I am going to attempt to beat Standard with some very, very stupid rules.

the challenge sounds interesting, if not a bit too extreme.

I remember doing a solo, self-found, melee, no invaders skipped challenge in early (pre-nerf) Invasion.
got my ass kicked by the time I reached Act 3 Normal, and eventually died to an Invader.
one-shot.
let my eye off the ball for a second, and that was it.

remember to use any vendor recipes you can, Theros.
they are pretty much your only hope.
especially the one where 1 Orb Of Transmutation = 4 Wisdom Scrolls, and obviously the blue item mod crafting ones.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 28, 2014, 3:46:43 PM
"

You can't really lose Dark Souls; that doesn't mean it's not rock-hard.

Dark Souls is not that hard.

"

Your post isn't half as clever as you think it is.

I bet you're literally patting yourself on the back because you think just did an "told" moment.
Honestly, can't understand the hate. I play hardcore leagues exclusively because the chance of losing my entire character gives me more motivation and satisfaction when I play. But you know what? I think it is awesome that people play Standard. In fact, I find it embarrassing to be part of the hardcore group sometimes, due to all of the "heuheuheu scrubcore" opinions floating around.

Now that I'm done ranting, I think this will be a fun playthrough and I'm considering doing it on the new 4-month leagues. I'd personally plan on changing the rules to allow me and my real-life friends the ability to trade stuff we find with one another, I do find it enjoyable to trade with people I know.

I think my favorite experience on Diablo 2 was doing a self-found play through with Blues Only and No Trading enabled. I did it duo with a friend, but we literally only used blues we found or from vendors. It was a blast! We eventually got stuck on Hell Diablo due to being on hardcore and having chosen terrible builds for bosses lol.

I wish you luck, I can't wait to see how your progress works out, and I'll probably be joining you eventually!

Ignore the haters!
Team Won
"
johnKeys wrote:
the challenge sounds interesting, if not a bit too extreme.

I remember doing a solo, self-found, melee, no invaders skipped challenge in early (pre-nerf) Invasion.
got my ass kicked by the time I reached Act 3 Normal, and eventually died to an Invader.
one-shot.
let my eye off the ball for a second, and that was it.

remember to use any vendor recipes you can, Theros.
they are pretty much your only hope.
especially the one where 1 Orb Of Transmutation = 4 Wisdom Scrolls, and obviously the blue item mod crafting ones.

Geez, self-found melee in Invasion sounds painful, even without the stipulation of not skipping invaders. I mean, it's offset quite a bit by those vendor recipes for extra weapon damage, but I don't know if that could sustain you through the later game.

And yeah, I plan to abuse vendor recipes to high hell. Either gonna run a +levels sceptre + a shield, or a + spell damage sceptre + shield; and both of those have recipes, so hopefully it won't be too nerve-wracking.
Last edited by TherosPherae on Jul 28, 2014, 8:13:53 PM
I find the blue only challenge a lot of fun, but normally I trade for skill gems and convert my chaos to alts, and I'm in a HC league. Haven't made it past A1 Merc yet, but I'll try again in the next HC 4month.

Good luck!
Enjoying the thread fellow BLOWER! Good write ups as well. I think I actually prefer the diaries over the meta information stuff. Heh.

I really think the quest-gems only thing will be a real pain. All the best supports come from a single quest (merciless archives). Good luck with choosing your gems! :D
"
So much hate in this thread...

Sounds like fun! Really enjoying the little stories too!
Any chance you could edit those into the first post? That way one wouldn't have to go through each page of comments.

Good luck for the rest of the challenge :)

its not hate most ppl for example me cant see the challenge basicly i feel being mocked because what he sells as a challenge is what i and thousends of other hc player do every 4month without annoncing my progress in a thread and without dieing through the game

in a new league you work around the gems you get from quests + starting gem from char mules
you cant trade ....cause there are no items
you use vendor recipes to get the +1 gear % physicals
you cant buy bosskills ...cause noone is powerfull enough

so were is the challenge

guys ......i wil drive to work.......in my car.......on the road like thousend other ppl but wait....i make a blog for it
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Aug 1, 2014, 5:59:51 PM
no offense dude, but challenge =/= standard
Enjoying this; disregard the Negative Nancy's and be a Polly Positive!

