Fun fact; Incandescent heart gives CI builds 33% more ES vs Elemental dmg

"
One thing I'd like to add, is losing ES on your chest isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. While using a Solaris Lorica(No ES), and a Rise of the Phoenix(Basically no ES) I still managed 5K ES with Discipline up. My other gear was good, but it wasn't anything amazing(350ES Helm, 200ES Boots, 150ES Gloves, and 20-40ES on Rings and Amulets with an additional 20% ES on my Amulet. Which is decent gear, but nothing that's all that expensive, and it still ramped to a respectable amount of ES. On a more serious build than my silly Solaris Low-life setup, using a proper 400+ ES shield, it should not only be possible, but easy to hit 7-8K ES while using Incandescent Heart, ES really does scale that easily, and that quickly. That 800-1000ES Vaal Regalia that you have your eye on is really only for the people who want to stack over 10K ES, aside from that, you don't need it.

How did you reach 5k with just that? I need to see it to believe it
"
Salajadin wrote:

Sure thing, quite proud of the theorycraft, it turned out way better than expected, and was a very fun self-challenge. I started the idea somewhere around the last 2 weeks of Ambush, but took a break from PoE when Divinity: Original Sin came out, and just recently decided to finish the build idea. Probably going to post something more formal in the Witch section this weekend.

Total cost of the build is about 15-20ex, so not super cheap, but compared to the price of a Shav's, there's no competition.

Defensive Stats
The current things I'm trying to help my defenses is get more mana regen for AA(currently only level 13), and try to get a bit more Armour/Evasion since physical damage is a bit annoying, I'm basically immune to all but the heaviest elemental damage though.
Spoiler

Offensive Stats
As you can see my damage is quite low, at least for Arc, being stuck with level 2 Empower and level 20 Arc certainly hurts it, and I'd like to fix that once I get more currency. The other big issue is I have very few damage nodes, since I only just started to have the freedom to take those nodes, now that I can finally sustain RF. But basically every passive can now safely go into damage, so that will fix itself quickly as well. This isn't necessarily an Arc build, since it takes mostly just generic spell damage, and elemental damage passives, I just use Arc since it's basically the best self-cast spell.
Spoiler

Passive Tree
This is what my passive tree is going to look like at level 90, my current tree is basically identical to this, just missing a few damage nodes(currently only level 83).

As you may notice I take 6% buff effect from the Inner Force circle, this is because when using a level 20 Purity aura with all of the aura effect nodes, you get 6.x%(forget the exact number) max resistance, which rounds down to 6%, but with the 6% buff node, you get 7.06% max resist, which rounds down to 7%, this is necessary to sustain RF without getting the Marauder Max Resist passives. Currently I cannot spec into Inner Force and sustain RF at the same time.

You may also notice all the wasted nodes in the Heart of Oak section, unfortunately this regen is necessary to sustain RF, and the result is better than taking 5 damage nodes and not using RF, so I'm sticking with it. If I ever find a way to run a level 23 Purity of Fire with this set-up, then I should be able to respec those 5 nodes directly into damage. No clue how I'll manage that yet.

Gear
If I swap my gloves and boots with Rainbowstride and Voidbringer I get 5.1K ES. But mana issues start to pop up due to Voidbringer, so I quickly crafted the linked gloves and boots to help with that. Ran out of Scours but I will re-do the gloves once I get more. Only spent about 1ex crafting them so it was worth it so far.

That being said, if you do use Rainbowstride and Voidbringer, then using Perandus Signets is worth about 350 ES per ring slot due to the Int Bonus, creating a pretty viable all Unique Item build, if that's something that interests you. The downside is you'd need to drop Haste in exchange for Purity of Elements to cover the loss in resists. On the plus side you should have about 5.7K ES then.
Spoiler
Last edited by Shotgun_Surgeon on Jul 31, 2014, 6:24:29 PM
Best option is corrupt +1 on gloves or boots and use Empower level 2 with Purity of Fire level 20.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
"
Salajadin wrote:

Sure thing, quite proud of the theorycraft, it turned out way better than expected, and was a very fun self-challenge. I started the idea somewhere around the last 2 weeks of Ambush, but took a break from PoE when Divinity: Original Sin came out, and just recently decided to finish the build idea. Probably going to post something more formal in the Witch section this weekend.

