Patch 1.2 Blood Magic Dual Flame Totem Magic Find Scion

"
tehnix wrote:
Hey,

checked your build and I'm not sure if entering the duelist area is such a good idea.

I'm also planning on playing a flame totem char as the first char in the new HC league, but I found marauder to be a better choice. The build I'm planning to use is here.

Compared to your final build, my build got less raw stats, 25% more life, 6.2% less regen, a little bit more resists and 83% more (fire) damage.

Since the mana cost of flame totem level 1 are dropping from 32 to 27 I'm not really sure if 12.5% HP regen is really neccessary, the 6.3% I took in my tree seem to be enough for now, especially as HP flasks also got buffed alot and will regen alot more now.

Regarging totem nodes vs pure fire nodes:

Totem nodes also increase the added damage from the added chaos damage gem, while pure fire nodes don't. I didnt play a flame totem char before yet so I'm not really sure which proportion of the damage is done by the chaos gem and which is pure fire, but on my build I'm able to replace the fire nodes at arsonist (bottom near BM) with 4 of the 8% totem damage nodes easily.

I'm also planning to play with a friend who is going for a flame-sentinel summoner. He will use double curse to curse flammability and ele weakness and also use elemental equilibrium. Given this debuffs, will a fire penetration gem in a 5link still be worth it? If not, added chaos damage for a 5link might be better, and then I would replace some of the fire damage nodes with the pure totem damage nodes.

Hello and thanks for the response! You could be correct on entering the duelist area being a bad idea because my main reason for going in there was for the life regen (same thing with the arsonist node, I thought why not get fire damage and regen together). I put in the "Why Blood Magic" spoiler about the mana cost reduction for the skills and that the build might change once I saw how much lower it was. If it is as cheap as you say then I would definitely change going to the duelist area in favor of more damage. I would give the same answer for why I chose scion over marauder. My original build for this was marauder but I ducked into the scion start anyway for life regen and because of that it made scion a couple points more efficient. However if that regen is found to not be necessary the marauder would probably win out. I could definitely pick up more life and damage if I get away from those regen nodes. To answer your final question yes I still think fire penetration is worth it. With how penetration works in the game it is just too good not to have on any elemental skill.

Thanks for your response and I will definitely look more into dropping some of the life regen. :)
"
slom wrote:
"
yariosho wrote:

The life regen is there for sustaining life through casting flame totem with how expensive it is once linked. Your templar version has basically no life regen and your scion has less than half what mine has. The armor is not that big of a deal but the dex is something to worry about. You need at least 109 to run max level gems and using a gear spot for dex is a lot more niche than getting it from the tree. If you have the piece that has it then great, use those points elsewhere but until then you need it. Resistances aren't terribly hard to get on gear and damage is just something I had to lose out on to get these other things.

Thanks for taking the time to review it and give your opinion. :)

109 Dex from tree is not needed :)

10.1% life regen 173%life and 12% cast speed and fire damage

9.1% life regen 148%life and 30% cast speed 148 and even more fire/spell damage

"
tehnix wrote:

I'm also planning on playing a flame totem char as the first char in the new HC league, but I found marauder to be a better choice. The build I'm planning to use is here.

The only thing I dont like is the diamant skin exit (ever since the nerf) but I guess it might be needed to be ele weakness proof (witch was nerfed?).

You are very correct about not needing as much dex because of Perandus, I can't believe I overlooked that. So yes I could definitely save about 3 points for that so thanks! As for the other builds you posted I will be looking into making it more damage oriented and dropping some of the life regen due to how much cheaper it will be once linked because of the mana cost reduction being applied to all skills in 1.2

Thanks for taking the time to ask questions and post info! :)
Last edited by yariosho on Aug 17, 2014, 11:50:57 AM
I wonder why no one mentioned witch already,since she has a good connection to crit notes. It takes a long time to take BM (~50), but that is not a big deal if I level with SB. They reduce the mana costs from 66 to 51 & gmp to 150%, so a lvl 20 6l totem will cost around 150 mana & 300 for both(yaaayy)-> I dont think much life reg is needed,just use flasks and its done. Another good thing is: since the new tree provides so much more crit chance, u dont have to worry about crit on gear &you can easily put your MF gear on. I dont See a reason to start as a marauder anyway without +max res.
With my tree i get 150k shotgun DPS on paper (without curse,power charges and shock from three dragon mask). Well for me .. Im gonna turn out this damn auto correction :{
Last edited by Nemzirot22 on Aug 17, 2014, 9:05:07 PM

cool build
Last edited by cityofsarn on Aug 18, 2014, 2:27:25 PM
"
slom wrote:

This is the build I'm going for in the new league. It feels like a good balance between life and DPS.

BTW, there's two life nodes to the left of Warrior's Blood that are slightly better than the ones in the Scion wheel.
Last edited by Vinter144 on Aug 19, 2014, 7:50:13 AM
I've changed up your build a tiny bit. At templar start there was a 5% life node, I've swapped that out with a 5% life, 6% armour node at marauder start.

Other than that your shit is really solid, dude. You say that Wheel of the Stormsail Rotted Round Shield can be on your secondary weapon slot. Do you mean to say that the IIR still takes effect then?

Also what kind of gear are you using? Wand and spirit shield?? Prioritise spell damage?
Can this build be used for dom solo farming? Or is it better to party up with DPS dealers and be the culler?
Hey,I wonder how you level this build. I mean with which skill. You don't get Searing Bond as a Scion if they don't change it and you can't really level with flameblast while being a BM character. And is there no way to get the "Heart of Flame" and "Breath of Flames" node at the top? Or aren't they not needed for that? Would like to get an answer before the patch comes out and especially on the leveling part. Other than that the Build is really solid. Great work.
Last edited by Enlok on Aug 19, 2014, 4:07:38 PM
"
DrSatan01 wrote:
I've changed up your build a tiny bit. At templar start there was a 5% life node, I've swapped that out with a 5% life, 6% armour node at marauder start.

Other than that your shit is really solid, dude. You say that Wheel of the Stormsail Rotted Round Shield can be on your secondary weapon slot. Do you mean to say that the IIR still takes effect then?

Also what kind of gear are you using? Wand and spirit shield?? Prioritise spell damage?

Hey man thanks for the response. The increased item rarity does not work in your offhand. I have 2 flame totem links because one is for damage and the other is for culling. When you get ready to use the culling flame totem swap over to the weapon set with the shield for the extra rarity. Also yes I will be prioritizing spell damage so using wand and spirit shield.

Thanks for the response and I appreciate the feedback. :)
"
Can this build be used for dom solo farming? Or is it better to party up with DPS dealers and be the culler?

I am feeling very confident that once I get good enough gear from farming piety and get a good amount of damage nodes I will be able to solo dominus.

Thanks for the question. :)
Last edited by yariosho on Aug 19, 2014, 4:25:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info