An elegant redesign of Shock Nova

It's pretty simple and fits with GGG's recent skill designs. There would still be a ring and still be a deadzone. However, instead of the ring's diameter and thickness always being the same according to area of effect radius scaling, give it an auto-target mechanic and have area of effect radius scale the range of diameter and the thickness of the ring.

Here's an image so I can better explain what I mean:

The black dot is your character, the red dot is an enemy, the blue ring is the Shock Nova.

The dotted ring is the the outer range of the skill. That means it is the largest diameter your Shock Nova can have. When an enemy is within the dotted ring and you use the skill, the Shock Nova will scale to a certain diameter to hit the enemy. So in the picture, the enemy is within the bounds of the dotted ring so the Shock Nova scaled to a size that hits it.

Area of effect radius scaling affects both the range of the skill and the thickness of the ring. So with a high amount of increased area of effect, the Shock Nova will have a great range and a thick ring (huehuehue). With say Concentrated Effect and no area of effect increases the range will be small and the ring thin (HUEHUEHUEHUE).

The thickness of the ring isn't dependent on the diameter of the ring, so if you have a lot of area of effect increases but the targeting scales the ring's diameter down, its thickness will be the same.

Like Arc, the automatic targeting will choose a random enemy within the range of the skill. However, if you directly target an enemy it will scale the ring's diameter to hit it specifically.

In my opinion this is the best way to retain the core design of the skill (I am a fan of the deadzone) but make it much more usable. Let me know what you think people!
same name in-game
Last edited by iao on Oct 21, 2014, 3:10:36 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I like the idea; a little alternative take, though:

Instead of targeting a random enemy, the nova expands outward from your character until it hits an enemy - at which point it zaps out along the ring around that radius (with ring thickness as you mentioned).

For either method, though, the graphic I'd like to see would include the nova expanding outwards from your character before the damage triggers, and then the electricity traveling out around the circle from the targeted enemy to meet at the opposite side.
Sort of how lightning works in real life, actually.
I have wandered through insanity;
I have walked the spiral out.
Heard its twisted dreamed inanity
In a whisper, in a shout.
In the babbling cacophony
The refrains are all the same:
"[permutations of humanity]
are unworthy of the name!"
Nice, I'd definitely be fine with that version too as long as the nova expansion animation is quick enough. I only say that because one of the core aspects of the skill is its instant damage when cast. Other than that, the graphic you describe sounds really cool and would definitely fit in the game well. I'm all for it.
same name in-game
Best solution: Deadzone is always the same, radius of AoE and increases, everything between start of deadzone and outer radius gets hit.

Problems with the skill are solved.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Aug 16, 2014, 3:43:15 PM
"
Skivverus wrote:
I like the idea; a little alternative take, though:

Instead of targeting a random enemy, the nova expands outward from your character until it hits an enemy - at which point it zaps out along the ring around that radius (with ring thickness as you mentioned).

For either method, though, the graphic I'd like to see would include the nova expanding outwards from your character before the damage triggers, and then the electricity traveling out around the circle from the targeted enemy to meet at the opposite side.
Sort of how lightning works in real life, actually.

An alternative to that:

Shock Nova is generating a field of electricity, and that should be random. Look at the other spells:

Spark sends out three projectiles that move about randomly.

Arc targets the closest target to your pointer and then jumps to the next closest target each time.

So Shock Nova would be best in sending out Arcs to multiple enemies around you and then arcing from them. This way the AOE of Shock Nova is random and won't necessarily go in all directions. It may just end up going south of your character and not hit the enemies north of you.
"
iao wrote:
It's pretty simple and fits with GGG's recent skill designs. There would still be a ring and still be a deadzone. However, instead of the ring's diameter and thickness always being the same according to area of effect radius scaling, give it an auto-target mechanic and have area of effect radius scale the range of diameter and the thickness of the ring.

Here's an image so I can better explain what I mean:

The black dot is your character, the red dot is an enemy, the blue ring is the Shock Nova.

The dotted ring is the the outer range of the skill. That means it is the largest diameter your Shock Nova can have. When an enemy is within the dotted ring and you use the skill, the Shock Nova will scale to a certain diameter to hit the enemy. So in the picture, the enemy is within the bounds of the dotted ring so the Shock Nova scaled to a size that hits it.

Area of effect radius scaling affects both the range of the skill and the thickness of the ring. So with a high amount of increased area of effect, the Shock Nova will have a great range and a thick ring (huehuehue). With say Concentrated Effect and no area of effect increases the range will be small and the ring thin (HUEHUEHUEHUE).

The thickness of the ring isn't dependent on the diameter of the ring, so if you have a lot of area of effect increases but the targeting scales the ring's diameter down, its thickness will be the same.

Like Arc, the automatic targeting will choose a random enemy within the range of the skill. However, if you directly target an enemy it will scale the ring's diameter to hit it specifically.

In my opinion this is the best way to retain the core design of the skill (I am a fan of the deadzone) but make it much more usable. Let me know what you think people!

I like your idea the most.
One of my favourite builds in D2 was the lightning nova sorc with Infinity sythe and i was turned off with the shock nova here ;P it would at least be nice if it could do shocked ground like the shrine. Otherwise its just a pretty stupid skill.
I dont think this would work with desync
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Amiag wrote:
I dont think this would work with desync

Ball Lightning, Arc and Lightning Arrow use targeting mechanics like this already.
Lightning also tends to travel from something to something else rather than just into the air, so autoaim mechanics on lightning skills make a lot of sense.
Last edited by Xendran on Aug 18, 2014, 9:06:04 PM
bump qmud
pnwb dwnq
same name in-game
Another way this could work is if you keep the radius the same, but have small bolts shoot out from the edges and automatically hit nearby enemies. Like how Ball Lightning works, but centered around the player. This would also allow the skill to scale with increased AOE.
and in that moment, i swear we were desync
Last edited by SkyPiglet on Oct 21, 2014, 2:54:05 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info