why the Crafting Change.

"
RagnarokChu wrote:
"
MasterAxe wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Okay what is "normal crafting" to you, let's break it down.

I combine ingame tools (orbs) to make something.

If I traded 3 bear tooths, 5 jackle hides and 1 boar tongue for 60 life does that make you feel better? If I had all of that then I did the ritual of right clicking the furnace and waiting 20 seconds as my character hits a hammer on an anvil does that make it crafting?

I mean really.

Also it sounds exactly like a crafting system, use XYZ to get XYZ. The costs are high enough that trading/orb crafting is still cheaper in most cases.

Purchasing 4 mods to make an item (Assuming they range from 1-3 chaos apiece) is still higher then buying an 2 chaos item with all of the mods on it. But it'll allow people to get workable gear without trading or finding specific niches of gear that is hard to find in trading like I said.

Normal crafting for me, as an example
1)Find the recipe or formula
2)farm or trade for ingredients
3)use the ingredients in a forge or weave or whatever
4)checkout YOUR Crafted item

now granted my personal vision would require steps 1-3 many times, making ingredients needed for the final phase. This is crafting, i actually made something, not a vender or npc, i did. You can keep arguing its the same thing, but its not, and the feeling from doing it is not the same either.

GGG version:

1) Do quest to unlock recipe/forumla (arbitrary but whatever) haven't announced that you can "find" recipes or formulas but you unlock them by playing the game.
2) Farm or trade for ingredients (Orbs)
3) Use the ingredients in the forge/whatever (use the crafting bench in your hideout)
4) check out your crafted item (random? Like using the orb on the item, preset with certain stats like how it shows in the screenshots adding mod by mod?)

What makes it different, I talked about part 2 where we can replace orbs with random magical body parts if you want. I talked about part 3 where is it a theme or the atmosphere or something that makes the difference?

I played WoW crafting, single player RPG crafting, and many other forms of crafting and they usually involve 1-6 steps like you said in different flavors. Just because this isn't your favorite form of icecream doesn't make it not a valid flavor, now we have 3 forms of crafting which is vendor, orb using and this system.

OK, one last time, you are comparing say 2 cooks, one is a chef who makes 6 course meals with fresh ingredients from scratch, the other takes a lasagna frozen out of a box. Yes they both are cooking, but only one is truly A COOK/CHEF.

You can keep arguing all you want, but its simple, this is NOT crafting, its at best npc crafting, but more so vender purchasing(D3 had Vender Crafting). Thats my opinion anyways, and im right, in my mind, LOL. You are of course welcome to your own opinion, and you will be right in your mind, and thats ok too.

not sure why your making such a big deal out of this, but whatevs, lol.
IGN:Axe_Crazy
Hi

This change was a long time in the constant suggesting for GGG to NOT take notice of the potential it will have to add a third viable option/orb sink besides YOLO'ing or over inflated trade spamfest. Items only have as much value as a person is willing to trade or need.

When I joined the game back in CB, description overview once mentioned crafting, it was subsequently removed and hopefully can soon be re'added to the games awesome features again:P

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
Xantaria wrote:
If this patch devalues my items

Standard...
This is just what is needed to bring the HUGE GAP in prices between items closer.

Currently item progression is like this:

1 chaos - 5 chaos - 10 chaos - 1 ex - 5 ex - 20 ex - mirror gear

This change will finally allow you to add that 1 mod that would make your drop useable.
An example:

These boots dropped on one of my first characters and are ilvl 54. Only bad thing i find in them is having no move speed.
People ask for around 5 exalts for roughly same stats but with a 10% move speed attached, 15+ for 15-20% move speed ones.

These are far from a perfect pair of boots but they are pretty darn good for me. Having an ability to add that 10% or 15% move speed won't make anyone with their mirror boots poor or lose a sale, it would just make it more linear in price ranges.

Now when you drop that item that lacks that ONE mod to make you use it as an actual upgrade you can add it.

Does this devalue endgame items? No, perfect gear still requires eternals and stuff. Does it smooth out gear progression? Hell yes.

