Chin Sol + Burning Arrow (AoE) + Puncture (Single Target) FEEDBACK PLEASE

Hello friends,
I would highly appreciate some feedback on the following build I have recently theorycrafted...

The IDEA:
After noticing the power of the Elemental Buzzsaw build, I figured the core idea should not be limited to Spectral Throw. The main concept of the Buzzsaw build is to spec into a majority of the aura passives as well as the Inner Force cluster, which increases the effect of the Anger, Wrath, and Haste auras by 94% in total. By building into these passives, we are essentially doubling the effect of our auras and increasing the damage output of our elemental attacks to a high degree. Imagine this high degree of damage being further amplified by the Trap and Remote Mine support gems, which each increase a MORE damage modifier when leveled. Now, imagine that degree of damage amplified even further by using the Chin Sol unique bow, which adds 100% MORE damage at close range, along with the Point Blank passive, which adds another 50% MORE damage at close range. Let's not stop there and remember the good old Physical Projectile Attack Damage gem, which adds yet another 49% MORE damage modifier at level 20. Now, let's do the math here and add each of these MORE damage modifiers together...

The MATH:
Chin Sol = 100% MORE
Point Blank = 50% MORE
Trap (lvl 20) = 34% MORE
Remote Mine (lvl 20) = 49% MORE
Physical Projectile Attack Damage (lvl 20) = 49% MORE

100+50+34+49+49 = 282% MORE damage output with this combination!!!

The IDEA Continued:
When using traps and mines, the range of the attack or cast is calculated from the location of the triggered trap/mine, not from the location of the player. Using traps and mines is perfect with Chin Sol and Point Blank because their required close range benefits can always be met while the player is safely at a distance. Reflect is also no issue when using traps or mines because the damage is never reflected back to the player, only to the trap/mine itself. Now, which attacks would be best suited for this setup? Take a look at my gem selection below...

The GEMS:
These are in order from most to least importance...

[Chest] Burning Arrow - Trap - Chance to Ignite - Elemental Proliferation - Increased Area of Effect - Weapon Elemental Damage

[Weapon] Puncture - Remote Mine - Trap - Physical Projectile Attack Damage - Increased Duration - ???

[Helm] Ice Nova - Trap - Increased Area of Effect - Elemental Weakness

[Gloves] Reduced Mana - Blood Magic - Clarity - Vulnerability

[Boots] Reduced Mana - Wrath - Anger - Grace

The IDEA Behind the Gem Selection:
The gem selection above is what I feel is best suited for a Chin Sol/Point Blank build setup...

[Burning Arrow]
The Burning Arrow attack is buffed by a doubled Anger/Wrath aura effect, a 184% MORE damage modifier total, a 49% MORE elemental damage modifier from the Weapon Elemental Damage gem, and a combination of the chosen weapon elemental, projectile and trap damage passives, which can be seen by clicking on the build's link below. By triggering ONE Burning Arrow Trap, a single target has a 69% chance to be ignited if both the Chance to Ignite and Burning Arrow gems are level 20. With Burning Arrow being buffed so drastically, each initial hit will be very high in damage, resulting in a powerful wide-ranged burning proliferation buffed further by various increased burning damage passives. Burn duration is also buffed considerably by quality gems. Oh yeah, let's not forget an Elemental Weakness curse and an Ice Nova Trap used to apply Elemental Equilibrium to everything right before Burning Arrow proliferates these powerful burns/shock-stacks (from Wrath) to the entire screen...

[Puncture]
The Puncture attack is buffed by a doubled Anger/Wrath aura effect, a 282% MORE damage modifier total, and a combination of the chosen weapon elemental, projectile and trap damage passives. By triggering a Puncture Trap, the target is immediately applied a stationary bleed debuff and knocked back by the Chin Sol unique bow, which in turn applies an even higher damaging mobile bleed debuff. As long as the target is mobile, it is bleeding away health at 145% of the initial damage dealt by Puncture over four seconds. Gem quality will increase this duration. Knockback is always applied to targets when using the Chin Sol unique bow to attack, resulting in constant mobile bleed damage from Puncture to even stationary targets. Using the Vulnerability curse, we increase not only the initial damage of Puncture, but also the damage over time from the bleed debuff, so this curse will always be the best choice for Puncture's single target damage. With this setup Puncture will be extremely powerful...

