Patch 1.2 Blood Magic Dual Flame Totem Magic Find Scion

This is the build I am planning on doing for my first character in patch 1.2 to get some currency by farming with good magic find.

FAQ

Why Blood Magic?
Spoiler
I am currently planning on doing Blood Magic because of how expensive flame totem is once you link it. Also with the amount of life and life regen I get it will basically be free. There just isn't enough mana scaling in the area of the tree we go through to make it worth using mana. I will consider not using Blood Magic once the patch comes out because of the reduction in skill mana costs.

Why Flame Totem?
Spoiler
I am using flame totem firstly because I like how it looks and feels. Secondly as a dual totem build you do not have to worry about reflect. Thirdly dual totems is a generally safe way to go because of enemies being distracted by totems when you place them ahead of you. We will need this extra bit of survivability because of gearing choices.

Why So Many Dex and Int Nodes?
Spoiler
We have to pick up these Dexterity and Intelligence nodes in order to run our support gems and also to get gear such as spell damage wands. If you have the extra stats on your gear you can respec out of it to get more life from the Scion Wheel or more elemental damage in the Templar area

The Actual Build

Passive Skill Tree
Spoiler
Level 24 - We rush Blood Magic and Resolute Techniques (Will respec out of Resolute later but need it for leveling)
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLc-QYc1kti9_grBBHloC2F4DalutfLfvxRxpzCezVW1fNlyqfcy6hj46w==
Level 38 (For Dominus Fight)
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLc-QYc1kti9_grBBHloC2F4DalutfLfvxRxpzCezVW1-Os62Hy7JIs9D8T2PC3Gruw4GjinhJBV9zLqGHzZcqlQUC7_og9fP0rIbqocpw==
Early Cruel (Respec out of Resolute Techniques and Rush Ancestral Bond)
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLc-QYc1kti9_grBBHloC2F4DalutfLfvxRxpzCezVW1-Os62Hy7JIs9D8T2PC3Gruw4GjinhJBVUFAu_6IPXz9KyG6qHKfAGlnzKhNaKyyno_I=
Level 56 (For Cruel Dominus)
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E356Gh02mKUoLc-QYc1kti9_grBBHloC2F4DalutfLfvxRxpzCezVW1-Os62Hy7JIs9D8T2PC3Gruw4GjinhJBVUFAu_6IPXz9KyG6qHKfAGlnzKhNaKyyno_IWb-NqNukkqvaueGlKxPiTjEYrthDM-b0GoGSEPydTpQxfogDwH8WKZp760g==
Final Passive Tree
Spoiler
https://poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgAA2E2UoNpiaHT56EGHtz7-Csau2L0cpxDMNZIMXyu2tfJTpYxGbqqpbviTSsh4DT8nC2FkhHlo7DgGoMEEGjgEs6IA-b1VtV8_p4QCcZ7Nog-QVacwLv8Wb8AaFHEUIFBQJKpZ8_jr378DxlBHNukqE0rEBg4YkeNqWit4aWP9LKf2rgn2o_IUTexVKo1JGzbY8WysmPfXm6GPRh0U-tIulJeFNPchsIPbVcY6WGaeh2WvtzI0HwIEByycEFjwHzwtxPbEFT0PffUki3y7OtjFilhj458nLw==

Bandits
Spoiler
Normal - Oak
Cruel - Passive
Merciless - Passive

Gems
Spoiler
Links
Spoiler
3 Links
Spoiler
(GBB) Trap - Quality Shock Nova - Elemental Proliferation

Spoiler
(BBR) Lightning Warp - Faster Casting - Reduced Duration
4 Links
Spoiler
(RGGB) Flame Totem - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Culling Strike - Item Rarity

Spoiler
(RRRB) Cast When Damage Taken (Level 4) - Enduring Cry (Level 7) - Molten Shell (Level 9) - Enfeeble (Level 7)

Spoiler
(BBBR) Flammability - Faster Casting - Increased Area of Effect - Increased Duration
6 Link
Spoiler
(In order of Importance) (RGRBGB) Flame Totem - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Fire Penetration - Faster Casting - Faster Projectiles - Added Chaos Damage
Quest Rewards
Spoiler
Leveling
Spoiler
Level with Spectral Throw until you get Flame Totem
Normal
Spoiler
Fidelitas - Flammability
Crematorium - Enfeeble
Gravicius - Fire Penetration
Cruel
Spoiler
Hillock - Flame Totem
Hailrake - Item Rarity
Brutus - Lightning Warp
Merveil - Trap
Weaver - Faster Casting
Gravicius - Culling Strike
Library - Elemental Proliferation
Merciless
Spoiler
Hailrake - Faster Casting
Brutus - Molten Shell
Merveil - Increased Area of Effect
Library - Cast When Damage Taken
Buy List
Spoiler
Faster Projectiles
Added Chaos Damage
Increased Duration
Enduring Cry
Reduced Duration
Flame Totem
Faster Casting
Shock Nova
2 Greater Multiple Projectiles

