Bonemist: A death poll for the 3 month hardcore league (circa v1.2)

Bonemist is now level 41 and she's reached the Climb waypoint in Cruel Difficulty. Prison and Brutus are up next.

Adventures

Spoiler
Gear was sub-par for Dominus – no maxed resists, about 11% physical damage reduction, no staunching flask -- and so it was a more dangerous fight than usual. But, having over-leveled to 39 and having crafted a +1 to minions helm for zombies, good damage carried Bonemist through the fight in one piece.

I spaced out where the adds fell to minimize the odds of having a Beyond spawn show up and in the end I was lucky enough to have them not spawn.

Beyond ...
With better damage, Beyond mobs are becoming easier to manage. They're too strong to be called speed bumps and sometimes I still need to retreat and re-summon to take them out. But, they also often fall right where they spawn.

Handling them now is mostly about making good judgments concerning when they're likely to spawn, so they don't spawn on top of Bonemist and so I keep minion health topped up, ahead of when they arrive. Also, sometimes they spawn with something else nearby that makes taking them on very risky. For example, shortly after entering Ledge on Cruel a Beyond spawn with the haste aura came out, mixed together with a searing bond melee rare. I reset that instance of the Ledge, and went through to the waypoint in the second instance.

Masters ...
I'm having the easiest time with Catarina's missions and I've got her hideout. She is at level 4 now. She'll probably be the easiest to raise to level 6 and beyond, based on the content of her missions and I may keep her hideout for a while, for that reason. Haku is in the hideout and he is currently level 3. Elrion is currently level 2. I've not yet seen Vorici. I've turned down every opportunity to do Vagan missions, which I'll continue to do for now. I've also not bothered with Tora's missions, after having done her first one.

Because daily missions are done at the Master's level, I'm slowly taking Haku's missions and trying to progress with him. Even at level 3, his crafting choices might be a big help in getting some initial “chaos inoculation” (CI) gear together. But, hopefully I'll get him to level 4 by the time I shift Bonemist to CI.

Just after leveling Haku up next time, I'll dismiss him and invite Elrion, to get his crafting bench in Bonemist's hideout and to try to get him to level 4.

Basic Stats - resists given for Cruel difficulty
Spoiler
Life = 789
Energy Shield = 398
Mana = 424
Armour = 150 (10%)
Evasion = 412 (24%)
Resists = 61/26/46/-20 fire/cold/lite/chaos

Passives …

Gear
Spoiler
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Aug 25, 2014, 3:39:32 PM
"
puviel wrote:
You are doing quite well. Guess I should have had more faith in you=)
I'm managing, mostly through patience and a willingness to retreat, re-summon, and try again when needed.

Still, Bonemist has had pretty much the worst luck I can remember for gear, out of all my recent self-found characters. If I get her successfully to the Caverns of Anger waypoint, at which point I'll pick up spell totem, then I'll put on as much IIR as I can and farm normal docks and/or Tidal Island for Masters missions and for Vaal gems.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Through patient leveling and some runs to get Vaal gems and to try to level up masters, Bonemist is now level 52 and she's reached the Crematorium waypoint in Cruel Difficulty.

She has taken the Chaos Inoculation keystone, just prior to heading into Slum Sewers to say “hi” to Spinesnap.

Adventures

Spoiler
Cruel Brutus was a dangerous fight, as expected, as Bonemist's defenses against physical damage were not at all good, at the time. She was under half hit points a few times because I'm still getting used to how to maintain the proper distance, while circling around Brutus, to avoid his cone attack.

After the touch-and-go battle with Brutus, and looking at the sad, sad state of Bonemist's gear, I decided to patiently run normal Docks and the earliest parts of A1 normal to get ahead of the leveling curse. My hope was that over-leveling the minion gems would help to compensate for whatever weaknesses with gear the RNG didn't want to fix. I was also hoping to find one or two really good Vaal gems as “panic” buttons – my two favorite choices were Vaal discipline (good for a CI character) and Vaal summon skeletons (good for a summoner using flesh offering). I haven't found either of those yet, but I've still had great luck at improving her gear.

