Bonemist: A death poll for the 3 month hardcore league (circa v1.2)

I'll play a self-finding CI witch summoner (Bonemist) in the “Beyond” 3 month hardcore league and see how far she gets. The player who comes closest to guessing at what level she'll die, where in the game, and to what enemy will receive the 5 best orbs she finds.

I don't have much gear on standard. But, in case the winner isn't a hardcore player, I have some chaos orbs, gcps, regals, blessed orbs, and other such items on standard.

Rules for Bonemist

1. She uses only gear that she finds, crafts, or buys from in-game NPC vendors.
2. She runs solo in the hardcore 3 month league (no dual boxing, no assistance from other characters).
3. I reserve the right to "farm" specific areas for levels and gear.
4. I reserve the right to assess a situation and not fight a specific battle (or finish up a particularly nasty map, or run a particular corrupted area), if the odds of survival look bleak. Also, logging out is an option, if overwhelmed.

About rule 4, I have no logout macro, slow reflexes, and fumbly fingers, so you can weigh the worth of the option to logout for trying to keep Bonemist alive. Still, I expect running away from battles to be an infrequent occurrence, as otherwise the game wouldn't be fun to play.

How do I make a guess?

Make a post containing your guess with the following details:

1. Character level at death (level 1 to 100)
2. Difficulty level and zone in the game in which she dies (ie: Cruel docks, Level 68 map, ...)
3. Act (mini-)boss or enemy type to deliver the killing blow (ie: Merveil, rogue exile, corrupted area boss, voidbearer, ...)

I'll add each guess into the pool of guesses made (see post 2 below for that information). Everybody gets only one guess and you can't make the same guess as somebody who guessed already. I'll treat a death in a corrupted area as a death in the zone from which it was entered, for the purposes of determining in what zone the death occurred.

To help for making guesses, I'm probably about an average POE player with below average reflexes. I play solo, mostly in one kind of hardcore league or another and I mostly play self-found characters. I've not yet gone deep into merciless difficulty.

What happens after I make a guess?

I'll make posts about how the death race is going, as Bonemist makes progress. When she dies, the death race ends, I'll post about the details in this thread, and I'll contact the winner to transfer the best available orbs to the winner.

Will this be streamed? Will there be video?

My computer is too slow for streaming. I'll post a kind of running journal for Bonemist in this thread, instead of doing video.

Initial build plans for Bonemist (Witch)

Planned skills

Spoiler
LMB – walk
B – No plans yet
RMB – Desecrate
G – Vaal summon skeletons
F – Trigger skill for "curse on hit"*
D - Summon raging spirits
S - Flesh offering
A – Raise Zombies

Auras - discipline & clarity -- If I find a reduced mana gem, then I'll also run purity of elements.
Curses - enfeeble + elemental weakness, triggered by “curse on hit” on whatever skill seems best.

* Edit: I had "Fire trap" listed here, but I've learned that curse on hit doesn't work with traps. Instead, I'll use a level 1 spell gem of some kind (ie: fireball, firestorm, arc, ...) and proc "curse on hit" that way.

Planned passive tree

Spoiler
https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgMA2VsbJUuu6QLfim0Zpys1uRFQa9sfxy2L7IosnEyzXyrr5AQHNsUfAo9GpwjYJJ3EWPW3MUNjms9xTWae-tIdFAPuHb4zh6yqWfPAGn_GHNwNjWwLIvTa3aPyLKdaKyoTVmMV14auLL_Bxd6w5wudruL3AW-LesNtXGuESPnogsdqrFqRqH3T-wZJ874rePaueGlKxPjr6hj3MnKpVdZk5xcvgKR-WXgvm6FYBw18V8ko-rQMkyfquoMJRnEqU2KVsnAYanzl-JOMRiu2EMzGrrc-QYcHpQLjSbI=

Some choices for passives may change, depending on what we all learn about changes to the game yet to be announced, and also on what gems and gear Bonemist acquires. For example, if the right gems come together, then I'll probably pick up elemental equilibrium at some point, for a damage boost.

Planning for items
Spoiler
The heaviest emphasis for gearing will (obviously) be on energy shield and resistances. As a tertiary priority, I'll boost armor when I can. I'll aim to get zombies into the head slot, for possible bonuses to minion gems; that may or may not work out.

