Drop rate problem (of the good stuff)

"
Dahita wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
So how does GGG determine what each individual wants in drops? You might want boots with life on them but somebody else would prefer movement speed. Or you might want fire resist and the other guy might want cold resists. There is no way to satisfy the "we want better drops" when everybody has a different opinion on what they think is good. Currently you need a couple resists and life on most things. Well, this crafting will let you spend a couple currency orbs to put the mod you think is missing on the items. Sounds like a pretty good way to satisfy everybody. Except, it didn't drop that way, you had to make it that way. Is that really so horrible?

And how does finding stuff you can customize to your liking not reduce the reliance on trading? Right now if some boots with 2 resists and life drop but have no movement speed on them, they suck and if you want ones just like them with the ms, you have to trade for them. With the crafters you can put the movement speed on them and you got what you wanted without trading for it.

Yes there is. You just raise the rate of higher drop a tiny little bit. That is IT. no one ever said you want better drops adapted to you or anything like this. Just when you're playing 4 hours straight with your friends and there is not ONE good item dropped the whole time, it's depressing.

Now nobody said crafting won't be good. Crafting will be good imo. It's just not what we're talking about here.
But that brings me back to my question of "what is considered good?" Would you be happy with a drop that had 3 45% resist mods and Energy Shield if you are playing a life build? What about 3 45% resists and 88 Life when you are playing a Chaos Innoculation build? My point is that "good" is subjective, so how does GGG give you the "good" drops you want as opposed to what somebody else would say is "good"? With crafting, no matter what your build is, both those items would be "good" since a life build could add life to the one that has ES and a CI build could add ES to the one that has life.

I get what miljan is saying though. I agree that there shouldn't be nearly as many low tier rolls on high item level stuff as we see.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
mark1030 wrote:
"
Dahita wrote:
"
mark1030 wrote:
So how does GGG determine what each individual wants in drops? You might want boots with life on them but somebody else would prefer movement speed. Or you might want fire resist and the other guy might want cold resists. There is no way to satisfy the "we want better drops" when everybody has a different opinion on what they think is good. Currently you need a couple resists and life on most things. Well, this crafting will let you spend a couple currency orbs to put the mod you think is missing on the items. Sounds like a pretty good way to satisfy everybody. Except, it didn't drop that way, you had to make it that way. Is that really so horrible?

And how does finding stuff you can customize to your liking not reduce the reliance on trading? Right now if some boots with 2 resists and life drop but have no movement speed on them, they suck and if you want ones just like them with the ms, you have to trade for them. With the crafters you can put the movement speed on them and you got what you wanted without trading for it.

Yes there is. You just raise the rate of higher drop a tiny little bit. That is IT. no one ever said you want better drops adapted to you or anything like this. Just when you're playing 4 hours straight with your friends and there is not ONE good item dropped the whole time, it's depressing.

Now nobody said crafting won't be good. Crafting will be good imo. It's just not what we're talking about here.
But that brings me back to my question of "what is considered good?" Would you be happy with a drop that had 3 45% resist mods and Energy Shield if you are playing a life build? What about 3 45% resists and 88 Life when you are playing a Chaos Innoculation build? My point is that "good" is subjective, so how does GGG give you the "good" drops you want as opposed to what somebody else would say is "good"? With crafting, no matter what your build is, both those items would be "good" since a life build could add life to the one that has ES and a CI build could add ES to the one that has life.

I get what miljan is saying though. I agree that there shouldn't be nearly as many low tier rolls on high item level stuff as we see.

I answered this already. instead of a level 20 pair of whool shoes, what about a piece of gear that actually fits a lvl 70 character?? of any kind? or maybe 2? in 4 hours of playing, that wouldn't be too much would it? Especially when we're 3 playing all together?

Whether it's what I was looking for or not is irrelevant because I can then trade it or use it on another character (actually I love the incentive it creates when you get a good item for a build you don't have yet) and there's a good chance that between 3 or 4 players and all their characters, one will find it suitable.

It just feels good to have found something of value that reflects the level you're playing at and it creates an incentive to keep playing to find more items and eventually one that would fit you.

I really don't get what is so hard to understand here.
Last edited by Dahita on Aug 7, 2014, 8:06:45 PM
The % of drops that fall below some unknown level, meaning the low lvl crap, is VERY VERY small compared to the amount of items that drop in the mid-high tier at lvl appropriate content. It's probably akin to a bell curve, but possibly steeper
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
The % of drops that fall below some unknown level, meaning the low lvl crap, is VERY VERY small compared to the amount of items that drop in the mid-high tier at lvl appropriate content. It's probably akin to a bell curve, but possibly steeper

I would like to know your sources because all the legendaries that I have (and it's not even one page of my stash) are low level crap. I have only dropped ONE good item ever for the ENTIRE time I played this game (it was an amazing 2 handed hammer). My brother reached level 80 (thx to the hammer I found), played a lot more than me, and actually quit the game because of what I have been talking about the entire post.