Beyond ...
I've fought several Beyond uniques by now, and they've all been challenging battles – especially the unique with vaal detonate dead, as that skill can be deadly. I left one of the Beyond uniques alive, but no others.

I found and have been leveling up conversion trap and multiple traps, which has made handling Beyond spawns quite a bit easier.

Masters ...
I now have Elrion, Haku, and Catarina at level 4, with Tora and Vagan at level 3 and Vorici still at level 1. I've done some crafting with Haku to help with the transition to CI and those efforts went really, really well (details below).

Except for Catarina, I routinely avoid masters missions “at level”. I'm leveling them up much slower that way. On the other hand, Bonemist is still alive, which is good. :)

Basic Stats - resists given for Cruel difficulty
Spoiler
Life = 1
Energy Shield = 2675*
Mana = 768
Armour = 395 (13%)
Evasion = 491 (19%)
Resists = 58/68/70/100 fire/cold/lite/chaos

* with Discipline running, which it always is

Passives …

Gear
Spoiler

You can see that Haku's crafted additions to key pieces of gear really helped to boost her ES total.

She also has some potentially very useful gems in her stash, including the following:

Her main challenges now are maxing elemental resists, boosting physical damage resistance, finding a way to get a cast when damage taken set up going, and getting more links(!) for her key damage spells. I'm pretty sure that 3 link skills won't do so well, going into merciless, or even in late cruel.

So, there's still a lot to improve. But, gear is looking far, far better than when she first got to cruel difficulty.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Aug 29, 2014, 3:52:40 PM
whoops, please delete -- not an intentional bump, really
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Aug 29, 2014, 3:16:30 PM
Lvl 63
Merciless docks
IGN ZENETIX
Bonemist is now level 59 and she's reached Lioneyes Keep at the beginning of Act 1 in Merciless Difficulty.

Patient leveling paid off with a quick and relatively easy fight against cruel Dominus. He didn't even get his blood rain going, in his final form, before he fell over.

Adventures
Spoiler
Conversion + multiple traps usually allows Bonemist to avoid needing to retreat when handling single or multiple Beyond spawns (and strongboxes). Beyond spawns are very efficient at killing other mobs and each other, and so I usually convert at least one or two of them. When I'm being bothered by a nasty Beyond rare (ie: those archers) and Bonemist needs a little breather to recharge ES and summon more minions, conversion trap buys her the time she needs.

Also, I'll often put out a set of 3 conversion traps near Bonemist when she might be flanked by surprise, for example from a side doorway. It's very handy for flicker strike mobs and leap slam mobs, as well. I often place a set of 3 conversion traps over top of small red portals, when they're near Bonemist, to avoid having Beyond mobs spawn right on top of her.

Conversion trap slows down clear speed sometimes. But, it's a really useful skill.

Having picked up spell totem earlier, I was wondering what to do with it that might be useful, given the mix of sockets and gems Bonemist currently has. In the end, I put enfeeble on the spell totem and I typically cast an enfeeble spell totem up front, to probe for mobs. When the totem shakes, the zombies usually head in on their own and I send in some raging spirits to give their regards. But, Bonemist just acquired and started leveling up arc and it's tempting to put arc on the totem, along with either “blind” or “curse on hit” + “enfeeble”. Triggering elemental equilibrium that way might not mean too much yet, though, as I don't yet have the mana to run another aura beyond discipline plus clarity.

Masters ...
Catarina is now level 5, Elrion and Haku at level 4, and Tora, Vagan and Vorici at level 3. Haku, Catarina, and Elrion all helped Bonemist make the transition from late cruel to early merc, as the gear showed below attests. Catarina and Elrion are currently in Bonemist's hideout, for daily missions.

