Frostbite + cold pen gem support gem.

Hi guys

I was reading up on who resistances work on poewiki and it says that cold pen ignores monsters overcapped with resistances. For instance if you have a cold pen gem with 30% cold pen and you hit a monster with 100% cold resist, the resistance shred ignores the 100% begins at 75% so the monster ends up with 45% resist/reduced damage against your cold attacks even though it has 100% cold resist. Now I was wondering if you are doing a frostbite/cold pen gem combo if you curse that same monster that has 100% cold resist how does it work when you attack them? Would the cold pen gem take affect first and reduce it to 45% and then the frostbite takes another 40% cold resist off so the monster ends up with 5% cold resist? Or does it calculate your attacks so the curse takes off a chunk of the overcapped 100% down to 60% and the cold pen then takes the monster down to 30% cold resist? It is a big difference and was just wondering how this mechanic works.

As a side question how often do you find mobs with over 75% cold resist? Is it just bosses and rare monsters with rare combinations of buffs or is it a bit more common?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Penetration works on whatever resistance value the monster had at the time of the hit. So frostbite would have reduced its 100% resistance to 60% and penetrate would ignore 30% leaving the target with 30%.

Overshot resists are actually pretty common, if a monster that's naturally resistant to an element has 'elemental resistance' mod it's already well over 75%. And if it also has elemental resist aura it's close to 150%.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Jul 30, 2014, 5:53:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I thought the former calculation would be too good to be true.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info