Seriously, this is a fun idea and read; entertaining stories (why Fairgraves, why? I just want to sit down and slam some rum with you, ol pirate pal), and some challenge. Keep it up!
(1.2)Puncture/Ice Shot duelist - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1078942
(2.0)The Party Crasher - Hardcore viable Ice Crash Duelist - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1335704
Sorry about the long delay between updates, I had exams and other shit to deal with.

The Adventures of Kevin, Part III

Kevin's Diary
I emerged from the Siren's Cove to find myself set upon by a horde of monkeys, although I doubt that "horde" sufficiently describes the quantity of the little primates that I had to fight off. After killing enough of them to provide myself with some breathing room, I spotted a small bridge which led me to a primitive jungle encampment. The people here are as friendly and in need of assistance as the people from Lioneye's Watch were.

One particularly large, somewhat hostile man with a spear told me that there were Blackguards digging around in a ruin to the east, as well as something about boars - I was too shocked to continue listening. Blackguards, here, in this land of the damned. How strange. He asked that I investigate, and I decided to indulge my curiosity and find out what the Blackguards were up to.

On the way to the ruins, I was set upon by a rogue exile - a young woman who had given in to the taint that pollutes this land, and gone mad as a result. She was quick with her bow, but not quick enough; and upon inspecting her remains, found that she went by the name of Orra Greengate. I would have buried her, but the number of people whom I must kill lest they kill me grows too large to properly bury all the corpses - the number of bandits who attempted to waylay me en route to my destination was particularly large.

It would appear that the ruins were, in fact, the ruins of the "Chamber of Sins"; reportedly the laboratory of a thaumaturgist by the name of Maligaro. So, of course, the ruins were full to the brim with undead and necromancers who moved in after Maligaro vacated the premises. I can only wonder how many necromancers can be on one forsaken continent; regardless, I decimated their undead horde, along with a surprisingly large number of spiders. One would think that large hordes of undead would discourage the pests, but they seem to have instead gorged upon the unwitting, slow-moving zombies, and developed a rather poisonous bite to accompany their increased size.

While clearing the undead on the ground floor, I was once again taunted by Piety from behind an iron wall through which I could not reach or cast. It would seem like she is almost following me. Shortly afterwards, a young Blackguard woman stuck in a tree begged me to kill... something. She later called it Fidelitas, and I am still not quite sure what it was, but I can be sure that it rests in peace now.

I've currently made camp outside the ruins; the woman has gone on ahead to the encampment. Hopefully, this evening will bring me rest.

Meta Info

Current Level: 19
Current Gear

Went through Chamber of Sins. Fidelitas was tanky as fuck and took a bit of kiting to kill, but everything else went pretty smoothly.

"
ventiman wrote:

its not hate most ppl for example me cant see the challenge basicly i feel being mocked because what he sells as a challenge is what i and thousends of other hc player do every 4month without annoncing my progress in a thread and without dieing through the game

in a new league you work around the gems you get from quests + starting gem from char mules
you cant trade ....cause there are no items
you use vendor recipes to get the +1 gear % physicals
you cant buy bosskills ...cause noone is powerfull enough

so were is the challenge

guys ......i wil drive to work.......in my car.......on the road like thousend other ppl but wait....i make a blog for it

Oh wow, I wasn't aware that in new leagues you were required to specifically prevent yourself from using uniques, rare items, muled gems, or trading a bit for gear to make leveling smoother! Amazing!

"
Wiseman wrote:
no offense dude, but challenge =/= standard

Yea, your reading comprehension and argument formulation skills are unlike any other! Truly, none can compare to such an elegant, well-researched discursive post such as this. All others need simply cease their feeble attempts and gaze up in awe at your amazing, informative post to achieve true enlightenment!

On a more serious note, read the fuckin' thread and come back when you have something worthwhile to say that hasn't been said like fifteen times before, thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info