This has been by far my biggest reason of abandoning my high level characters, after a point an upgrade costs me as much as a whole new build would cost.
[2.2] The Vampire - Tanky 2H Axe Slayer Duelist - /view-thread/1611662
Last edited by Mannoth on Jul 31, 2014, 7:36:01 PM
"
Xantaria wrote:
Rly don't like that change ... AT ALL.

If this patch devalues my items I'll be quite mad.

If you have perfect, or near perfect items, I doubt the new crafting will even come close in terms of stats.

For those that trade, a nice item that is missing one key affix could suddenly become worth crafting to the seller, or to the buyer.

I think this will help most players.

As for the "Devaluing" concept, there will be new items and new mods at some point. Expecting to have the best ever forever without updating is bound to bring grief down the road.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jul 31, 2014, 7:36:46 PM
"

GGG version:

1) Do quest to unlock recipe/forumla (arbitrary but whatever) haven't announced that you can "find" recipes or formulas but you unlock them by playing the game.
2) Farm or trade for ingredients (Orbs)
3) Use the ingredients in the forge/whatever (use the crafting bench in your hideout)
4) check out your crafted item (random? Like using the orb on the item, preset with certain stats like how it shows in the screenshots adding mod by mod?)

What makes it different, I talked about part 2 where we can replace orbs with random magical body parts if you want. I talked about part 3 where is it a theme or the atmosphere or something that makes the difference?

I played WoW crafting, single player RPG crafting, and many other forms of crafting and they usually involve 1-6 steps like you said in different flavors. Just because this isn't your favorite form of icecream doesn't make it not a valid flavor, now we have 3 forms of crafting which is vendor, orb using and this system.

"

OK, one last time, you are comparing say 2 cooks, one is a chef who makes 6 course meals with fresh ingredients from scratch, the other takes a lasagna frozen out of a box. Yes they both are cooking, but only one is truly A COOK/CHEF.

You can keep arguing all you want, but its simple, this is NOT crafting, its at best npc crafting, but more so vender purchasing(D3 had Vender Crafting). Thats my opinion anyways, and im right, in my mind, LOL. You are of course welcome to your own opinion, and you will be right in your mind, and thats ok too.

not sure why your making such a big deal out of this, but whatevs, lol.

So you are comparing two cooks (crafting) and one makes extra fancy crafting with a tons of options that makes food, one takes prepackaged frozen food and then cook it.

Both of them are crafting and cooking, being a "real" means "quality" not the state of being.

I am not arguing, I'm saying your "opinons" is one of the reason why it took 50000 years to GGG to even make an update like this, for saying this isn't real crafting and then providing no actual way to improve it or make it enjoyable.

There are people who say the current orb crafting isn't "crafting" as well as vendor crafting, and now people say this isn't crafting. There are only so many form crafting they can put in the game.

You cannot say "why are you making this a big deal" and then give a speech about I can have my opinion even though it's wrong. This isn't even a matter of opinion, I literally broken down crafting system that you defined into the GGG system and then asked "what spices/fluff/fresh ingredients are you asking for here".

Do not put post if your going to respond to me that it isn't "crafting" because it's not the way you think crafting is, tell me why or how to legitimatize GGG crafting into a more fulfilling system. All you did was list basic steps any game with a crafting system give or take 1-2 steps with different fluff.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jul 31, 2014, 7:40:34 PM
"
SirSid wrote:
T1 mods , and i hope T2 mods will hopefully be only accessable through the crafting we have now, this will hold top tier item value. While giveing you more option to craft early- mid game.

Knowing GGG and the way the are going about vendor recipeys i think this is how it will work out, witch is fine if you can "craft" decent gear with this new system , then start in on the orb based crafing system for top items.

i think this is accurate - after all, the problem only exists at mid-ish level where you are actually limited by gear. if you've been unlucky in drops you could suffer hardcore, especially in hardcore, and this includes new leagues.

pretty sure these additional options in crafting (not full out change in crafting) will be geared towards spending your mid level currency to make even more necessary upgrades at the time, much like how other changes have affected the game such as recipes and vaal orbs

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info