Except for Catarina, I'm still routinely avoiding masters missions “at level”. Judging by the content of their missions, I'm pretty sure all the masters except for Catarina want Bonemist dead ... which is pretty ironic given Catarina's focus. But, Catarina gives Bonemist the easiest missions and I'm focused on leveling up her hideout for that reason.

Basic Stats - resists given for Merciless difficulty
Spoiler
Life = 1
Energy Shield = 2979*
Mana = 786
Armour = 366 (9%)^
Evasion = 542 (16%)
Resists = 65/64/26/100 fire/cold/lite/chaos

* with Discipline running, which it always is.

^ Clearly, lightning resists need to rise. But, Bonemist's armour total is perhaps in even more need of improvement, especially with evasion also being low, and especially before taking on Merciless Brutus. I'll aim to be very proactive with the granite flask, until I build up her armour total.

If I'm lucky enough to find another granite flask, then I'll probably run two of them until Bonemist's armour total is brought up.

Passives …
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA2VsbJUuu6QLfiit4H8cti20ZLJzsimvbHNwNjWwLIvRWYxXXhq4sv8HFf8ZJsdfP-TfviJMnKlNilbJwtAyDCUZxKPpXyQ186rpqrFqRqH3T-4LHU1JFnZrg6-7E9jwtxq63PkGH-ej3wSSLPQ9fKuvkBAdMs35Z9HFDVB3ZiEID7h2-M4esqiftpys1uRFQ

I'm at a bit of a crossroads with Bonemist's passives and I'll need to make some choices soon about what to prioritize (more mana and mana regen for arctic armour, ES & armour nodes, aura support, perhaps dual totem, …).

Gear
Spoiler

Flasks are starting to improve, although I'll need more baubles to quality up her regularly used flasks.

Noteworthy gems that I'd like to find a way to incorporate into Bonemist's build include …

I'm still looking for immortal call for a CWDT set up, which I'll purchase from Haku as soon as I see it on his “for sale” screen. I have yet to find Vaal discipline and Vaal summon skeletons for Bonemist.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Sep 1, 2014, 1:30:02 AM
Bonemist turned level 63 just after defeating Merveil and she's reached the Southern Forest waypoint at the beginning of Act 2 in Merciless Difficulty.

Adventures
Spoiler

Being over-leveled paid off again with two smooth battles against Brutus and Merveil. Brutus lasted about 15-20 seconds and Merveil was a longer, but still not particularly dangerous battle. To prep for Merveil, I switched in a cold / fire res ring, letting lightning resistance drop down so I could max cold and fire resistances.

Easily the most touch-and-go battle was against a Beyond unique called “Haast, Unrelenting Frost” because Bonemist wasn't much higher level than he was and his attacks are good at piercing through minions to a summoner, while also taking out the minions. Since CI is relatively weak against chill and freeze and cold resists were a little under max, hit and run tactics were needed to bring him down.

Conversion trap keeps proving its value. It's a particularly solid skill for the Beyond league and I'd like to keep it in the build, over the longer term.

Masters are where they were when I last posted. I'm starting to do “at level” Tora missions, now that I understand them better, and they're going fine.

Spoiler
Life = 1
Energy Shield = 2906*
Mana = 855
Armour = 1506 (25%)
Evasion = 443 (12%)
Resists = 69/68/75/100 fire/cold/lite/chaos

I did some crafting with alchs, jeweler orbs, scraps, and a few fusings to boost armour and elemental resists to a (somewhat) better total.

Passives …
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA2VsbJUuu6QLfiit4H8cti20ZLJzsimvbHNwNjWwLIvRWYxXXhq4sv8HFf8ZJsdfP-TfviJMnKlNilbJwtAyDCUZxKPpXyQ186rpqrFqRqH3T-4LHU1JFnZrg6-7E9jwtxq63PkGH-ej3wSSLPQ9fKuvkBAdMs35Z9HFDVB3ZiEID7h2-M4esqiftpys1uRFQVyu9gp48fLuMdk3Y

I went with more armour / ES / resists by getting “Faith & Steel”. Next I added some more mana and mana regen, to be able to further level up clarity and arctic armour. The next step with passives will be to get the “Unnatural Calm” notable, for more ES and +1 to max lightning resists.