Unless Bonemist is lucky enough to find a great shield, a lot of emphasis for crafting will be placed on the shield, as with the passives planned a high ES shield would make a noticeable difference in her survivability.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Aug 20, 2014, 12:54:00 AM
The pool of guesses about how this death poll will end is in this post.

How to make a guess ...

Spoiler
Please remember that everybody gets only one guess and nobody can make the same guess as somebody else who guessed already.

Make a post containing your guess with the following details:

1. Character level at death (level 1 to 100)
2. Difficulty level and zone in the game in which she dies (ie: Cruel docks, Level 68 map, ...)
3. Act (mini-)boss or enemy type to deliver the killing blow (ie: Merveil, rogue exile, corrupted area boss, voidbearer, ...)

I'll treat a death in a corrupted area as a death in the zone from which it was entered, for the purposes of determining in what zone the death occurred.

Guesses to date ...

Normal Difficulty
Broxxxigar - lvl 1, Twilight Strand, Hillock
Eternal_Dreamer - lvl 15, Upper Prison, Brutus
puviel - lvl 16, Merveil's Chambers, Merveil
Voisar - lvl 19, Weaver's Chamber, Weaver
Riggadaddy - lvl 32, Upper Sceptre of God, Dominus

Cruel Difficulty
irukandji - lvl 38, Merveil's Chambers, Merveil
WhisperByte - lvl 44, Weaver's Chambers, Leaping Spider
chimpanzee - lvl 44, Weaver's Chambers, "Beyond" Demon Boss
shrode - lvl 49, Warehouse Sewers, Undying Grappler
rockzilla89 - vl 50, Docks, Rare Beyond Mob
Anseth - lvl 51, Lunaris, Tentacle Miscreation
esely -- lvl 53, Upper Scepter of God, Undying Evangelist
Shotgun_Surgeon - lvl 55, Upper Sceptre of God, Dominus

Merciless Difficulty
Chundadragon - lvl 50, Ship Graveyard Cave, Rogue Exile
JoshTheCat - lvl 61, Merveil's Chambers, Merveil
Brolf - lvl 60, Fellshrine, Bone Rhoa
Auxion - lvl 56, Weavers Chamber, Weaver
maffa50 - lvl 62, Ancient Pyramid, Puncture Snake
mucker - lvl 63, Slum Sewers, Spinesnap
Icelane - lvl 63, Docks, ???
nyypi - lvl 69, Docks, Rogue Exile
RediusMaximus - lvl 52, Ebony Barracks, ???
ninedeadeyes - lvl 75, Upper Sceptre of God, Dominus

Maps

lukeiy - lvl 75, 66 Dungeon map, Penitentiary Incarcerator

--> Bonemist died at lvl 78 in the level 66 Tropical Island map at the hands of Ash Lessard, after stepping in one of his bear traps. lukeiy is the winner of the death poll. *

* Merc Dominus not done, all other leveling up missions completed.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Oct 1, 2014, 10:47:26 PM
lvl 1, act 1 normal, hillock (or sand spiters)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg
Level 63
Merciless Slum Sewers (I think that is where I saw him on a Taiwanese stream)
Spinesnap
When I kill a man he stays dead.
Act 2 Cruel, The Weaver's Chambers
lvl 44 char killed by Leaping Spider
My (somewhat empty for now) Rampage shop thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1014634
Take a look :)
Act 2 Merciless, Fellshrine
Killed at lv 60 by charging bone rhoas.
Last edited by Brolf on Aug 16, 2014, 4:52:26 PM
"
Broxxxigar wrote:
lvl 1, act 1 normal, hillock (or sand spiters)

Thank you for your vote of confidence! :)
Level 52 - merciless: First entry into Ebony barracks....cause, you KNOW you're going to find a goofy yellow zap mage surrounded by blue shield charge-y dudes.

Seriously, GOOD LUCK!

(1.2)Puncture/Ice Shot duelist - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1078942
(2.0)The Party Crasher - Hardcore viable Ice Crash Duelist - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1335704
Last edited by RediusMaximus on Aug 17, 2014, 12:57:02 AM
I'm going to go with Cruel Dominus at level 55, since that seems to be the big killer in all those infographics that GGG releases.
Act 1 Upper Prison Normal, the new and improved Brutus, Lord Incarcerator.
Character level 15

Edit: Forgot to put a character level.
Last edited by Eternal_Dreamer on Aug 17, 2014, 2:54:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info