Unique List
Spoiler
Wheel of the Stormsail Rotted Round Shield (Can be on Weapon Swap)
2 Andvarius Gold Ring
Perandus Blazon Cloth Belt
Divination Distillate Large Hybrid Flask
Last edited by yariosho on Aug 19, 2014, 5:57:57 PM
Nice clear & concise guide - looks interesting :)
ign: Kza_Taza
Any particular reason for Scion over Marauder? I feel Marauder has an easier start, gets to RT/BM quicker and gets BM & reduced mana gems in merciless, which are always needed or can be sold. Relevant for the 3months only...
was wondering... why don't you take "+8% increased totem damage" node ?
"
Robstar wrote:
Any particular reason for Scion over Marauder? I feel Marauder has an easier start, gets to RT/BM quicker and gets BM & reduced mana gems in merciless, which are always needed or can be sold. Relevant for the 3months only...

My original build for this was with the Marauder instead of the Scion but I switched it over to the Scion because the final build was smoother. I agree with you that leveling would be smoother as the Marauder but when you get to the endgame the Scion has about a 2 point advantage over the Marauder and 2 points on the tree can make a big difference. Also this build is going to be a magic find farming build so the few chaos you get from selling those gems isn't really necessary with the currency you will be getting from the magic finding.

Thanks for taking the time to review it and ask questions. :)
Last edited by yariosho on Aug 16, 2014, 2:06:27 PM
"
Siegfried76 wrote:
was wondering... why don't you take "+8% increased totem damage" node ?

To put it simply I only had enough points in the build to get either the totem damage nodes or the totem survivability nodes and with my experience using totems they need every bit of survivability they can get. When you get to farming docks or even just strong rares/magic packs the totems will go down extremely quickly without them. If you feel comfortable with your life pool or if you think the totems will survive (which with quality on them they might be able to) you could definitely switch to the damage nodes with just a couple respec points.

Thanks for taking the time to review it and ask questions. :)
Last edited by slom on Aug 17, 2014, 1:10:29 AM
"
slom wrote:

Hey I've done a couple different versions of this build myself (including a Witch CI Damage Variant) but for the first build of the league I feel mine will be more reliable. Here are some things I would think about with your versions. The life regen is there for sustaining life through casting flame totem with how expensive it is once linked. Your templar version has basically no life regen and your scion has less than half what mine has. The armor is not that big of a deal but the dex is something to worry about. You need at least 109 to run max level gems and using a gear spot for dex is a lot more niche than getting it from the tree. If you have the piece that has it then great, use those points elsewhere but until then you need it. Resistances aren't terribly hard to get on gear and damage is just something I had to lose out on to get these other things.

Thanks for taking the time to review it and give your opinion. :)
Last edited by yariosho on Aug 17, 2014, 5:29:24 AM
Hey,

checked your build and I'm not sure if entering the duelist area is such a good idea.

I'm also planning on playing a flame totem char as the first char in the new HC league, but I found marauder to be a better choice. The build I'm planning to use is here.

Compared to your final build, my build got less raw stats, 25% more life, 6.2% less regen, a little bit more resists and 83% more (fire) damage.

Since the mana cost of flame totem level 1 are dropping from 32 to 27 I'm not really sure if 12.5% HP regen is really neccessary, the 6.3% I took in my tree seem to be enough for now, especially as HP flasks also got buffed alot and will regen alot more now.

Regarging totem nodes vs pure fire nodes:

Totem nodes also increase the added damage from the added chaos damage gem, while pure fire nodes don't. I didnt play a flame totem char before yet so I'm not really sure which proportion of the damage is done by the chaos gem and which is pure fire, but on my build I'm able to replace the fire nodes at arsonist (bottom near BM) with 4 of the 8% totem damage nodes easily.

I'm also planning to play with a friend who is going for a flame-sentinel summoner. He will use double curse to curse flammability and ele weakness and also use elemental equilibrium. Given this debuffs, will a fire penetration gem in a 5link still be worth it? If not, added chaos damage for a 5link might be better, and then I would replace some of the fire damage nodes with the pure totem damage nodes.
"
yariosho wrote:

The life regen is there for sustaining life through casting flame totem with how expensive it is once linked. Your templar version has basically no life regen and your scion has less than half what mine has. The armor is not that big of a deal but the dex is something to worry about. You need at least 109 to run max level gems and using a gear spot for dex is a lot more niche than getting it from the tree. If you have the piece that has it then great, use those points elsewhere but until then you need it. Resistances aren't terribly hard to get on gear and damage is just something I had to lose out on to get these other things.

Thanks for taking the time to review it and give your opinion. :)

109 Dex from tree is not needed :)

10.1% life regen 173%life and 12% cast speed and fire damage

9.1% life regen 148%life and 30% cast speed 148 and even more fire/spell damage

"
tehnix wrote:

I'm also planning on playing a flame totem char as the first char in the new HC league, but I found marauder to be a better choice. The build I'm planning to use is here.

The only thing I dont like is the diamant skin exit (ever since the nerf) but I guess it might be needed to be ele weakness proof (witch was nerfed?).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info