Tracking RMT

Hi all. At the commencement of the new league it would be possible to track a sample of the real-money price and available quantity of some RMT-able orbs, and comparing those numbers over time (e.g. on a weekly basis) between leagues.

This data may help inform the debate as to its relevance to the wider in-game economy.

If the data was kept anonymous and no information as to the source of the data (eg websites), do you think that providing this data:
1. Would or would not be against the terms of use or spirit of the forum?
2. Be helpful or not in informing the debate around RMT (etc)?

P.

PS: If a GGG or Support Staff member could chime in it would be appreciated!
Last edited by mrpetrov on Jul 29, 2014, 9:19:58 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Making RMT seem like a normal thing is backfiring any efforts to fight RMT. This community showed in the past that they can't handle numbers in any sensible way (there was one exception but it was basically posted on reddit before). Releasing numbers will also feed 3rd party sites with information.

So yeah, many reasons NOT to do it. Everybody but honest players will profit from it.

Honestly, you look like you want to advertise 3rd party services.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 29, 2014, 9:26:15 AM
"
Nightmare90 wrote:
Making RMT seem like a normal thing is backfiring any efforts to fight RMT. This community showed in the past that they can't handle numbers in any sensible way (there was one exception but it was basically posted on reddit before). Releasing numbers will also feed 3rd party sites with information.

So yeah, many reasons NOT to do it. Everybody but honest players will profit from it.

Well, RMT seems like a normal thing already. And any efforts to fight it seem rather... poor. Not like the guy who was shown to have a RMT only mirrored wand here on the forums ever saw any action taken against them.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
Nightmare90 wrote:

What a douchy post
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1552460 - my drop solution
Specs: CPU - i5 9600k, geforce 2060, 32 gb ram, ssd, 2133/2333 mz.-----
EXILES EVERYWHERE, PLEASE?!?!?!
"
Cergic wrote:
"
Nightmare90 wrote:

What a douchy post

I am impressed. Your arguments blew me away.

I know that the consensus around here is that discussing RMT and raising awareness where none is really needed is a good thing. So I am not really surprised. People confuse their efforts to "fight RMT" in posting threads about it all day to be of any actual positive use.

I won't discuss this shit a second time. I told OP why his brilliant idea might backfire. You guys can keep jerking around your top-ladder guys, blaming everybody having good gear to have a compromised account.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 29, 2014, 10:05:55 AM
"
Nightmare90 wrote:

I know that the consensus around here is that discussing RMT and raising awareness where none is really needed is a good thing. So I am not really surprised. People confuse their efforts to "fight RMT" in posting threads about it all day to be of any actual positive use.

I've never felt I'm fighting RMT. Feels more like I'm fighting GGG to do something about it, since I don't really have any power over it. And their ostensible complacency seems suspect.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
First of all... Bloody good to see your still around Petrov.

Second, I am not sure what you hope to accomplish by doing this? Bring to light just how much RMT is effecting the global economy? Or something close?

-Dragon
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
GGG is fighting rmt relatively well imo, although most of it goes behind the scenes so people who dont put more than 5 seconds of thought into it may come to the conclusion that they are doing nothing.

GGG has eliminated chat and pm spam faster and more effectively than any other game I have ever seen.

They do ban rmt consumers and suppliers but have stated that they have to do so with 100% certainty. So when people in the community know someone is doing it by common sense or common names to d2jsp or whatever, that is not enough proof for them.

Also keep in mind that poe is a very trade and item centric game, even by online rpg standards so GGG has proportionally more work than most in fighting it. In spite of that, GGG (a small indie company) does a better job than almost any big developer when it comes to fighting rmt.
"
Dragon585 wrote:
First of all... Bloody good to see your still around Petrov.

Second, I am not sure what you hope to accomplish by doing this? Bring to light just how much RMT is effecting the global economy? Or something close?

-Dragon

Hi mate, nice to read your dulcet tones - come visit me in ToG? I just lurk and try to keep abreast of developments.

As you say, I would be hoping to try and shed some little light on the question of how RMT impacts the PoE economy. In any case, doesn't seem like people care or want to really investigate the issue further, and I've certainly got better things to do with my time, so I'll let it drop.

P.
"
mrpetrov wrote:
I would be hoping to try and shed some little light on the question of how RMT impacts the PoE economy. In any case, doesn't seem like people care or want to really investigate the issue further, and I've certainly got better things to do with my time, so I'll let it drop.
P.

the general understanding is that rmt is bad for a game (especially if it's hard and not rewarding to play) because people spend their money getting ingame advantages rather than donating it to the company which built the game.

what results do you expect from this statistics?
what's the reason to put that general understanding in question at all?

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info