Some Thoughts on the Scion

In retrospect I think she was overnerfed unnecessarily. The main issue before was that she had a giant wad of 100% increased life all in one efficient spot, when the Marauder and Duelist had like 40% increased life each. Her root stats could be improved to moderate quality without breaking anything: 5% increased attack speed, 12% increased melee, 10% increased projectile. The 6% melee path into Path of the Warrior boofed to 8%.

What I love most about the class more than anything is the appearance of having more utility. The "prongs" at her start that deadend being the best example of that. They're each located in an area opposite to an area scarce to that stat. For example, a Ranger has zero increased radius%. A Scion ranger, has 12% open as an option. A pittance, but, it doesn't have to be. The numbers could be made bigger, and she'd still be weak when it comes to her damage source multiplier. (That's the Increased Damage%.)

Let's take the Regenerater Scion character. It's your standard Duelist-Marauder backbone, but starting as Scion. She takes Harrier, Shaper and Berserking (btw: guys never spend six points to buy berserking alone, that's the equivalanet of getting 3% increased atk speed for your skill point). What we're concerned with here is maximizing regeneration so that it gets a little nuts.

Marauder: 3.2
Duelist: 3.3
Scion: 2.2
Growth and Decay: 1.4

Altogether it's 10.1% life regenerated per second, for 9.9 seconds to full life. Dropping the Scion, and you have 7.9% regen, or 12.65 seconds to full life. Playing a stun build that has Endurance Charge on Melee Stun, you can have another 1.2% regen. So, I think the +10 life at her root could be changed to 0.4 to 0.6% regen.

Making her utility (besides that bodacious attack speed) comparable to other classes at the cost of not having any real damage%, I think that could really be her niche. Enough Radius nodes to match the 20% you get in Templar and Witch, so you can have ginormous Storm Calls. Other prongs added for the life, projectile, and spell roots for when other utility stats come up.

Making her root paths powerful in the traditional "increased action speed, increased damage, increased life" sense are obviously problematic; since she has three times as many routes as anyone else going that way to strengthen her can make her strictly better than someone else. But when it's stuff like skill duration, block%, regeneration, accuracy, and radius, it's much more conditional. More niche.

Much more conditional than having a death star of life% sitting there.
Last edited by LimitedRooster on Aug 3, 2014, 9:26:33 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Uh, really guys? We're going back to ~90% increased life equivalent in the wheel of eternity?

Guys. Just remove 2 or 3 nodes from there. Then it'll be reasonable and balanced.
Change it to armour, put some small amounts of life in her central area instead.

Would be so much better.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
I do think the Scion was overnerfed. The big wheels around her are good, but her starting nodes are complete garbage. Most characters are going to be pathing near the center of the tree anyway, so they can take advantage of the big wheels while skipping the garbage nodes at Scion start. In effect, Scion is subpar for all but a few builds that need to go to polar opposites of the tree; in those builds, you would save a few points by rolling Scion, in exchange for taking a few lousy nodes.

TL;DR Buff Scion starting nodes a little. Right now it's not worth rolling Scion 90+% of the time.
"
I do think the Scion was overnerfed. The big wheels around her are good, but her starting nodes are complete garbage. Most characters are going to be pathing near the center of the tree anyway, so they can take advantage of the big wheels while skipping the garbage nodes at Scion start. In effect, Scion is subpar for all but a few builds that need to go to polar opposites of the tree; in those builds, you would save a few points by rolling Scion, in exchange for taking a few lousy nodes.

TL;DR Buff Scion starting nodes a little. Right now it's not worth rolling Scion 90+% of the time.

Arguably best summoner

Arguably best auramancer

Arguably best trapper

Arguably best CI user (easy access to US/IR/CI, same for low life using US/IR)

And there's another good base build that I can't remember off the top of my head. And her strength path is actually very solid.
Last edited by Autocthon on Aug 15, 2014, 9:07:09 PM
I agree the Scion's numbers are lackluster. I can't see myself rolling a Scion for any purpose at this point.
In any build that's "good" as Scion, you save a few passives at the expense of taking 4+ weak passives. This is the core issue with the class.
"
Autocthon wrote:

Arguably best summoner

Arguably best auramancer

Arguably best trapper

Looking at the new tree, I think a Scion Summoner would only rival Witch if you are ES and taking Necromantic Aegis. I can't fathom Scion being as good a trapper as Shadow or Ranger with the new tree.
Last edited by Britannicus on Aug 17, 2014, 6:43:21 PM
"
Britannicus wrote:
"
Autocthon wrote:

Arguably best summoner

Arguably best auramancer

Arguably best trapper

Looking at the new tree, I think a Scion Summoner would only rival Witch if you are ES and taking Necromantic Aegis. I can't fathom Scion being as good a trapper as Shadow or Ranger with the new tree.
Still leaves best CI/US/IR combo, best MOM user, and best auramancer. And I'll say conditionally best summoner.

Those are some pretty solid builds to be good at.
Last edited by Autocthon on Aug 17, 2014, 8:12:12 PM
Why do you think Scion would be best MoM user? Other classes can get to MoM while taking other nodes for their build, and many MoM builds use Cloak of Defiance instead of taking the keystone anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info