Learn html 4 or 5 first?

Hi,

I don't have any experience with all the "web related" coding languages.

I want to change that. Nothing professional, just advanced basics and then see what comes next. I understood that the best place to begin is html.

I have some options to learn: A friend of mine gave me many books on html4. Lynda.com, which I have full access to, teaches html5, codeacademy.com some kind of combination.

Should I begin with html4 and then go to 5? or is it better to go directly to html5?

thx
Last bumped on Sep 6, 2015, 10:33:41 AM
Dunno, maybe try to learn about both?
How much did it change? If five offers a few new features, but remains basically the same, go with 4.

If it is a major overhaul, go with 5.

And let us know. I need to learn myself.
"
Moonyu wrote:
How much did it change? If five offers a few new features, but remains basically the same, go with 4.

I don't know myself. If you google differences between 4 and 5, you'll find some super profis saying that there are major differences (omitting some features, easier interaction with css, php), while other say you can live with them easily.

Since I have know idea what these features are, nor I know css, php, etc, I'm trying to ask normal users about it
"
MadMuerto wrote:
"
Moonyu wrote:

I don't know myself. If you google differences between 4 and 5, you'll find some super profis saying that there are major differences (omitting some features, easier interaction with css, php), while other say you can live with them easily.

Since I have know idea what these features are, nor I know css, php, etc, I'm trying to ask normal users about it

Gotta ask someone who knows this stuff, its not like people who know nothing about this can give you any advise on this.
If the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics turns out to be correct, you can do both.

http://cheapuniverses.com/universesplitter/

Spoiler
Of course, it would have to actually be correct and you'd only have awareness of one of the outcomes but if you really can't decide it's still better to pick one and go with it rather than none of them because you can't make up your mind. This is just a funnier way to flip a coin.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
"

Gotta ask someone who knows this stuff, its not like people who know nothing about this can give you any advise on this.

I believe that a gamer forum is a good place to find few people, who have have at least the basic knowledge to answer coding questions. After all, I don't have an extremely sophisticated coding issue.
Last edited by MadMuerto on Aug 13, 2014, 1:38:09 PM
Always learn the most up-to-date features that you can. w3schools is a good place to start, and their HTML tutorials are split pretty well: HTML 5 adds a few features and deprecates a few features, but most of the HTML 5-compliant code you write will be HTML 4 (or 3, etc.).

DO: Learn the new HTML 5 features before considering yourself "done"
DON'T: Ever use any of the deprecated HTML 4 features

DO: Familiarize yourself with the difference between XHTML and HTML
DON'T: Write non-XHTML code after that

DO: Learn basic CSS to go along with your HTML
DON'T: Forget to use lovely tools like http://validator.w3.org/ to help you clean up your coding style
"Nothing happened." - CharanJaydemyr, TheWretch

Sayya's Item Filter (updated for Ritual!) - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1260712
Thx SayyadinaAtreides (nice name btw). That is exactly what I was looking for.

Last question:
Which html editor/tool/program program should I use at the beginning:

- A text editor (for example Bluefish http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html)
- Go directly to wyswyg program (as I said, I could have Dreamweaver CS6 if I want)
- Or begin with the editor to "see" the coding and then go to wyswyg?

Thx
I took a class and dropped it out of sheer boredom, however CSS is far more important to learn first unless you are heavily invested in web design in witch a class in flash, adobe and Java goes a long way. Html you can learn on your own or take a class online.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Aug 13, 2014, 4:02:56 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info