the ground using jack boot methods, and slamming him with a car door as the car comes to a short stop seems like an easy go to, especially after being 'disrespected' by brown ignoring his commands to get out of the street. At any rate though, the officer did not allow the necessary space to protect both him and his suspect when he escalated the situation to being an arrest.

Brown was certainly not a nice guy, he used his size to intimidate at least one person, the shop keeper, but our police must let cooler heads prevail. This was not a test of wills, the police have all of the advantages, including the ability to not over extend themselves into a dangerous position unnecessarily. No one was in immediate need of aid from that officer, he did not have to 'spring into action' and his bad decision making lead to the death of an unarmed man by the hands of the police. Purely unacceptable from a decision making standpoint. He should have never ever ever put himself into a compromised position period. No exceptions. He doesn't get to make bad decisions and shoot his way out of it, that is not police work, that is vigilantism.

vigilantism (ˌvɪdʒɪˈlænˌtɪzəm)
n
1. US the methods, conduct, attitudes, etc, associated with vigilantes, esp militancy, bigotry, or suspiciousness

I also dont believe it was racially motivated, I think the officer would have reacted similarly to anyone that he perceived to have disrespected him, escalating it to an arrest, with a tendency towards violence to control the person. It could have been any really big guy that the car door happened to bounce off of and not going down getting shot here, though perhaps the 5-6 bullets after the first could have racial bias.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Aug 18, 2014, 12:56:08 PM
"
LostForm wrote:

I do however believe the other eye witness accounts that Brown was standing still and had his hands up.

There are other accounts that he was moving forward towards the officer. I can link a youtube video if you want.

"

I can also very much believe that when the officer decided to pursue the stop of a huge guy, that he would try to get him on the ground using jack boot methods, and slamming him with a car door as the car comes to a short stop seems like an easy go to,

Sounds like something out of a movie. The officer had no prior history of complaints. I would think he would have something if he was that big of a dick. I still think its more likely that the guy who just robbed the store started the aggression.

"
including the ability to not over extend themselves into a dangerous position unnecessarily.

The officer thought he was going to question the two men about the robbery and wait for back up. He probably felt comfortable doing that.

"
He doesn't get to make bad decisions and shoot his way out of it, that is not police work, that is vigilantism.

I'm still not sure he made any legitimate bad decisions before the initial struggle. He wasn't Zimmerman taking the law into his own hands. He was a police officer.

Standard Forever
"
Väkirauta wrote:
What if the person who was shot, an Asian? Would people still be out protesting?

Probably not.
I'd be interested in seeing the youtube video.

'The officer thought he was going to question the two men about the robbery and wait for back up. He probably felt comfortable doing that.'

No, the officer was stopping them for walking in the street, from the mouth of the police chief. This stop was Not related to the robbery. His original statements, repeated many times to many questions is this stop was in no way related to the robbery.

Edit: These statements from the police chief happened during the second press announcement of the day, after he gave time for everyone to 'digest' the information from the first announcement. Meaning he had time to digest all the information himself, and Still come forward with the statement that it wasnt about the robbery.

I think if it was a white officer shooting an unarmed white man or asian man or whatever, there would be just as much noise being made, even if the reactions to the protests afterwards would probably be way different. The fact of law is that the officer's force was many orders of magnitude higher than the force he 'defended' himself against.

We see lots of police action that could have come straight out of a movie, I think that is entirely the nature of the protests.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Aug 18, 2014, 2:39:41 PM
"
Väkirauta wrote:
"
LostForm wrote:
I think that is entirely the nature of the protests.

I must disagree,

you disagree that blacks are human? He is saying that everyone should be outraged, that it was a human life being taken by the police. The fact that the sign says black life is human life only validates my point.
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Aug 18, 2014, 2:41:31 PM
"
Väkirauta wrote:

It for me disproves your point being the protests are against the usual behaviour of the police; by simply adding the word Black in there. Think it over my friend, I believe you'll understand. I don't care if the person who died was black, he indeed was a human being, but why point out the color of his skin? Isn't that a sort of racism?

If his sign said "Police kill black people only" you might have a point.
The fact that the sign is saying black people are people is not a form of racism, it is a reminder that we are in this together.
The fact is the identity of the shooter was withheld, no information was given to explain the corpse of a man shot by an unnamed police officer laying in the streets for hours covered by a sheet and a very heavy police presence. The fact that the police thought they didn't need to explain anything had to come from some sort of thought process that it wasnt worth due process.

This sign is a reminder that just because it was a black person does not automatically assign fault to the victim, even if he is an asshole. I would liken it to a sign held up during a protest of s rapist being protected by police that said women are people too.
Hey...is this thing on?

From a game called riot. Fitting for the current topic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info