Gear
Spoiler

Improvements are ongoing, with flasks getting slowly better as I get more baubles and burn through more alt orbs to improve affixes.

Decoy totem is currently occupying the place meant for immortal call, once I get that gem from drops or from Haku.
lvl 69, merciless docks, some exile will wipe u out
Bonemist turned level 67 shortly before finishing up the “Fixure of Fate” mission in Act 3 of Merciless difficulty. She is still alive.

Adventures
Spoiler
Level 16 raging spirits in a 4-link (spirits – minion damage – melee splash – melee physical damage) still do reasonable damage in the latter stages of Act 3 merciless. But, it's clear that their damage could use an upgrade so that the last part of Act 3 merciless becomes easier to handle.

Since the zombies aren't very tough, with no +minion gem level helm in which to put them and no leech or regen for them, enfeeble on a spell totem and conversion trap really carry Bonemist through most of her difficult fights.

As an example, in Merciless Archives Bonemist had a challenging battle with a rare Beyond archer that had a physical damage / speed aura (and I believe a bonus to crit damage). Fortunately, though, that battle began with the rare archer spawning and fighting for Bonemist, as I had pre-cast conversion trap on the red orb from which the rare archer spawned. The archer efficiently took out other mobs while working for Bonemist and I was able to set up the situation so that Bonemist didn't get immediately pin-cushioned by the Beyond rare, after conversion trap wore off. It was still a tough fight because the archer did so much damage. But, some hit-and-run work and several re-castings of minions eventually led to winning that particular battle.

One fight I didn't attempt to finish, as when getting through to the Ebony Barracks, after dissolving the Undying Blockage, Bonemist ran across the lightning / ice arrow rogue. That was a particularly ugly fight, with the elemental weakness curse being liberally used by the exile and my minions not lasting very long or doing much damage. I exited back to the Warehouse Sewers, re-set the zone, and went through to the Ebony Barracks with ease, after that.

Spoiler
Life = 1
Energy Shield = 3403*
Mana = 943
Armour = 1506 (21%)
Evasion = 539 (12%)
Resists = 75/75/76/100 fire/cold/lite/chaos

Passives …
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA2VsbJUuu6QLfiit4H8cti20ZLJzsimvbHNwNjWwLIvRWYxXXhq4sv8HFf8ZJsdfP-TfviJMnKlNilbJwtAyDCUZxKPpXyQ186rpqrFqRqH3T-4LHU1JFnZrg6-7E9jwtxq63PkGH-ej3wSSLPQ9fKuvkBAdMs35Z9HFDVB3ZiEID7h2-M4esqiftpys1uRFQVyu9gp48fLuMdk3Yw21ca4RI99esmHRVm6E=

I'm at a crossroads again with Bonemist's passives, as I'm not certain whether to next head for the Sovereignty aura nodes, so that a purity aura can be run, or to head straight to the Body & Soul cluster, to get more ES and armour. Currently, I'm leaning toward getting Body & Soul next.

Gear
Spoiler

Jewelry has been improved so that Bonemist always has some IIR on her, while still maintaining maxed elemental resists. Still, there are plenty of compromises in her gear and a lot to improve.

Next Steps
Spoiler
I'm currently leaning toward running some level 60+ areas for a while, to further level up gems, to get another level or two for Bonemist, and to work on the “chaos” vendor recipe for full sets of rare items. As long as Bonemist survives that, then she'll have more currency and hopefully better gear, ahead of going after Merc Piety and beginning on maps.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Sep 7, 2014, 3:19:43 AM
gz for making it to act 3 merc in beyond not many of those hc is so easy guys make it this far
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Sep 7, 2014, 5:31:22 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info