[Auras]
We run the Wrath, Anger, Grace, and Clarity auras in this build. Each aura is linked with the Reduced Mana gem, while Clarity, due to various mana reservation passives, can be linked to the Blood Magic gem with no significant penalty to our health pool. Each aura gem can be leveled to 20, and each will have its effect essentially doubled due to various aura effect passives. That's right, DOUBLED. DOUBLE Wrath, DOUBLE Anger, DOUBLE Grace, and DOUBLE Clarity!!! DOUBLE! DOUBLE! DOUBLE! DOUBLE! With the Iron Reflexes passive and a doubled Grace aura effect, our physical damage reduction will be through the roof with the right gear, and mana shouldn't be an issue with a Clarity running at double its effectiveness...

The BUILD:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIAm40ILu2DGY4AXtN-73p9de4O_roj9lb6u-Pv8PzFdEHEolpIZ6DdDaTClwaHdluvLYNKfU4qGYr7CZu19trDOhqPykpGK2-eTpuDCUZxtAzhiJMn6rodqhzcfrA8jn_G8XZbu1fJJ6kRlnBRKPpabXC72FTr7pitJDzZE7iTp1wvb6cIDH1JUZ2uEH8abBJpxp4ZhfPdFxwkqnF5NunjavrSZp4XL8AaZOeG0ZBVWfNV1iSwp4SsqoCkGjhyqew4fNlX4nflMokEsxRN8B8CcYM4ogDvfDwFn98ppQ==

The CONCLUSION:
This is all pure theorycrafting on my part. I have never built anything remotely close to this build. Please tell me what you think about it all in the comments below...

Last edited by GenJTC on Jul 27, 2014, 8:42:40 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Puncture's Bleed is based on Physical Damage only. Just something to keep in mind :) It'll be decent enough I presume, but I'm not familiar with popular Puncture setups.

"
GenJTC wrote:
Knockback is always applied to targets when using the Chin Sol unique bow to attack, resulting in constant mobile bleed damage from Puncture to even stationary targets.

Knockback is an on-Hit effect, moving the target for a fraction of a second. Puncture's Bleed does not Hit (same as all Damage over Time effects), and thus does not trigger Knockback. Stationary targets aren't going to be taking any bonus Damage.

Trap/Mine/Totem interaction is going to change soon. Mark's posts on the subject. Mine Damage will no longer apply to the stuff your Trap does, so the Mine support becomes pointless for the purposes of stacking Damage.

"
GenJTC wrote:
[Helm] Ice Nova - Trap - Increased Area of Effect - Elemental Weakness

I'm pretty sure you can apply Trap to Curses, so this is going to be a little awkward. :P
Also not entirely sure what the Ice Nova is doing there in the first place?

Burning Damage requires more than just a bunch of Fire Damage and EP. Against enemies with 50% Resists, your Burn Damage is quartered; enemies with 75% Resists only take an eight (prepare to be sad). You kinda need Flammability and Fire Penetration bare minimum, and preferrably either Elemental Equilibrium or Elemental Weakness to back that up. EE is finicky, EW requires a +1 Curses modifier from somewhere. Crits are also generally the best for getting a big Burn down, due to being a tremendously potent way of getting high initial Hit Damage.
Worst part? Even with that you'll run into something that will just tank your Burn like it ain't no thing every now and then. Another case where Crits can really help.

A simple Lightning Arrow + Greater Multiple Projectiles nuke might be more reliable.

You hit the bare minimum of Life passives, topping out at 200%, but you only actually hit that point at well over 100 Passives; that takes a lot of time. You're always going to be running with fairly low amounts of Life, so a BM'ed Clarity definitely isn't an option.
abyssus helm (and maybe drillneck quiver) might do a lot of good for a puncture with those multipliers.
studying for GGG's C++ technical exam...
Last edited by ログよし on Jul 28, 2014, 9:23:09 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info