New Player Needs Help Picking a Build

I've been playing this game for about a week and have been really enjoying it. I've leveled a shadow up to 45, but I am sure that my build is not very good and I was thinking about starting a new character now that I have more experience with the passive tree and the way the skill gem combinations work. I've been reading a lot of class guides and watching a bunch of build videos, but it's all a bit overwhelming and furthermore builds often seem to require at least one unique. Since I mostly play solo, and am not sure how much trading I will do, or if I will ever acquire enough wealth to purchase certain uniques, I want a build that can work under certain conditions. Specifically:

- around 70 points on the passive tree
- does not need any uniques
- can function on 4L items if necessary

I had some ideas for builds based on some builds I've seen before, but it's hard to tell if they could work with my conditions.

- a scion tank using infernal blow
- a lightning arrow ranger
- a ranged reave duelist (multistrike + increased aoe, something my shadow is using now)

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!
"
Threeve wrote:
I've been playing this game for about a week and have been really enjoying it. I've leveled a shadow up to 45, but I am sure that my build is not very good and I was thinking about starting a new character now that I have more experience with the passive tree and the way the skill gem combinations work. I've been reading a lot of class guides and watching a bunch of build videos, but it's all a bit overwhelming and furthermore builds often seem to require at least one unique. Since I mostly play solo, and am not sure how much trading I will do, or if I will ever acquire enough wealth to purchase certain uniques, I want a build that can work under certain conditions. Specifically:

- around 70 points on the passive tree
- does not need any uniques
- can function on 4L items if necessary

I had some ideas for builds based on some builds I've seen before, but it's hard to tell if they could work with my conditions.

- a scion tank using infernal blow
- a lightning arrow ranger
- a ranged reave duelist (multistrike + increased aoe, something my shadow is using now)

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions!

This is the build I'm currently working on.

Yes, I know it's more than 70 points but it isn't hard to get to 80 with this build.

It requires no uniques, can take great advantage of uniques, and does not require good gear whatsoever. This is because it obtains max block, has Acrobatics, and Mind Over Matter.

You're almost never hit, and hits that do deal damage are mitigated by being split into two hit point pools instead of being focused into one.

The drawback is that it has no direct damage investment. I would recommend using either:

1. Cybil's Paw, since it turns block into spell damage. Very powerful with Incinerate.

2. Facebreakers, since it allows you to gear for it more easily and you can get away with the fewer sockets.

My Current Gear
Last edited by Natharias on Jul 28, 2014, 11:00:21 PM
Hmm, I can recommend an arc witch. Heres a guide that fits your conditions

Very straightforward blaster caster.
Heavy strike / cyclone - or ground slam - It can be done with few links and a relatively large degree of freedom.
With end charge on stun you can generate end charges very fast, twirl around and have a high duration immortal call proc if you take any dmg.

Arc requires speed resist reduction and perhaps leech. As mentioned.

Twohanded spectral throw requires a weapon and likes links, but there is a measure of freedom and safety.

Dominating blow can be approached from a lot of different angles.

Elemental hit totems benefit from links, but totem + ele hit + wed + faster attacks / LMP gets you somewhere and I guess lvl'ing it with searing bond involved would be a way forward.

Poison arrow, desecrate, viperstrike can be done with freedom.

Flameblast?

After the next passive reset I'll turn 1 of my lvl'ed characters into a reave tank. Sword (perhaps claw, Bloodseeker) + speed nodes, block and reave + multi + phys dmg + blood magic and mind over matter.
Last edited by Chiliconkarma on Jul 29, 2014, 8:46:57 AM
Dont care about what people are saying, just pick the skill/way to play thats the most fun to you and then build a character for that
I'm a savage, I'm a king
I fought deceivers
I conquered evil

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info