I am going to attempt to beat Standard with some very, very stupid rules.

Feel free to join me in this insane endeavor if you wish.

Here is the ruleset I will be following:
1. The character will not trade with other players. Ever. Vendors are okay, though.
2. The character will not remove items from my stash except for one tab which starts empty at the start of the challenge.
3. The character will only equip magic or white items. No getting lucky and cheesing a Goldrim off of Hillock to wear for the rest of the game - all uniques and rares will either be thrown away, vendored, or stashed for character who aren't following ridiculous rules.
4. The character will not use any dropped gems, only gems from quests.
5. The character will not join parties at any time.

I'm mostly doing this to freshen the game up, since it's gotten a bit stale for me recently, but also as a trial run to determine how playable the game is without trading. I'll be playing in standard partly because my connection likes to die out every so often, and partly to gain a complete understanding of how the endgame is without powerful rares which I wouldn't gain if I died while making a mistake against the Oversoul.

I'll be cataloging the adventures of Kevin the Azure, Templar Extraordinaire after every play session, to include his current gearset, progress through Standard, and probably a little bit of shitty story writing.

Also, credit where it's due, this is not my idea. It's been done by RaizQT before (in Nemesis no less!), whose progress is documented in this thread as well as his Twitch history, and NotRegret, whose adventures are documented in this thread.

Let the games begin!

The Adventures of Kevin
The Adventures of Kevin, Part I

Kevin's Diary

I awoke today with a throbbing headache and water lapping around my knees. Not what one of the highest of the Templar's order would expect, but then again one of the highest of the Templar's order would not also expect to be convicted of heresy and then sent to a continent of the damned.

Regardless, I found only one other exile from the ship with half of a tree through his gut. I was going to end his misery and send him to the Lord, but a nearby zombie did so before I could. After a short fight, the zombie yielded a Glacial Hammer gem, which I used to purge a few more zombies and some of the surprisingly hostile wildlife, including a rather large zombie who I later discovered was named Hillock.

I found a small settlement along the coast - smaller than even a town, really. The townspeople seem more than willing to dispense resources to anyone able to destroy nearby evils - one man even gave me an Ice Nova gem for removing Hillock, and a Storm Call gem for removing a small thaumaturgical ward near the town. They're also more than willing to trade. A few wisdom scrolls gets me a shield and some boots, and after dispatching a few more roaming cannibals, who seem to be everywhere in almost neverending supply, I find a medicine chest for which I am given a flask and a choice of several inferior gems. I decline, as I would not be surprised if the insane sailor who offered them to me had tampered with the gems.

The townspeople also told me of an old prison from a prior empire full of undead. Well, it used to be full of undead - I have since laid them all to rest, including a large number of necromancers and their horrifying creations. Words cannot fully describe what they had done to what remained of the prison's warden - all I can say is that I am glad his soul is finally at rest. One insolent did manage to escape, however - a woman who called herself Piety of Theopolis, who teleported away after taunting me. I suspect that this is not the last I shall see of her.

It is remarkable how the evil of the land has spread - it has even managed to corrupt some of the weapons and armor used by my foes. I have never seen evil abused to such a disgusting extent, but I shall purge it all from this land in time. For now, however, I shall rest after slaying the abomination that was The Brute.

Meta Info

Current Level: 11
Current Gear

Pretty much just dealing with the first half of act 1 the normal way; had to stop after Brutus to take care of some IRL business. It's surprisingly easy, even without the cheesy gear I normally use to get through it.

The Adventures of Kevin, Part II

Kevin's Diary

I returned to town after slaying the Brute, and was rewarded with a Glacial Cascade gem, and information about the next point in my journey: Siren's Cove, reportedly home to a sailor-murdering siren by the name of Merveil, mother of the squids I had encountered in a cave on my way to the prison. On the way, I stumbled into another cove, and found a young girl - dead, of course, like almost everything on this continent - huddled around a lantern. I later found via conversation with a stranded Captain Fairgraves that this lantern was "his Allflame." He then attempted to kill me over it; I still don't understand why. Regardless, he paid for the attempt with his life. Upon hearing that the esteemed Fairgraves had died, Bestel gave me a book of his scribblings. Quite kind of him, for an insane man.

I progressed toward the Cave, slaying more and more of the Siren's children. I still wonder exactly how the Siren managed to birth this many monsters - they seem to be almost pouring out of the walls. Some of them, larger than the others, would summon others who would explode with no regard for themselves; a destructive strategy, to be sure.

Eventually I made my way to the lair of the Siren, guided by images she seemed to be projecting to me. A shame for her that I am no mere sailor, and that I had no interest in her riches; if I did, I would likely have lost my life while scrambling for all the gold in her lair. Instead, I slayed the Siren, only for her to reveal her actual form and summon a horde of her children. But I am not swayed by hordes, and neither am I swayed by the song of sirens; the monster lies dead in her cove, and a door to a nearby forest has opened.

