System-Freeze on nearly every quitting attempt

Hello,

I have the problem, that I cannot quit PoE without getting a complete system freeze. This happens always when I've played a while. It doesn't occur when I start the game and immediately quit without playing. When I click on the Log-out button, the screen goes black and doesn't return to desktop. When I Alt+F4 I get to the desktop, but after a few seconds the mouse cursor disappears, I hear the usual Windows Error sound when a message should pop up, but there is none, no mouse cursor and no reaction to button commands like ctrl+alt+del. I always have to manually restart the whole system and then get the message that the "system has recovered from a serious error".

Starting the game works fine, playing it works fine too, but quitting results in doom.

I ran the hash check but it didn't find anything. I have the steam version of PoE. I also put the -swa addition to the steam launcher settings, but it didn't help.

XP, 32bit, 2 GB, Radeon HD 1 GB

Hey there,

Can you check that all your drivers are up-to-date? You may need to submit a DxDiag report in a spoiler tag so users can approach your case with as much information as possible. You may also need to look into getting the log files of this crash. Sometimes EventViewer can help here, although if it's a system crash you may need to look into any dump files that were created upon crash.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
Thank you very much for the suggestion with the EventViewer. It turned out it was an issue with the ati driver (the latest one for Radeon HD 5750). The error entry said that ati2dvag was in an endless loop, which caused the freeze. I uninstalled the driver (14.4) and installed an older one (12.8), now PoE exits correctly. It seems that the freezes I randomly got in loading screens when zoning previously now also are gone, due to the older driver.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info