No Sound - Generic Software on Realtek

I just installed the game, and I have no sound what-so-ever. I use an ASUS DCII GTX 780, i5-4670k, Sabertooth Z87, Kraken Pro USB headphones... this is the only game I have ever had a sound issue with in any game I've ever played, and I just can't figure out how to fix it. It's a fresh install, I didn't change any settings. The "Generic Software on Realtek" is grey, so I can't even change the sound settings... any help?
Last bumped on Apr 17, 2016, 12:42:46 PM
Try without the USB headphones, and try restarting PoE (might have to reboot PC as well).

If it still doesn't work, try adding -swa to your shortcut target (or launch options if you're using Steam). Let us know if it still doesn't work.
How do I add "-swa" to launch using steam
Hey there,

If you right-click Path of Exile in your Steam Library you can select Properties > General > Launch Options. Adding -swa here should apply to your Steam PoE Client.

If this doesn't help, be sure to right click your volume icon in the system tray and verify your playback devices are working properly.
Need Support? support@grindinggear.com.
Adding -swa to launch worked. Thanks guys!
Sorry for raising the thread from the grave, but I have the same problem with realtek.

I can get the sound to work through my USB headset, but not through the onboard sound card. I've had no problem until I installed the game again this year.

If I use the -swa command sound also disappears from my headset...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info