Grim Dawn is actually better than PoE

That's all I wanted to know. If it was confirmed or not that there would be end game content when it's finished.
Censored.
"
FierceAgent wrote:
Any "loot based" game (even Borderlands franchise) that doesn't have a secured economy is not acceptable in my book. I would check them out, but no time dedication because what's the point of spending hundreds of hours to find an item when everyone else is carrying it through a hack? No thanks. Loot based games have their entire replay value dependent on "finding loot", so it's very contradictory to the concept to allow hacks.

At the very least, they should allow both an offline only and online only versions. I like my competitive games and I'm sure many others do, so the ARPG devs need to appeal to both players (especially online players because this is PC gaming after all).

Now with that said, I did check out Grim Dawn recently and it's a wonderful game. It has everything going for it, except for what I mentioned above and that's what makes it upsetting. They could have easily taken the same approach as PoE, online F2P model with a fair cash shop and they could have made millions by now. But nooope, I guess some devs have all the brains for developing, but not for business tactics.

It's a huge waste of potential and for that reason, even a game like Scrublo 3 is better. PoE will remain the undisputed king of course.

Grim Dawn is mainly a singleplayer offline game. By your logic every singleplayer RPG is not worth playing because you can easily cheat. And as P. said, you can also cheat in PoE (and pretty much every online game) so there's no point in hating GD because of this :)
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
FierceAgent wrote:
Any "loot based" game (even Borderlands franchise) that doesn't have a secured economy is not acceptable in my book. I would check them out, but no time dedication because what's the point of spending hundreds of hours to find an item when everyone else is carrying it through a hack? No thanks. Loot based games have their entire replay value dependent on "finding loot", so it's very contradictory to the concept to allow hacks.

At the very least, they should allow both an offline only and online only versions. I like my competitive games and I'm sure many others do, so the ARPG devs need to appeal to both players (especially online players because this is PC gaming after all).

Now with that said, I did check out Grim Dawn recently and it's a wonderful game. It has everything going for it, except for what I mentioned above and that's what makes it upsetting. They could have easily taken the same approach as PoE, online F2P model with a fair cash shop and they could have made millions by now. But nooope, I guess some devs have all the brains for developing, but not for business tactics.

It's a huge waste of potential and for that reason, even a game like Scrublo 3 is better. PoE will remain the undisputed king of course.

Actually a lot of people like Grim Dawn BECAUSE it has no "secured" (duping/botting/rmt sure lol) economy or always online closed servers.

Just because people can cheat or mod/hack stuff doesn't mean you have to. If you have no self restraint then sure that may be an issue - otherwise the game isn't meant to be a competitive economy based game.

Sure being like Diablo 2 with both open/closed servers would be nice but the developers don't have the funding for servers and probably didn't make the game with that in mind in the first place (Titan Quest also didn't have closed servers).

The business model for the game is also fine imo as the base game costs $25 with optional higher game packages for those who want to contribute more to the game. F2P I actually dislike because in most cases there is some sort of restriction and the cost of some items are stupidly high. PoE you are restricted with Character Slots and Inventory Space - GD you have unlimited. I find an upfront price like GD to be a more honest business strategy as opposed to F2P games or those silly AAA games that have day one DLC.

Failablo 3 or Sheablo 3 is far worse a game then GD. End game is super limited due to design choices, itemization is terrible, no point in creating more then 6 characters, dialogue is stupid most of the time and Blizzard is terrible with communicating with the community to the point that they just don't seem to care about the game itself.

edit: Plus Modding is extremely useful as shown in games like Diablo 2, Torchlight 2, and Titan Quest when it comes to the amount of mods created by players. That in itself is even more end game.
Last edited by DeMasked on Mar 16, 2015, 7:24:38 PM
"
Just because people can cheat or mod/hack stuff doesn't mean you have to. If you have no self restraint then sure that may be an issue - otherwise the game isn't meant to be a competitive economy based game.

Carefull with this one, here.
You´re preaching to the gratification kids that sell items instant for 1chaos and expect items to be buyable from a website instant for a chaos once someone else came up with a idea how to use those items.
When the whole genre is build upon the idea that you won´t get em instant.
Legal cheats (like trading) are legal :(

+also like their aproach on Devotion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Last edited by Lachdanan on Mar 17, 2015, 3:55:49 AM
I like Grim Dawn, one of its main selling points for me is the internet is not required to actually play, which is something you might need from time to time if you live in Australia.

Because of this, I feel that its on a different path to PoE, I wouldnt compare them on many levels.

I havent played too much, but I have tried out 4 different characters and my initial experience with each has been COMPLETELY different (in terms of difficulty and levelling speed).

To me, this either means their skills need finetuning or they need to find a better way to compare different skills with one another (so players can make better choices), since at this stage I have no idea really what will end up being even remotely good until I try it.
So, how is this thread more Off Topic than that D3 vs POE thread that still is in GD?
"
Metronomy wrote:
To me, this either means their skills need finetuning or they need to find a better way to compare different skills with one another (so players can make better choices), since at this stage I have no idea really what will end up being even remotely good until I try it.

Definitely not all of the skills are equal in terms of clear speed and smooth progression. There could be some balancing, they always work on it.

The good news is, if you know the game and what you are doing, you'll never hit a wall. May face difficulties, but never a wall. Won't reach a certain point, at which you will realize build isn't working and time's wasted. All skills and class combinations are viable.

In GD build progression comes out mostly by items and itemization is damn good in this game.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
Lachdanan wrote:

Legal cheats

u bloody wot m9
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Love both games. Poe is my number1, but Grim Dawn is really fun to play between the leagues
Marauder A.K.A. Chick magnet
Grim Dawn is definitely a good game, but I wouldn't say it's better than Path of Exile. I feel like both games are unique enough to not be directly compared. Grim Dawn is simply a different game that has some new things to offer.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info