Explain to me how you would build a wand marauder.

I looked into this build as well and made some notes
here's what i wrote down based on that botw video:

====wand marauder
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecFLRQgFm8aVR8CKPoyfjbFNug6UjrhP3NBh0ZpSOdN41BHUFBUSVXGVw1YY1ivW_RfP2BLYSFko2e9ah5uqnTtdhF253gNeM56uHrvfq-Cx4TvhymI8YzPj0aVIJuhns2mV6cIpzCoGKlurFmuk7XyuJO53cbYz2XQ0NIh0xvZYdrd2wLfv-dS6-7ub-8O8i_2SP6P

raise zombie+minion life+?
conversion trap
frenzy+greater multiple projectiles+life gain on hit
power siphon+weapon elemental damage+faster attacks+added fire damage
enduring cry
projectile weakness

wrath+grace+anger

wand (increased physical damage)
shield

boots
40% armor
74 max life
222 life regen
13% fire resistance
15% ims

360 reserved life
3390/3750 life
360 shield
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3UjxkuPC3Grrc-erhs9q6TbqoyfrXyqW54DVivNug6Ut-_uJOnCI9G0NDYJDbF2wLTG3jOP3NM_69sxYrwH6IABLMCcTKJd-VX4uw4KU-C5JARc-H3iF-qiq_yL8T2J-2Cm-QitQRdxkbX7SDhc4uMz2VVxgx9EH_Gnqyqcql82UZphyna3Rpsna4=

This is my planned wand build. Focusing more on element dmg. Not sure how i will play it power siphon+ frenzy or elemental hit+ frenzy thats why condult isnt taken. I consider dual wield wands with much element dmg but not sure if its worth it.

So what do you think about this build?
Last edited by BananaJenkins on Feb 4, 2013, 1:45:51 PM
My first OB character was an attempt at a wand marauder. Got him to level 40 but then put him on the shelf (for now).

Some thoughts:

1. You will level up as melee for the first 35-40 levels (unless you have really good twink gear saved for this character)

2. You really need a good wand, ideally with lots of elemental damage on it. Extra physical damage is a nice bonus but from what I read from Kripp's templar it isn't a necessity.

3. You will need Power Siphon and Lesser Multiple Projectile. I wasn't able to get LMP as a drop, so consider leveling up a shadow or ranger as they get the LMP gem as a reward option in Act 2.

4. There's a tradeoff with Blood Magic - you only have to worry about life as a resource but you're limited to the few auras that reserve a set amount of mana (you won't be able to use those that reserve a percentage).

This build and Kripp's are similar and both look fun. I look forward to leveling and trying these two but the biggest thing is that both builds are very very gear dependent. If you don't have a good wand and decent jewelry with +elemental damage mods on them, it's going to be rough going switching from your melee leveling to wanding.
I think the thing that worries me most is getting all the gems I need. It seems silly that I have to take another class halfway through the game to get a gem for my main. I have no issues with using melee for 40 lvls as Melee is 1-2 shotting everything for me at lvl 25.

Thanks Zasso for putting the video into text, I will be bookmarking this thread as a reference for when I get higher.

On a side note, what is the general opinion on using raise zombie + keystone? I understand you want them to die for the dmg but would it even be worth it? The video itself does use it but this was months ago with a different build of the game. Kripps build doesnt include it iirc. Thanks again all.
So I am currently lvling my ranger to get the LMP gem. Is there a helpful gem that would require me to lvl my Witch as well?
"
ixireaperixi wrote:
I think the thing that worries me most is getting all the gems I need. It seems silly that I have to take another class halfway through the game to get a gem for my main.

Why dont you buy them instead of leveling another class? All the gems are sold in trade chat and they do cost like an alch orb per gem. You can better spend the time leveling/farming with your main then with another class.
"
BananaJenkins wrote:
"
ixireaperixi wrote:
I think the thing that worries me most is getting all the gems I need. It seems silly that I have to take another class halfway through the game to get a gem for my main.

Why dont you buy them instead of leveling another class? All the gems are sold in trade chat and they do cost like an alch orb per gem. You can better spend the time leveling/farming with your main then with another class.

Yea I suppose I could do that. I'm just a newb and do not understand a good deal for trading gems. I am using the orb conversion chart, but it doesnt help when you add gems into it.
"
ixireaperixi wrote:
"
BananaJenkins wrote:
"
ixireaperixi wrote:

Yea I suppose I could do that. I'm just a newb and do not understand a good deal for trading gems. I am using the orb conversion chart, but it doesnt help when you add gems into it.

This might help. --link removed--
Im not really sure if rates are exactly like this but around that.
Or just look every now and then in the trade chat and u will see how much what is worth.
Last edited by ionface on May 23, 2013, 3:54:24 AM
Reread what I wrote. Said I am using the orb conversion chart but it doesnt help when you want to trade gems/gear and dont know the value. I.e Yesterday I traded a exalted orb for a power siphon gem. I know I probably got ripped off but basic supply and demand says I want it, and I dont really care about the exalted orb so I did it.
Last edited by ixireaperixi on Feb 5, 2013, 7:53:37 PM
I'm pretty new to all of this but here's my attempt at planning and building a wand marauder, largely inspired by Generic_Bad_Guy's post:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL6gYah7ZYVcN0iGezXbnpzAB5zbohyk6Ut-_WK9GaXgNqW5N46xZ_o-18m6qMn6uk6ZXOuGI8Xq4QYeCx5UgKrpb9Cj66-64k6cI2t2PRtDQm6Fnve5veM4_c52uGmzkIilPgpvsOIV9V-J35TKJDH0Qf8ae

I liked his build in particular because of the lack of RT, which seems to defeat the purpose of using a wand. Leveling without it was painless; I just wore whatever acc. stuff I found that didn't suck and spammed leap slam. I was able to start wanding by level 36 at which time I turned on Blood Magic and put on all the ele dmg gear I'd managed to hoard. I'm barely into the build; just leveling through the 40s so I know my observations are only worth so much. Still, I find my accuracy to be adequate and with LMP and Fork on PS mopping up packs is a breeze. Frenzy with damage supports handles single targets. Being able to spam eternally with blood magic is awesome, and the survivability that comes with using a ranged weapon AND a tower shield feels like cheating. Giving everyone in your party 3 of each charge ain't bad either.

As for my planned build, I thought going all those points away from anything relevant to wands was a little much, even for delicious life regen, so no Golem's Blood. As a cheap substitute I took some extra HP in the middle. By doing that, I figured I could make my way a bit deeper into the Templar tree and pick up a ton of juicy elemental damage and another power charge. Any points beyond the planned build I guess would go to life and maybe an extra endurance charge. I left in a few stat nodes I took that can easily be respecced as gear allows. I'd definitely like to hear any opinions as to whether the extra power charge and catalyze are worth the points to get there, or any other critiques.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info