New to Marauder: Tiny bit of Advice needed, thanks

Hi there, I don't want to read too many "build"-threads because I don't want to cookie-cut, this is more of a question on skills from a guy new to Marauder. Thanks in advance for your time.

I'm looking for a more "traditional" melee build because I think that'd be fun. I don't want to go ground-slam or any quasi-melee quasi-ranged. In Closed I tried two-handed hammers and sweep, and that was ok, even though I wasn't very good at it. In Open I want to try something different. But what is going to be my AoE if I don't take 2-handed and hence Sweep as my main skill? Is Cleave and Leap Slap viable as sole AoE?

Basically, I wonder: If I do not go 2-handed axes, but rather go 1-handed axes and shield, is Cleave and Leap Slam enough? And is 2-handed axes enough survivability?

I ask because I will have to choose soon. I've spent 15 points on life, and now I have to choose 1-hand or 2-handed. Sweep is just so nice, but wondering if I can do it with just cleave.

Also, wonder if I need to invest in Dex to be able to hit anything, or if it is simply easiest to take Resolute.

Thank you.
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
Does anyone use one-handed axes, and is it then Cleave and Leap Slam? Anyone?
Underrated stats: Basic human decency, small quantum of respect, microportion of compassion
I'm quite new in the game, so don't take me from an expert, but definitely get Resolute Technique.
I wasn't going to at first; but then I realized how few Crit Chance/Damage nodes we got on our side of the tree; so went for it and never regretted the 100% Hit Chance. Remember to ignore the Accuracy when picking skill points; since they are completely wasted; and don't get fooled by something like +4% Damage and +12% Accuracy with Axes nodes or the like, since they become really bad when the Accuracy is no longer needed.

And I think you can do fine with just Cleave (even if I do prefer Sweep myself) if you support it enough. Its "problem" is that its frontal instead of AoE, but its also cheaper in mana cost and the only skill (afaik) along with Dual Strike that uses both weapons on the attacks.
Last edited by Kaemonarch on Feb 4, 2013, 1:34:20 AM
I would suggest Leap Slam over Sweep/Cleave for surviality purposes. Keep in mind, that Leap Slam's dps does not depend on attack speed of the weapon, so you can use slowest evach (increased attack speed influeces tho)

And I will suggest going with 2h weapons for higher damage, and concenrate on survivality on passive skill tree (shitload of life)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
IGN: NinjaArabStrategist
I wasn't going to take Leap Slam with my marauder build, but I'm pleased that I did now that I have it.

I'm going 2H mace, so I have sweep rather than cleave. I use that a lot but Leap Slam has helped me in two ways. The first is the obvious assist when jumping towards a group of mobs... but I have on a couple of occasions (particularly in some boss fights) used it to help me get out of trouble (leaping out of a group of mobs).

I'm currently struggling to see what to do next with my marauder. I have about 6 passive points to use but I'm just not sure which direction to go after resolute technique.
I´m currently lvl 48 and for survivability purposes I use sweep linked with life leech and life on hit gem + resolute technique passive + high life per second rate helps me survive pretty much everything. I have mapped leap slam on my middle button as a last resort, when I need to escape. Maybe this is more HC setup, but works fine for me. I dont almost never die. But it is all about preferences. I love skill mechanics of this game, it is like upgraded diablo 2 - love this game.
I just don't like the way I have to choose 1hand or 2, axe mace or sword already; not sure the greater damage of 2x justifies the lack of block and extra armour - the only thing appealing about 2hand I see is the ability to use Sweep, which seems simply incomparably better than any other related skill. Sigh
Best bet is to get all of your defense skills from the passive tree, and just use a decent damage 2Hand maul for the damage - also add a few mace passives to improve dps.

Using a maul lets you use the skills sweep and ground slam that are both good for AOE damage. An axe won't let you use ground slam which is lame. I just use 2Handed maul and havn't regretted it. Just gotta find a better maul now - Check out Mouze post or NinjaArab's about his Marauder - very good descriptive builds, they've helped me out alot anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info