Take twenty minutes, and you'll walk away feeling so much smarter.

A TedX talk about the history of reading by Seth Lerer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_Z5HNRC_Ic

This dude is my favourite scholar, possibly ever. Almost impossibly accessible, entertaining, articulate...but most importantly, effortlessly pedagogical.

There are a lot of Ted and TedX talks out there, but very few of them are as historically fascinating *and relevant to the contemporary* as this one.

I have a bunch of lectures on mp3 by this guy and can't recall how many times I've listened to them.

Particular to this video and its relevance to what we do here, every day, the stuff about online diction being 'faux-intimate' (and thus correct grammar and spelling is perceived as cold and distance) is reaaaaaally telling.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 23, 2014, 11:27:45 PM
I don't have time to watch that this morning, but I will get back to it.

My personal favorite is (was) a show called The Day the Universe Changed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REKRLYoz2fc
Given your inclination towards writing and for the computer at that, you especially should give this a look and listen. The distinctions drawn between reading a scroll, a codex, a book, a screen and now e-readers are very insightful.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Believe me, I will. Just I have to get ready for work. So 22 minutes is too long right now. I am taking off this weekend too. When my wife isn't hogging the laptop, I will watch it then.

Also I can't remember the name of the show right now, but it was all about the English language and how it evolved. Once I can find it, I'll post it here, but got to get up and do some more pre-work shit.
Okay, you talked me into it. Loading it now.

I'm a big fan of "Choice, Happiness and Spaghetti Sauce."
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Doubt you'll get much out of it, but hey. Seth is a genius.

Hmm. Should I take it as a coincidence that, last semester, I took a humanities class where the early gospels, the Confession of Saint Augustine, and Dante's Divine Comedy where all required reading? We even covered codexes.

I mean, I probably would have felt a lot smarter after those 20 minutes, but some other professor got to me first.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 24, 2014, 7:53:38 PM
Stop trying to impress anyone here. It's not going to happen.

Okay, so you've read those texts, and you've attended classes on them. So had I.

What I bet neither of us had experienced during that time was Seth Lerer's lecture using said texts as springboards to explore our relationship with the word in its various printed forms, from scroll through to e-reader. Any scholar who would dismiss a lecture because they've been to classes on the case studies...eh, that's no scholar at all.

If all you got from this video was 'oh, texts I've read, yawn'...I was right. You didn't get much out of it.

PS Codices.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 24, 2014, 8:00:18 PM
ILICISCOMK
LOL. I liked that he'd actually received an email that said 'passionate kiss on the lips.' Go Seth.

But the real treat is at 13 minutes or so.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info