Explain to me how you would build a wand marauder.

I have a general idea of the skill tree, so I am fine with that, but as for the gear, I am a bit confused. For wands I need high int to wield them? How would I get that? What stats should I look for on the wand considering most are based around spell dmg/elemental dmg?

Any direction would be helpful here, thanks in advance.
Bumping - Ideally I am looking to make a build something like what was featured in Build of the Week 8. I am using Kripps templar wand build as a sort of guide, but still getting Blood magic. I still feel like I am just winging it.
false thrad sry
Last edited by Aussetziger on Feb 4, 2013, 12:06:53 AM
So, playing ST class, going for INT weapon. Seems like fun.

If you haven't picked up enough in your skill tree (as you said you already had your idea of that) then you're going to have to look for +int items to meet those requirements, you can get it on most items, most easily from rings and necklaces though.

Good luck with your build though, should try a dual wielding sword witch after if you want a real challenge.

A bit like this.
"
A bit like this.

I referenced this video in my 2nd post. I am aware of it. The video doesnt go into a good explanation of stat priority, gem choices(outside of 3 or 4) gear choices, and only gives a brief(but workable) view of the passive tree.

Kripps templar guide is helping a little, but if any successful want marauders would detail what they did it would be great.
Does wand marauder means character that uses wands to make attacks (power siphon, elemental hit, etc), or just spell marauder (ice spear, freezing pulse, etc.)?
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
IGN: NinjaArabStrategist
"
Does wand marauder means character that uses wands to make attacks (power siphon, elemental hit, etc), or just spell marauder (ice spear, freezing pulse, etc.)?

He probably wants to use wands and iron grip.
I am a wand Marauder myself. I would love to help you out with everything I have learned - and yes, information was hard to come by.

My build as of now:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecFLRQgGlUo-iq6Mn426DpSQYdGaU3jUEdQUFRJVw1YY1ivW_RfP2BLYSFko2oebqp07XbneA16uHrvgseE74cpjM-VIJ7NpzCoGKlurFmuk7Xyud3G2NIh2WHfv-dS6-7vDvIv9kj-jw==

My planned build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecFLRQgGlUo-jJ-Nug6UkGHRmlN41BHUFBUSVcNWGNYr1v0Xz9gS2EhZKNqHm6qdO1253gNerh674LHhO-HKYzPlSCezacwqBipbqxZrpO18rndxtjSIdlh37_nUuvu7w7yL_ZI_o-4k6cI2t2PRtDQz2VVxhZvplc64Yjxm6Fnve5veM4_cwx9EH_Gng==

THE BAD NEWS:
Spoiler
Don't expect to use a wand anytime soon. I didn't get to start using wands until I hit int nodes near the Conduit keystone. That's a friggin long ways into the tree. I could put on two int rings and an int necklace and still not be able to use wands, not counting the fact that doing so would probably kill me. So if you want to use wands you won't be until around level 40 and if that bugs you you may want to make a wand Templar instead.

I'm still unsure about support gem choice. You'll have to get lucky to get a greater multiple projectiles or chain, since count them out for Marauder quest rewards. You also have things like faster projectiles or weapon elemental damage. I'm also having trouble finding gear to fit all the sockets that would beef up the wand (like life leech + added fire damage + multiple projectiles + frenzy).

THE GOOD NEWS:
Spoiler
Its worth it. I went through 40 levels of using nothing but Heavy Strike + Cleave becoming rather bored until I could finally use a wand. Once I did I joined a party and had a blast. Its awesome, tanky, and great fun in a party (parties are a must for this I am thinking). Blood Magic lets you cast Power Siphon and Frenzy and other skills essentially for free. Auras don't put a dent in the health pool (I don't use percentage auras).

You have try very hard to die. 40 levels of HS + Cleave was pretty darn boring but I couldn't complain considering I could just stop, open my inv/passive tree, and mess around while mobs wailed on me without doing any damage.

You are a pick-up-group hero. You keep full stacks of all charges up, keep multiple auras up, and you share them all with the party. I also use rejuvenation totem, and its role in a party is obvious.

HOW I LEVELED
Spoiler
I grabbed a big mace and Heavy Strike + Sweep'ed things until early Act 2. Its faceroll easy, and throwing on a coral amulet with all the early health passives means I can't remember ever using a health flask outside of boss fights. Mana is irritating but flasks keep it going easily enough. After that I threw on a sword n board and cleaved + Heavy Strike's everything to death since I was tired of missing with a slow weapon. I imagine you could just continue on with a 2-hander and use things like Leap to at least make leveling more lively. I would do that in retrospect. Maybe even veer off in the tree for it and just respec. I grabbed all the gear I could with +life and life regen. I kept the wand gems I planned to use always equipped so I could level them. Frenzy is great as melee just as much as it is ranged.

I did not take Blood Magic until I had both life regen keystones (2nd is near the bottom of tree).

HOW I AM CURRENTLY PLAYING
Spoiler
I use Frenzy, Power Siphon w/lesser multiple proj, Enduring Cry, Rejuvenation Totem, Anger, Wrath, Projectile Weakness curse. I would ideally like to use Frenzy with LMP or GMP + Added Fire dmg, Life leech, and faster projectiles since I have all those but don't have the sockets. I would save Power Siphon as a nuke but keep stacks up as needed, maybe socket it with weapon elemental damage. I really am not a pro at this.

I would be using Grace if I had the dexterity for it. Won't until that +30 node near the witch area.

I party up and spam skills with infinite resources, really. Spam projectile weakness on everything (more damage obviously but you also wont miss), use enduring cry if you want to beef everyone up, drop a rejuv totem here and there, etc. Its very easy, I just need the right supports to do more damage now.

I am thinking that once I can link +fire damage and +elemental weapon damage to siphon, it would do considerably more damage. The passive keystone I took to improve fire damage currently only applies to Anger, and I would like it to apply to those supports. I would imagine a wand with +fire dmg would be helpful as well.

Of course with all this said I still have no real idea what I am doing. I would love advice just as much as the OP.

Last edited by Generic_Bad_Guy on Feb 4, 2013, 3:03:36 AM
Thanks very much, Generic_Bad_Guy. Your post at least gave me a direction(and some hope lol) Its good to know I have been doing the same things as you. Currently level 20 and using 2h mace for sweep and heavy strike.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info