So no, by facts what you say is not reflecting our experience on this game.
Uniques don't follow the same rolling path as rares. They're a different conversation entirely.

Or were you specifically talking about Uniques in this thread.

Edit: considering your highest is 68, I'm not surprised you haven't found anything amazing. You haven't played that much in any high lvl areas that would justify you finding any amazing items.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Aug 7, 2014, 9:31:28 PM
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
Uniques don't follow the same rolling path as rares. They're a different conversation entirely.

Or were you specifically talking about Uniques in this thread.

Edit: considering your highest is 68, I'm not surprised you haven't found anything amazing. You haven't played that much in any high lvl areas that would justify you finding any amazing items.

I had better characters before these (lvl 73 I bieleve), but it's beyond the point anyway.

But hey, thanks a lot, I hadn't realised the fact that I couldn't find the best item of the game at lvl 68... Once again, you are one of these guys who don't understand there is a middle between a shitty item and an "amazing" item.

Have I ever said "I want to find amazing items"? I said it would be cool to find something close to your level from time to time. You're lvl 68 = you find some legendary weapons or gears matching your level from time to time. Your level is irrelevant in this topic.

Now there is a very good reason why I'm only lvl 68. It's because I got bored, like all of my friends. You keep playing to find nothing of interest but low tradable crap. It then becomes a trade game.

You could ALSO find stuff you can actually wear you know!

Last edited by Dahita on Aug 7, 2014, 10:13:27 PM
Is it just me or does Dahita not play the game.

There are no legendaries in PoE, there are in D3, but none in PoE.

I get the feeling he is playing the wrong game, and thinks he is playing D3, so I will chalk down all his arguments being wrong to this and not the fact he doesn't understand anything that has been explained to him.

I'm level 68, I find "amazing items" all the time, maybe you are just not actually understanding the value of the items you find and assessing them wrong?
"
Dahita wrote:
"
Startkabels wrote:
Lol, neither raising the drop rate of "high drops a tiny little bit" nor raising the mod levels on high level items wouldn't change anything for you.

lol Thx Hitler for determining what we would enjoy for us, so kind

Startkabels doesn't even play characters into end game, he just race so he doesn't realize how much of a pain in the ass it is to continuously progress in items once you reach maps. You will hit a wall at some point, and if you don't trade, it's hard to get past that wall.

"
Real_Wolf wrote:
Is it just me or does Dahita not play the game.

There are no legendaries in PoE, there are in D3, but none in PoE.

I get the feeling he is playing the wrong game, and thinks he is playing D3, so I will chalk down all his arguments being wrong to this and not the fact he doesn't understand anything that has been explained to him.

I'm level 68, I find "amazing items" all the time, maybe you are just not actually understanding the value of the items you find and assessing them wrong?

I have a feeling that you're straight trolling like normal.

There's nothing 'amazing' about the items you're finding. Everyone knows what to look for on rares for certain builds, you just look for certain mods/rolls and if you get them, good item. If it's some trash modifier like light radius, shit item.
Last edited by allbusiness on Aug 7, 2014, 10:54:54 PM
I love light radius, makes some things way nicer. I'm happy when I get it on some of my items.

The items I define as "Amazing" are ones that are an upgrade for one of my characters, like finding a 5l that I can alch+chaos into something good, or getting a nice spelldmg wand, or some good ms+health boots.

If you don't define amazing the same way, maybe its you who has the problem? If you expect to get paid $10,000/hour for working at McD is it McD's problem that you overestimated what you would get for your time?
"
Real_Wolf wrote:
I love light radius, makes some things way nicer. I'm happy when I get it on some of my items.

The items I define as "Amazing" are ones that are an upgrade for one of my characters, like finding a 5l that I can alch+chaos into something good, or getting a nice spelldmg wand, or some good ms+health boots.

If you don't define amazing the same way, maybe its you who has the problem? If you expect to get paid $10,000/hour for working at McD is it McD's problem that you overestimated what you would get for your time?

I expect fair rewards for the amount of time that I've spent in the game just like every other ARPG has managed to do (outside of Vanilla D3 which was atrocious in its drops as well). PoE is probably the only ARPG that has massively failed in this regard, and if it wasn't for the fact that PoE didn't have some redeeming qualities, I would have stopped playing a long ass time ago.

You'd bitch if McDonald's was only paying you 5 cents an hour when you deserve more for busting your ass off. So please stop with the strawman analogies, it only makes you look like a giant arrogant prick.

I can't believe you're actually defending Light Radius. If Light Radius was a legit good item modifier like in Diablo 1 (as in you reduced your light radius on purpose so that monsters couldn't see you), then sure. I could understand that. But defending Light Radius as a modifier is just fucking hilarious.
Last edited by allbusiness on Aug 7, 2014, 11:19:28 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info