I am going to attempt to beat Standard with some very, very stupid rules.

The Adventures of Kevin, Part I

Kevin's Diary

I awoke today with a throbbing headache and water lapping around my knees. Not what one of the highest of the Templar's order would expect, but then again one of the highest of the Templar's order would not also expect to be convicted of heresy and then sent to a continent of the damned.

Regardless, I found only one other exile from the ship with half of a tree through his gut. I was going to end his misery and send him to the Lord, but a nearby zombie did so before I could. After a short fight, the zombie yielded a Glacial Hammer gem, which I used to purge a few more zombies and some of the surprisingly hostile wildlife, including a rather large zombie who I later discovered was named Hillock.

I found a small settlement along the coast - smaller than even a town, really. The townspeople seem more than willing to dispense resources to anyone able to destroy nearby evils - one man even gave me an Ice Nova gem for removing Hillock, and a Storm Call gem for removing a small thaumaturgical ward near the town. They're also more than willing to trade. A few wisdom scrolls gets me a shield and some boots, and after dispatching a few more roaming cannibals, who seem to be everywhere in almost neverending supply, I find a medicine chest for which I am given a flask and a choice of several inferior gems. I decline, as I would not be surprised if the insane sailor who offered them to me had tampered with the gems.

The townspeople also told me of an old prison from a prior empire full of undead. Well, it used to be full of undead - I have since laid them all to rest, including a large number of necromancers and their horrifying creations. Words cannot fully describe what they had done to what remained of the prison's warden - all I can say is that I am glad his soul is finally at rest. One insolent did manage to escape, however - a woman who called herself Piety of Theopolis, who teleported away after taunting me. I suspect that this is not the last I shall see of her.

It is remarkable how the evil of the land has spread - it has even managed to corrupt some of the weapons and armor used by my foes. I have never seen evil abused to such a disgusting extent, but I shall purge it all from this land in time. For now, however, I shall rest after slaying the abomination that was The Brute.

Meta Info

Current Level: 11
Current Gear

Pretty much just dealing with the first half of act 1 the normal way; had to stop after Brutus to take care of some IRL business. It's surprisingly easy, even without the cheesy gear I normally use to get through it.

"
oBLACKIECHANo wrote:
So basically you're going to do pretty much what everyone does at the start of a new league anyway, and in a league where it doesn't matter if you die?

What's the point again? Sounds pretty normal and fairly easy to me, merciless dominus would be an issue if you couldn't die, but you can, so it's incredibly easy.

I wasn't aware that everyone at the start of a league completely forgoes trading with other players, using rares/uniques, muling, dropped gems, or parties.

"
teemu92 wrote:
Good luck!

"
rrtson wrote:
"
I am going to attempt to beat Standard with some very, very stupid rules.

Phew. Good thing you used the right word there, instead of something like "hardcore". At least you're aware of the stupidity of your rules. Best of luck on the challenge.

Thanks. :D

"
NeroNoah wrote:
Cool. You should count the hours playing too.
And your orb usage if you need to craft your items.

The game tracks playtime - just type /played into the chatbox.
I would track orb usage, but I know I'd forget it for a playsession or accidentally delete the log, so it's probably safer to not bother.

"
kasub wrote:
Just do selffound hardcore instead of all those rules.

No.

Edit: Forgot flasks, whoops!
Last edited by TherosPherae on Jul 27, 2014, 9:27:25 PM
Heck, I played most of those by default. :P

The most interesting, I think you'll find, is the quest-only skill gem factor. I did that a lot and it really changes how you look at that game.

But seriously, if anyone can rock it, it's you.

Maybe a Shadow with the same conditions after you're done with the old man for a *real* challenge? :P
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
None of the challenges make the game actually more challenging outside of choosing to farm the game in a specific way until you get xyz or bored enough.

You need a time limiter on it.
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
None of the challenges make the game actually more challenging outside of choosing to farm the game in a specific way until you get xyz or bored enough.

You seriously think only using the skill gems from quests don't make the game more challenging?

Give it a go and find out for yourself.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

You seriously think only using the skill gems from quests don't make the game more challenging?

Give it a go and find out for yourself.

Most people do completely selffound till 60+ in new leagues.

Any restriction obviously makes the game more challenging. Not using rares/uniques being the biggest one.
Last edited by kasub on Jul 27, 2014, 8:30:36 PM
I didn't know that, kasub. I figured they were trading for the skill gems they wanted asap.

On the other hand, are you including muling ST? Because Theros is clearly not doing that. :P

Thanks for the insight. :)

Playing characters that get all relevant skill gems for leveling is something that's often done(templar/scion being the best). You also don't need much supports early in the league. 2-3 links is the norm for non melee skills.

Trading will happen often at the highest levels but the majority of players are not that competitive. I can't really back this up but most people are casual or semi casual and won't care about trading till further into the league.

Last edited by kasub on Jul 27, 2014, 8:42:53 PM
Fair enough. Could be why I suggested Theros do a Shadow for increased challenge -- in my experience, the quest reward gems there can be...less than satisfying at times.

Either way, bowing out now just to watch how this goes.

It's really to do with the kind of builds you start a league with ->

Typically you start a league with a build like DD or Flameblast Prolif which requires no extra skill gems.

For Shadow, it really depends on the build you do -> if it's buzzsaw you will need to mule and buy Reduced Mana and auras (I cba with this and just roll Scion for buzzsaws). If you are making a Shadow trapper/caster however, it's far more manageable.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
"
RagnarokChu wrote:

Maybe if I run this challenge again, I'll stick on a time limit. As-is, it looks like it's going to be difficult enough for me, since I'm electing to avoid flameblast/DD/Searing Bond cheese; plus this will be a good way of determining what the time limit on this challenge should be if I decide to do it again.

"
Charan wrote:
Heck, I played most of those by default. :P

The most interesting, I think you'll find, is the quest-only skill gem factor. I did that a lot and it really changes how you look at that game.

But seriously, if anyone can rock it, it's you.

Maybe a Shadow with the same conditions after you're done with the old man for a *real* challenge? :P

I was actually considering Shadow first for this challenge, since I built a pretty decent Shadow trapper in the 1-week a while back. But my desire to toy with Iron Will won out over my desire to build yet another trapper.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info