A change of scenery should be nice.

Meta Info

Current Level: 15
Current Gear

Dealt with the latter half of act 1. It's still pretty easy, although Merveil's first form tanked a surprising number of Storm Calls.

The Adventures of Kevin, Part III

Kevin's Diary
I emerged from the Siren's Cove to find myself set upon by a horde of monkeys, although I doubt that "horde" sufficiently describes the quantity of the little primates that I had to fight off. After killing enough of them to provide myself with some breathing room, I spotted a small bridge which led me to a primitive jungle encampment. The people here are as friendly and in need of assistance as the people from Lioneye's Watch were.

One particularly large, somewhat hostile man with a spear told me that there were Blackguards digging around in a ruin to the east, as well as something about boars - I was too shocked to continue listening. Blackguards, here, in this land of the damned. How strange. He asked that I investigate, and I decided to indulge my curiosity and find out what the Blackguards were up to.

On the way to the ruins, I was set upon by a rogue exile - a young woman who had given in to the taint that pollutes this land, and gone mad as a result. She was quick with her bow, but not quick enough; and upon inspecting her remains, found that she went by the name of Orra Greengate. I would have buried her, but the number of people whom I must kill lest they kill me grows too large to properly bury all the corpses - the number of bandits who attempted to waylay me en route to my destination was particularly large.

It would appear that the ruins were, in fact, the ruins of the "Chamber of Sins"; reportedly the laboratory of a thaumaturgist by the name of Maligaro. So, of course, the ruins were full to the brim with undead and necromancers who moved in after Maligaro vacated the premises. I can only wonder how many necromancers can be on one forsaken continent; regardless, I decimated their undead horde, along with a surprisingly large number of spiders. One would think that large hordes of undead would discourage the pests, but they seem to have instead gorged upon the unwitting, slow-moving zombies, and developed a rather poisonous bite to accompany their increased size.

While clearing the undead on the ground floor, I was once again taunted by Piety from behind an iron wall through which I could not reach or cast. It would seem like she is almost following me. Shortly afterwards, a young Blackguard woman stuck in a tree begged me to kill... something. She later called it Fidelitas, and I am still not quite sure what it was, but I can be sure that it rests in peace now.

I've currently made camp outside the ruins; the woman has gone on ahead to the encampment. Hopefully, this evening will bring me rest.

Meta Info

Current Level: 19
Current Gear

Went through Chamber of Sins. Fidelitas was tanky as fuck and took a bit of kiting to kill, but everything else went pretty smoothly.
Last edited by TherosPherae on Aug 3, 2014, 6:19:26 PM

cool looking forward to the writeups
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an
3 should include self-found rares. The game won't be playable without them.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

If the goal is just to beat Merciless Dominus then it's doable without rares. Well rolled blues with life and the resists you need will get you resist capped, and you can use a cheesy skill like Searing Bond or Flameblast to get enough damage. I agree that not using rares seems like kind of an arbitrary restriction though.
Last edited by carkasjak on Jul 27, 2014, 6:14:37 PM
"
carkasjak wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

If the goal is just to beat Merciless Dominus then it's doable without rares. Well rolled blues with life and the resists you need will get you resist capped, and you can use a cheesy skill like Searing Bond or Flameblast to get enough damage. I agree that not using rares seems like kind of an arbitrary restriction though.

It's mostly there to prevent the element of luck from being a huge factor. If I'm going along just fine, and happen to find a really amazing wand/sceptre/hat/whatever in act 1 merci, it's probably going to carry me through the rest of the game, and I'd rather get a better analysis of how playable things are without that kind of luck.

Also, I'm planning to avoid obviously cheesy skills like Flameblast and Searing Bond - again, to get an accurate assessment of how well things work.
Last edited by TherosPherae on Jul 27, 2014, 6:27:58 PM
So basically you're going to do pretty much what everyone does at the start of a new league anyway, and in a league where it doesn't matter if you die?

What's the point again? Sounds pretty normal and fairly easy to me, merciless dominus would be an issue if you couldn't die, but you can, so it's incredibly easy.
Last edited by oBLACKIECHANo on Jul 27, 2014, 6:50:57 PM
Good luck!
Steam: teemu92
"
I am going to attempt to beat Standard with some very, very stupid rules.

Phew. Good thing you used the right word there, instead of something like "hardcore". At least you're aware of the stupidity of your rules. Best of luck on the challenge.
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Cool. You should count the hours playing too.
And your orb usage if you need to craft your items.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
Just do selffound hardcore instead of all those rules.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info