which does more damage - Tempest Shield or Hatred?

All things being equal level-wise and quality, which skill would do more damage, Tempest Shield or Hatred? I'm assuming it has to be Hatred given it's extra cost mana-wise? I'd like to use both, but as I already run Hatred and Grace I can't squeeze all three in together, even with RM - not unless a 20/20 RM can make them all squeeze in together.
Last edited by timbo1959 on Jul 30, 2014, 9:19:52 PM
Assuming you are a melee physical damage build, Hatred by miles and miles. In the right circumstances it will deal literally hundreds of times more damage than Tempest Shield. As a general rule, Tempest Shield is only worth using if you don't have the mana spare to use any other aura.

(Side note: quality on reduced mana does not affect auras, since tey do not have mana costs. Mana reservation is not treated as a mana cost in this game)
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Jul 30, 2014, 9:53:16 PM
thanks for that. Appreciated.
Tempest shield is primarily there for the 4% more block chance it provides. On very high block chars which are also casters it may have enough damage to kill trash mobs whose attacks they block, but in most cases it deals sub par dmg. For crit melee chars with high block tempest shield can be coupled to PCoC to generate free power charges on block, but generally I feel linking PCoC on the main attack skill is better.

Hatred is a dmg aura primarily for physical dmg dealers and the best dmg aura for this type of characters.

items shop: 364086
ign: [ICU]missuse
if you like to HLD, add me
inactive in game atm, PM me if you need something.
I was actually experimenting today with Alpha's Howl (just picked one up) to get all three in together, and it works, but I have so little mana left that I can't use things like Punishment. My total mana is only about 600. I could try and address it on the skill tree and/or gear, or by getting a maxed RM, but wondering if it's all worth it. Main appeal for TS is the block, as I'm trying to max it out over the next 8 - 10 levels of experience so the 4% would sure help. Currently my blocking total sits at 41 without TS in play.
Last edited by timbo1959 on Jul 31, 2014, 9:39:24 AM
Tempest shild can be also used by high block/spellblock casters to shock-proliferate, or even to freeze-proliferate (with The three dragons). Works best with crit builds
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Tempest Shield can do good damage but it requires a dedicated build - a high block/spell block crit caster who is okay with dedicating most of their mana reservation to Tempest Shield. Hatred, on the other hand, is good on anybody with high physical damage.
Okay, interesting, if confusing replies. I currently do use Three Dragons, but was looking to ditch it in favour of something else, as it would free up the the three nodes I used to get the Static Shock passives on its behalf - I was going to rededicate them to blocking nodes.

I'm really trying to make up my mind which way to go. If I ditch Three Dragons I can either chase after a good helm with good resists and some added boosts to life, etc or I can try and take advantage of of Alpha Howl's aura benefits for Grace and Hatred AND TS. I've also mused over the pros and cons of using Vertex Vaal mask, as it could certainly help as well. Either option though really hits me on resistances, and as anyone who's used Lightning Coil knows, keeping lightning up on that thing is a real pain. As I use a lot of Uniques, it really throws pressure on the upgraded rings and gloves I'm shopping for to make up for the resistance loss.

I run a marauder build that's based around a lot of elemental damage via Molten Strike, WED, etc. Skill tree also has a number of nodes dedicated to elemental damage, like Avatar of Fire, catalyze, etc.

To save any confusion, here's my bits and pieces. Ignore a number of the gems - they're just along for the ride for experimentation and/or leveling while I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do gear-wise. Also note that the Paua amulet is in place because of mana and attribute issues. Otherwise I'd toss in a Stone of Lazhwar. The usual gem setup is -

Molten Strike/Multistrike/WED/CE/FA/BM
Molten Shell/Iron Will/Fire penetration/RM
CWDT/Enfeeble
IC/EC/Increased Duration
Hatred/Grace/RM
Punishment

I'm running on about 4000HP and 600 mana, with aprox. 14k dps and 9k defense (with auras on)

Last edited by timbo1959 on Jul 31, 2014, 5:01:41 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info