Total cost of the build is about 15-20ex, so not super cheap, but compared to the price of a Shav's, there's no competition.

Defensive Stats
The current things I'm trying to help my defenses is get more mana regen for AA(currently only level 13), and try to get a bit more Armour/Evasion since physical damage is a bit annoying, I'm basically immune to all but the heaviest elemental damage though.
Spoiler

Offensive Stats
As you can see my damage is quite low, at least for Arc, being stuck with level 2 Empower and level 20 Arc certainly hurts it, and I'd like to fix that once I get more currency. The other big issue is I have very few damage nodes, since I only just started to have the freedom to take those nodes, now that I can finally sustain RF. But basically every passive can now safely go into damage, so that will fix itself quickly as well. This isn't necessarily an Arc build, since it takes mostly just generic spell damage, and elemental damage passives, I just use Arc since it's basically the best self-cast spell.
Spoiler

Passive Tree
This is what my passive tree is going to look like at level 90, my current tree is basically identical to this, just missing a few damage nodes(currently only level 83).

As you may notice I take 6% buff effect from the Inner Force circle, this is because when using a level 20 Purity aura with all of the aura effect nodes, you get 6.x%(forget the exact number) max resistance, which rounds down to 6%, but with the 6% buff node, you get 7.06% max resist, which rounds down to 7%, this is necessary to sustain RF without getting the Marauder Max Resist passives. Currently I cannot spec into Inner Force and sustain RF at the same time.

You may also notice all the wasted nodes in the Heart of Oak section, unfortunately this regen is necessary to sustain RF, and the result is better than taking 5 damage nodes and not using RF, so I'm sticking with it. If I ever find a way to run a level 23 Purity of Fire with this set-up, then I should be able to respec those 5 nodes directly into damage. No clue how I'll manage that yet.

Gear
If I swap my gloves and boots with Rainbowstride and Voidbringer I get 5.1K ES. But mana issues start to pop up due to Voidbringer, so I quickly crafted the linked gloves and boots to help with that. Ran out of Scours but I will re-do the gloves once I get more. Only spent about 1ex crafting them so it was worth it so far.

That being said, if you do use Rainbowstride and Voidbringer, then using Perandus Signets is worth about 350 ES per ring slot due to the Int Bonus, creating a pretty viable all Unique Item build, if that's something that interests you. The downside is you'd need to drop Haste in exchange for Purity of Elements to cover the loss in resists. On the plus side you should have about 5.7K ES then.
Spoiler

You didnt really have to make such post to explain it, but thanks i appreciate it.

If you can actually reach 5k ES with that kind of gear, i guess ES shields and chests are totally overrated? lol
Last edited by HitachiLex on Aug 1, 2014, 12:49:50 AM
Not really, 5K ES is different from 5K Life, I'd rather 7k+ to feel safe.

They ain't overrated, just if you can get more then you get more :)
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Eh, theorycrafting and build discussion is fun. I think the moral of the story isn't so much that ES chests and shields are overrated, but more that items like Incandescent Heart and Solaris Lorica are severely underrated(Especially Solaris, everyone seems to absolutely hate it), as it's not all that difficult to build around their low/no ES. In the end, once you get Ghost Reaver and Zealot's Oath, ES is pretty much the same as Life, all you're missing out on the the ability to spam Seething flasks in a panic, and with Vaal Discipline doing that job almost as well(damned cast time) I still feel pretty safe with 5K ES, and so far haven't died since moving into my final build setup.
Don't confuse the purpose of the chest. It's all about mitigating more damage and being tankier. Having low ES is counterproductive for that purpose.

It's solely for melee CI characters that have to use AR/ES chests to get proper socket colors. With enough currency going for any 600+ ES chest is far better defense wise. That mitigates all forms of damage and allows for a higher leechrate. Incandescent only mitigates elemental damage. It's a good transitioning unique but it can never be BiS.
Last edited by kasub on Aug 1, 2014, 1:33:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info