Getting abysmal FPS only sometimes.

Hey guys.

I'm have an issue where sometimes when I load up the game and log in I'm getting terrible fps like around 8 to 9. Other times the game runs flawlessly all settings max x16AA 140fps locked.
I have tried rebooting pc, changing from windowed full screen to full screen ect but nothing work. I am using wireless internet.

My specs are

Windows 8.1
Installed new catalyst drivers and have had poe running perfect since then until now (ver 14.4)
i5 4590 3.3ghz
r9 280x
8gb ram
256GB SSD

Cheers for any help I get.
Last edited by mark408 on Aug 4, 2014, 5:58:29 PM
If it works fine sometimes but not other times, then there is something specific to your PC causing the issue.

Could be background programs running... could be your GPU or CPU are overheating.

It could be a lot of things.. but since it is isolated to your PC and not consistent, you'll have to do some troubleshooting on your own to attempt to narrow down the problem.

Check what I suggested and see what you can find.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't think it would be an overheating issue as it is in the middle of winter here and my pc is powerful enough to run PoE with ease, its probably the equivalent to a brisk walk. It runs badly sometimes even after I have just turned the PC on. Also tried low graphics which should factor out the heat issue. I will check what temperatures it is running at. It seems to be around 8am-9.30am so maybe Its cities network being overloaded with how many people are using the internet I don't know. How closely is internet performance and fps linked in PoE?
checked the PC temperatures. CPU is around 42C and GPU is around 50C (maximum recorded 55). Nothing too hot, and this is after about 2 hours of playing PoE on full settings 1900x1000 with all high and 16xAA. It says GPU load is around 92% but I'm guessing GPU's always run flat out when running games. I had similar issues when I had out of date graphics drivers but then I installed the new ones and it went away immediately. I can't remember the exact symptoms but seems similar, it was a clean install shouldn't be anything wrong with the drivers. Does PoE just not like the r9 280x?
Last edited by mark408 on Aug 6, 2014, 4:30:15 PM
I would start with checking your driver settings. Catalyst has several advanced settings for games, either optimizing, overruling or not affecting it.

You can try to make sure that your GPU driver does not affect setting in PoE itself so you can test several different settings in game first.
Last edited by Startkabels on Aug 6, 2014, 4:43:27 PM
Thanks for the reply, I will try this now. I had most settings in catalyst set to use application settings but will check if I missed something.
Checked all the settings, tried some alternative settings. All the same problems. It seems to be toggling second by second from like 60fps to 30 fps like just constantly changing between the 2, regardless of what is happening in the game. Could it be my motherboard integrated graphics interfering with my gpu?
Last edited by mark408 on Aug 6, 2014, 5:01:16 PM
You can try disabling the built-in GPU in your BIOS of possible

I'm using Catalyst Suite 14.10, with following settings for gaming:

Anti-Aliasing
  • Anti-Aliasing Mode: Use application settings
  • Anti-Aliasing Samples: Use application settings
  • Filter: Standard
  • Anti-Aliasing Method: Multisampling
  • Morphologic Filtering: Off

Texture Filtering
  • Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Use application settings
  • Anisotropic Filtering Level: Use application settings
  • Texture Filtering Optimization: On

Frame Rate Control
  • Wait for Vertical Refresh: Off, unless application specifies
  • OpenGL Triple Buffering: Off

Tessellation
  • Tessellation Mode: AMD Optimized
  • Maximum Tessellation Level: AMD Optimized

My in game settings are as follows: Everything maxed and all checkboxes enabled on 1920x1080 Full screen
Last edited by Startkabels on Aug 6, 2014, 5:08:12 PM
Hi, thanks again for the reply.

I have the exact settings as you apart from I play in windowed full screen but have tried both and it's giving me the same problems. It's just coming right now the same time as it did yesterday, more evidence that it could be an internet problem. I use vsync (Iv'e tried it on and off) Just so my card doesn't have to work as hard. Feels really terrible in game to play which is frustrating after playing on my old pc for so long and dying countless times to FPS drops and finally get a new PC and same problems. It's odd that it seems to be happening mainly at 8am-10am.
Last edited by mark408 on Aug 6, 2014, 5:15:02 PM
I've monitored my framerate but it is 60FPS constantly

If it's not limited by VSync I probably get between 60 and 100 constantly.

My setup:
i5 4670K @ 3.4Ghz
Sapphire r290 Trixx
250GB SSD
8GB RAM
Last edited by Startkabels on Aug 6, 2014, 5:16:24 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info